Latest Windows Phone 7 emulator ROM unlocked, has Office

Latest Windows Phone 7 emulator ROM unlocked, has Office and other goodies

wp7-rom-0429-xda-developers.jpg

So the ROM included with the Windows Phone 7 Developer Tools refresh that was launched this week (to get it up to speed with the final release of Visual Studio 2010) has already been unlocked and torn apart over on xda-developers, and as you might expect, there are quite a few changes and additions in here versus what we've seen in the previous release. The most notable change appears to be the inclusion of Office, but we've also got dialer and in-call user interfaces, call history, call notifications (using Windows Phone 7's standard notification paradigm, of course), and a method for uninstalling apps. Clearly, we're still a long way from going final with this thing -- and fortunately, Microsoft has given itself basically the rest of the year to get it good and solid. Andele, ladies and gentlemen.

Via Windows Phone Developer Blog, The Gadgets

Source xda-developers

Source: Engadget

Is Office actually working on that build? I'd love to see what it looks like with the new "metro" UI.

Outlook looks horrible... All metro UI is a bunch of crap that they squished together. Most of it can't even fit on the screen. Not professional at all. High school and college kids will probably love it, but for business people it is discusting... IMO and from some other comments i've heard about it.

Outlook looks horrible... All metro UI is a bunch of crap that they squished together. Most of it can't even fit on the screen. Not professional at all. High school and college kids will probably love it, but for business people it is discusting... IMO and from some other comments i've heard about it.

I don't think you've actually seen it in action

Ummm, no. Outlook looks great. Best mobile emial app IMO. If you don't like thw color sheme that's one thing, but the UI does it's job well and is easy to understand and use.

You're part of the minority who thinks Metro doesn't look good.

• Like 1

You're part of the minority who thinks Metro doesn't look good.

Did you do an elaborate field study backing that up?

I'm really tired of the "METRO UI SUX!" opinions around here... If you don't like it, kiss up to your Android and iPhone and Palm, etc, threads instead of coming here.

I love Metro UI and believe it's a big step forward. :)

Did you do an elaborate field study backing that up?

Maybe I did? That won't change anyones opinion though.

• Like 1

What I thought, it just doesn't fit with the UI IMO and that on-screen keyboard is just laughable. I don't like to write things off until I see them in action but Metro in its current form might not be powerful enough for apps with too many features.

What I thought, it just doesn't fit with the UI IMO and that on-screen keyboard is just laughable. I don't like to write things off until I see them in action but Metro in its current form might not be powerful enough for apps with too many features.

What is wrong with the keyboard? Not trying to say you're wrong or anything, I'm just curious.

What is wrong with the keyboard? Not trying to say you're wrong or anything, I'm just curious.

There are no visual buttons other than the actual characters. That might not work that well when you have a lot of text or graphics.

There are no visual buttons other than the actual characters. That might not work that well when you have a lot of text or graphics.

It was stated back at MIX, if not originally at MWC, that the on-screen KB in use now is temp and not final. The same for many of the buttons we see. Lots oare just placeholders. It's far more important that the underlying features and apps work first. After that's out of the way they can iron out the UI.

Good progress...I am just still waiting to know whether in *jailbroken* phone at will we be able to run full fledged .net CF or else, whether or not windows mobile 6.5 is gonna be a separate branch and move furthere on, making WP7 consumer based..

These are still CTP's though, which aren't even beta stage. If the next update is a Beta 1 or something that should give us a better idea of how things will really be.