Holy ****; Just changed from one router/modem to another

Im still hitting 1.5 MB on speedtest :(

A download from the Ubuntu site is now barely hitting 0.5 MB :(

A Ubuntu torrent is hitting 1.5 MB

God, Im going to have to fight AGAIN against my ISP??? This is bull****.

I rather NOT talk to them so if anyone has any other suggestions........

(BTW, there is no bandwidth throttling here before anyone suggests that)

Browsing is about the same speed as the new router from my ISP. Im now on the 2nd router.

(

Just to recap:

1st router is broken.

2nd router I bought, was working great, hitting 3 MB speeds, connected to my DD-WRT router.

3rd router was from my ISP

)

God, Im going to have to fight AGAIN against my ISP??? This is bull****.

Yeah, well what do you expect? Your post is confusing, you left out criticial information, your thoughts are poorly organized, and you're a bit angry. The problem could be on the ISP's end, it could be a problem with both routers (unusual), it could be a problem with your computer, or it could be a problem with the person using the computer. 2 pages into this thread and we still have no idea where to start troubleshooting.

Yeah, well what do you expect? Your post is confusing, you left out criticial information, your thoughts are poorly organized, and you're a bit angry. The problem could be on the ISP's end, it could be a problem with both routers (unusual), it could be a problem with your computer, or it could be a problem with the person using the computer. 2 pages into this thread and we still have no idea where to start troubleshooting.

Well what do you expect if you can't read?

Well what do you expect if you can't read?

Your attitude with people who are trying to help you here leaves a lot to be desired. And there really was no need to start a second thread about the same problem. That kind of activity generally earns warnings from mods around here.

Your attitude with people who are trying to help you here leaves a lot to be desired. And there really was no need to start a second thread about the same problem. That kind of activity generally earns warnings from mods around here.

We are getting offtopic so this will be my last comment on the issue :)

I made another thread because here we are talking about a speed gain and why when I switched routers. The other thread is about a problem I have currently.

OK - so, from what you just described, you have the following:

[Cable Service]--------[New Modem/Router]------[LinkSys DD-WRT]-----[Computer]

#1 #2 #3

Can we assume that you have all of the configs for each of the routers so that #3's settings are to use #2 as the Gateway Address and that #2 is using #1 for it's Gateway Address?

Can we also assume that you have the subnet addresses done properly, so that the WAN port on #2 is within the same subnet as the LAN side of #1, and that the same method is used between #3 and #2?

Try doing some *serious* ping tests from #3 to #1 - like doing "ping -t -l 64000" and see if there are any dropped packets.

I know that some of this might seem to be somewhat obvious, but if one doesn't ask...

--ScottKin

so please tell me, who is your ISP and is this cable or DSL?

model of old modem...

model of new modem...

model of old router...

model of new router...

The problem likely lies with the modem and the line.

OK - so, from what you just described, you have the following:

[Cable Service]--------[New Modem/Router]------[LinkSys DD-WRT]-----[Computer]

#1 #2 #3

Can we assume that you have all of the configs for each of the routers so that #3's settings are to use #2 as the Gateway Address and that #2 is using #1 for it's Gateway Address?

Can we also assume that you have the subnet addresses done properly, so that the WAN port on #2 is within the same subnet as the LAN side of #1, and that the same method is used between #3 and #2?

Try doing some *serious* ping tests from #3 to #1 - like doing "ping -t -l 64000" and see if there are any dropped packets.

I know that some of this might seem to be somewhat obvious, but if one doesn't ask...

--ScottKin

I can't ping #3 to #1 as #1 is in bridge mode. I can ping #3 to #2.

[Topics merged]

I would have perfered you merge the old topic with the new topic (so title and first post had the text of the new topic) instead of the new topic with the old topic :(

so please tell me, who is your ISP and is this cable or DSL?

model of old modem...

model of new modem...

model of old router...

model of new router...

The problem likely lies with the modem and the line.

Im using a router/modem on all of them except the DD-WRT router.

The one I personally bought is a SMC7904WBRA2. This one was giving me 3 MB and the only problem is that during the lat night (such as now) the connection dropped every 1 to 2 hours for about 5 minutes. Now (I have switched to OpenDNS) I still have 1.5 MB and the connection has (AFAIK) dropped only once. Browsing seems to be faster, open switching to OpenDNS.

The one my ISP gave me is a Sagem Fast 2604. This one started with the 1.5 MB problem.

This is pretty much the situation with ADSL Max in the UK (I think) on long length lines. If you sync during the daytime, say the morning or early afternoon, the strength of the line is usually stronger and you have a higher SNR as a result, which in turn gets you a higher sync speed to the exchange. This is usually a problem if you sync at that time because as night comes the SNR starts to drop and the line becomes unstable and causes a connection and sync drop, and then reconnected at a lower sync speed.

