Meet Firefox 4.0.1

What they're releasing for a RC doesn't seem bad, just a bit rushed.

I think the polish will come in for Fx 4.0x.

IMHO, the RC doesn't feel polished/refined enough. Falls short in terms of performance, I've experienced random freezing when I scroll using the middle-button held down.

But on the bright side, its not as crappy as the earlier betas, it finally feels as fast as the nightlies (except for the scrolling kinks).

Firefox 4 is rushed.

Proof,

Load a page with 30+ smilies (if gamer rig, try 500 smilies), compare CPU usage of FF vs Chrome.

Compare CPU usage of FF vs Chrome.

Firefox 4 is rushed.

Proof,

Load a page with 30+ smilies (if gamer rig, try 500 smilies), compare CPU usage of FF vs Chrome.

It was supposed to be released last year....it's anything but rushed

Firefox 4 is rushed.

Proof,

So? There's room for improvement. So? Should we be comparing a browser made by contributions of volunteers to those made by Google (and copied by others) and Microsoft?

I installed this RC on my windows7, and I noticed that the right-click menu box shadow is gone. Any way to re-enable it?

Edit\- this affects all menus in firefox I just noticed.

So? There's room for improvement. So? Should we be comparing a browser made by contributions of volunteers to those made by Google (and copied by others) and Microsoft?

more proof it's unpolished, go to the bookmark manager, they didn't even bother to reskin it, it still has the old style buttons

Major performance issue with animated GIFS has not been fixed.

There is major room for improvement.

The issue should have been fixed.

GIFs are used quite often, see the right side of the reply box.

Yes. Yes we should.

I installed this RC on my windows7, and I noticed that the right-click menu box shadow is gone. Any way to re-enable it?

Edit\- this affects all menus in firefox I just noticed.

starnge, i'm on RC and W7 too and see all the shadows...

starnge, i'm on RC and W7 too and see all the shadows...

Hmm wierd...it is really bugging me. The text that pops up when hovering over links etc dont have shadows either. There must be a way to re-enable them.

Edit\- Think I found the problem. When I switched back to default Win7 aero theme, the shadows are back...so I guess it is a problem only when using 3rd party themes.

Hmm wierd...it is really bugging me. The text that pops up when hovering over links etc dont have shadows either. There must be a way to re-enable them.

Edit\- Think I found the problem. When I switched back to default Win7 aero theme, the shadows are back...so I guess it is a problem only when using 3rd party themes.

yes it could be that! Anyway popups don't have shadows...

sigh... after such a long wait the damn thing looks like hell. Out of all the "new" browsers FF4 looks the worse by far IMO

i know it can look nice with themes etc but why cant it look decent right out the box

might got back to FF3.6 till some decent themes are out

:rolleyes: :(

Hi,

Is there a code for .css which allows to have a multirow bookmark toolbar for Firefox 4.0?

The code I used on 3.6 isn't efficient anymore, and I'm not able to create a new one.

Thank you all for this thread, very interesting :p

sigh... after such a long wait the damn thing looks like hell. Out of all the "new" browsers FF4 looks the worse by far IMO

i know it can look nice with themes etc but why cant it look decent right out the box

You do not have to use the default theme and you may want to take a look at this topic.

https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/921416-share-your-custom-firefoxminefield-4-stylish-scripts/

Out of the box i think it looks great (On Windows 7 anyhow), How often are you looking at the none themed portions of the browser for them to matter all that much. I spend 99% of my time looking at web pages and the navigation buttons nothing else. And I think it looks great. and Functions rather well to boot.

It definitely could look better "out of the box", but it surely looks better than 3.6. You couldn't pay me to go back to it.

UI changes are coming in the next Firefox. Hopefully more devs are free to do some UX work next time around.

I don't care if it looks so bad I'm gonna puke, as long they allow me to customize it, I'm fine with it.

But GIF needs the fix, most people visit sites with a bunch of it (I don't but it's giving FF the bad rep)

you think that FF4's look is bad and you return to the out-of-the-90's-look FF 3.6? :blink:

Uhm, because there are people who do not think that after such a long wait the damn thing looks like hell and out of all the "new" browsers FF4 looks the worse by far.

There is not one look that will satisfy everyone. FF solves this by having a customizable interface. I don't have the numbers, but I'm pretty sure the UI team does a UI that will cater more people and is do-able (which I've read somewhere is the reason why tabs are back to square, some issues with windows). Some people don't like the fancy buttons and the colorful whatever. Some people like to put every single color there is on their browser. Some want to see every single button on their browser. Some want it full screen to remove all the clutter. Some want to look as full screen as possible without going full screen. You can do it on FF.