best place to buy visual basic 6

Question

14 answers to this question

Why visual basic 6? It's very old and there's way better available today. The programs it creates forces the ugly windows 98 look even in Aero. I hate it when people make programs that don't theme with modern themes!

Why visual basic 6? It's very old and there's way better available today. The programs it creates forces the ugly windows 98 look even in Aero. I hate it when people make programs that don't theme with modern themes!

He might have to maintain an application that was written in VB6? who knows. Also some people prefer it to VB.NET (sure you don't get the fancy .NET framework but it's still ok)

some schools may still have it. i know for a fact that in my old high school they are still using vb6 for their introductory programing class because the school just doesn't have money to buy new licenses and the basics are the same....

i remember buying a student version for like $20 back in teh day. if i still had the cds i would mail them to you...

Yeah but that just means more programs that FORCES classic theme controls even in Aero. I cannot stand that crap!

It's not forcing anything, it just pre-dates the XP theming system, so it doesn't do the required API call.

You can add it in, and it'll work fine.

It's not even so much the UI that's the problem. VB6 shouldn't be touched with a bargepole - VB.net is a modern, powerful language that's on par with C#, yet still has a bad image because of its association with VB6.

Well, that doesn't help for people like me, who don't MAKE the programs. I have several programs I need to use that don't theme properly. Without the source code to said programs, I cannot force them to either. I think Microsoft is stupid to not try to theme those controls anyways. It's inconsistent and ugly as sin.

Yes, I tried doing the silly xml manifest file thing and calling it appname.exe.manifest, it NEVER works for me on ANY app that doesn't theme.

Anyways, people who make apps in VB6 today are just going to contribute more to the problem. VB6 is before XP's time.

Also, if schools are still using VB6.. what if someone's using Windows 7 HP x64, which I hear VB6 doesn't like to run in real well? Would the school expect them to know how to find virtualization software and an XP license in order to use the program?

It's not even so much the UI that's the problem. VB6 shouldn't be touched with a bargepole - VB.net is a modern, powerful language that's on par with C#, yet still has a bad image because of its association with VB6.

I find that VB.NET is so close to C# that at this point there isn't much of a point for it, might as well just use C# if you're aiming for a .NET app

Heh, the only thing I hate about .NET in vs2008, is there's no MENU control that looks like normal menus. It instead uses some weird gradient based menu with flat white menus that ALSO don't look consistent with the OS. =/

Also, if schools are still using VB6.. what if someone's using Windows 7 HP x64, which I hear VB6 doesn't like to run in real well? Would the school expect them to know how to find virtualization software and an XP license in order to use the program?

No, they would just expect them to use the school's computer

It is there on MSDN.

I thought they took it off....well I'm wrong....in this case MSDN would be a great way to get it (and a lot of other stuff)