3.5 Mbps is what I would get if I sync in the day, but I'd eventually lose that in the evening and the router re-syncs itself down to 3.0 Mbps and stays stable for days/weeks after that. It does become inconvenient if I had power loss during the day as it would sync at a high rate again, and then have to endure another re-sync as evening approaches.

To summarise: sync your router at night for the "stable sync rate" if you want good uptime on it.

This is pretty much the situation with ADSL Max in the UK (I think) on long length lines. If you sync during the daytime, say the morning or early afternoon, the strength of the line is usually stronger and you have a higher SNR as a result, which in turn gets you a higher sync speed to the exchange. This is usually a problem if you sync at that time because as night comes the SNR starts to drop and the line becomes unstable and causes a connection and sync drop, and then reconnected at a lower sync speed.

3.5 Mbps is what I would get if I sync in the day, but I'd eventually lose that in the evening and the router re-syncs itself down to 3.0 Mbps and stays stable for days/weeks after that. It does become inconvenient if I had power loss during the day as it would sync at a high rate again, and then have to endure another re-sync as evening approaches.

To summarise: sync your router at night for the "stable sync rate" if you want good uptime on it.

Im not in the UK and Im pretty sure that when my connection fell also during the day and it would connect again, I would pretty much get once again 2-3 MB.

Thanks for the suggestion anyways :)

I would stop using the dd-wrt and do some testings by connecting a pc directly to the modem/router in order to find Which router is the bottleneck.

Before doing any tests, check your dsl filters, then look in your modem admin page for the connections and pay attention to the details related to the noise in the line. Your adsl modem should match the operating dsl mode: Adsl, Adsl2,adsl2+

also the modems have a bandwidth limit for both uplink and downlink.

Restart your mode and disable QoS (traffic prioritization) and start a speed test by downloading a file for a few minutes via FTP, you can try something like a Linux distro.

If you get almost full speed then blame this modem/router, if not you will need to check the dd-wrt router.

I would stop using the dd-wrt and do some testings by connecting a pc directly to the modem/router in order to find Which router is the bottleneck.

Before doing any tests, check your dsl filters, then look in your modem admin page for the connections and pay attention to the details related to the noise in the line. Your adsl modem should match the operating dsl mode: Adsl, Adsl2,adsl2+

also the modems have a bandwidth limit for both uplink and downlink.

Restart your mode and disable QoS (traffic prioritization) and start a speed test by downloading a file for a few minutes via FTP, you can try something like a Linux distro.

If you get almost full speed then blame this modem/router, if not you will need to check the dd-wrt router.

My problem is that WHY would it be the fault of my DD-WRT router when it was working perfectly before hooking up the new router sent by my ISP? It would make no sense at all......

It seems like the new router by the ISP came with a virus or something and slowed down my access :laugh:

My problem is that WHY would it be the fault of my DD-WRT router when it was working perfectly before hooking up the new router sent by my ISP? It would make no sense at all......

It seems like the new router by the ISP came with a virus or something and slowed down my access :laugh:

Thought about it the rest of the day but doesnt make any sense why this would happen (eg why it would be my DD-WRT router's fault)

You've been given so many different pieces of advice on this thread and other than telling us what you have, we've got no results back from what you've done.

I say if your not going to listen and try what people on here are suggesting then just be quiet and stick with your slower speed, either that or start trying what people are suggesting or call your ISP.

I hooked up my ISP's router directly to my PC and still 1.5 MB

I called up my ISP and they have opened a investigation to look at it.

Should have a call from them in some days.

After weeks of trying to resolve a similar problem to yours (many disconnections and varying connection speed) a BT engineer rerouted my line. (I'm assuming you're from the UK but you never said.)

The green boxes on the street usually have several different routes to your local exchange and simply switching to a different one can work around any problems on your current line.

On top of this, you could try a different filter on your router, get an adsl filtered face plate and make sure that your ring wire isn't connected to your internal wiring.

Test your routers on the test socket first, if that doesn't improve the situation, then I'd suggest it's probably not the cause.

Testsocket2.jpg

Now, if you're not in the UK then I just wasted 5 minutes of my time :)

After weeks of trying to resolve a similar problem to yours (many disconnections and varying connection speed) a BT engineer rerouted my line. (I'm assuming you're from the UK but you never said.)

The green boxes on the street usually have several different routes to your local exchange and simply switching to a different one can work around any problems on your current line.

On top of this, you could try a different filter on your router, get an adsl filtered face plate and make sure that your ring wire isn't connected to your internal wiring.

Test your routers on the test socket first, if that doesn't improve the situation, then I'd suggest it's probably not the cause.

Now, if you're not in the UK then I just wasted 5 minutes of my time :)

Im not in the UK but this is problably a similar (if not the same) issue.

They called me today and asked me "Is the problem fixed?" I replied "No" They replied "We will call you tommorow"

:laugh: :rofl: