Counter-Strike: Source Beta

Valve has released a rather beefy update for Counter-Strike: Source, something I'm sure none of us saw coming. tongue.gif

Available immediately, Valve has launched an extensive update to Counter-Strike: Source, now in beta.

The update includes a host of new features and functionality developed in collaboration with Hidden Path Studios. These include 144 new achievements, a new domination and revenge system, player stats, and more.

This beta will run for a limited time, and once complete, the update will be deployed to all Counter-Strike: Source owners for free via Steam.

Server admins may download the dedicated server files via the HLDSUpdateTool using "-game cssbeta" in the command line.

Source:

http://store.steampo....com/news/3805/

In-Depth Feature List:

Here are some unmentioned features that a friend and I have noticed after a quick play through.

• This updates brings the Orange Box engine to CS:S. Multicore Rendering, motion blur, very high textures, and other OB-specific features have been included.
  • The knife and secondary/pistol running speed are the same now. Running with either of those weapons out is faster than the old knife running speed.

• Weapon running speed has been altered, corresponding with the weight/class of the weapon you are carrying. (ex. SMGs allow for a faster running speed compared to rifles)
  • The AI is different, probably modeled after their more realistic AI build being developed for TF2. (ex. Bots only know you're there if you are in their line of sight, not just in their presence)

I have taken screenshots to show off some of the new features.

Domination

Headshot.jpg

Nemesis

Nemesis.jpg

Deathcam/Killcam

Killcam.jpg

MVP

MVP.jpg

Voice Chat

Voice_Chat.jpg

Scoreboard

Scoreboard.jpg

Please excuse the quality of the screenshots, for some reason the Beta is taking some pretty poor shots regardless of what I set jpeg_quality to in the console.

Might have a look later, but this sounds a bit like bits of Team Fortress 2 backported to CS Source. :ermm:

WOW thats pretty cool. I know a TON of people that still play CS:S. Good to see they have something new to look forward to.

Might have a look later, but this sounds a bit like bits of Team Fortress 2 backported to CS Source. :ermm:

That was my thought as well, except I don't think that's a bad thing. Assuming everything works well, this is basically just an update to bring CS:S up to speed with Valve's other games.

Also, in-case anyone was wondering, the game now runs on the Orange Box engine. So motion blur, multi-core rendering, and very high textures among other features are available now.

Its great how Valve support some games many years after release.

I remember getting CSS back in 2004 with Half Life 2, I didn't expect the game to still be getting free updates years later (Y)

Might have to check this out, I used to play quite a bit, however I haven't touched this for years now.

Wow, good job on the ninjaness. I was just about to post this.

A buddy linked me to the offical valve page. Was posted a ffew minutes ago I believe. Where they are its noon so blah blah blha.

One reason i LOVE VALVE, always free ****. Look at TF2, its a game and a half with all the content and ALL FREE.

VALVE, +2 and 2 thumbs up(Y)(Y)!

No dice for me. I clicked the install button but it didn't add a new game to my list. Nothing's downloaded and the play link now takes me to the regular old CS:S. From the forum thread I'm not the only one with this problem.

Found another post that fixes it.

This is good news, i just wish other games companys would look at this model. Half life 1 was one of the biggest sellers on the PC simply because of the free mods (TFC and CS) people just kept buying copies, i wouldnt be surprised if i had a look in my local game store and find a copy of the org half life pack. These updates ensure that people keep playing the games and that keeping that community alive, keeps the sales going. The great thing everyone wins, Valve continues to get sales on games which are now pretty old, users get new free content to keep their games fresh. I love TF2 and the additions are great, the fact they are also free is fantastic.

Moving on the mac platform and offering the games for free for people who have already paid for the game is going to put Valve into the stratosphere in the regard the gamming community views them.

I must say personally on my home PC, aswell as Microsoft Office, Adobe Reader, Winzip. TF2, CS:s and DOD:s are all on my standard install list.

No dice for me. I clicked the install button but it didn't add a new game to my list. Nothing's downloaded and the play link now takes me to the regular old CS:S. From the forum thread I'm not the only one with this problem.

Found another post that fixes it.

Yes, the same thing happened to me and that link fixed it. I was just about to post that as well for anyone having a problem.

In-Depth Feature List:

Here are some unmentioned features that a friend and I have noticed after a quick play through.

• This updates brings the Orange Box engine to CS:S. Multicore Rendering, motion blur, very high textures, and other OB-specific features have been included.
  • The knife and secondary/pistol running speed are the same now. Running with either of those weapons out is faster than the old knife running speed.

• Weapon running speed has been altered, corresponding with the weight/class of the weapon you are carrying. (ex. SMGs allow for a faster running speed compared to rifles)
  • The AI is different, probably modeled after their more realistic AI build being developed for TF2. (ex. Bots only know you're there if you are in their line of sight, not just in their presence)

I have taken screenshots to show off some of the new features.

Headshot

Headshot.jpg

Nemesis

Nemesis.jpg

Deathcam/Killcam

Killcam.jpg

MVP

MVP.jpg

Voice Chat

Voice_Chat.jpg

Scoreboard

Scoreboard.jpg

Please excuse the quality of the screenshots, for some reason the Beta is taking some pretty poor shots regardless of what I set jpeg_quality to in the console.

Apparently they've already filled up all the spots for the beta they had available.

Oh, wow, I didn't know they had a limit. :(

FFFFUUUUUUUU Valve!!! I WANT IN!!!! Bah, totally missed this, and I still play CSS every day.... ok, Here are some questions I have, or stuff I'd like to see while I can't join.

It says updated the engine.... game still looks the same from what I see, so anyway for someone to post screenshot comparisons? Other than that, everything looks great. Oh ya, does this make the game run worse now though? TF2 and L4D both max out my old single core CPU and I'm stuck normally in the 25-35fps range, no matter what settings I use. CSS on the other hand, always gave me 100+ fps. Is this causing CSS to use more resources or anything? I sure hope I don't go back to horrible fps on CSS.

Sounds great! I can only hope now that they fix the glitch where someone looks like they are chucking a grenade when they come running around the corner when they really are not.

i haven't played this game in a long time, this is more then enough reason for me to give it another shot

edit: filled :(

here are some screenies though

ss_8b1c1260fc25bce96ee47e479ff3140e018365c5.1920x1080.jpg

ss_b261ae68ed17a9d04c35f8cd96189f6fdacf85b3.1920x1080.jpg

ss_5dfea3ca7406cbd859b4b9b260e2433e9add66ad.1920x1080.jpg

ss_8d3114bfbf805fb775d8b52f6c3f9262daa25087.1920x1080.jpg

ss_dfc5a0e07e030ef4ab74528f19ed8b62d95535a6.1920x1080.jpg

actually looks like a nice update (Y)

It was limited? Well... fortunately I got in on time :|

I seriously lol'ed when I heard the TF2 freezecam 'whoosh'. :laugh: I also think they copied over some of the bot AI from TF2, as currently you need to use the console to add bots to a game (bot_add).

Aww come on limited slots are filled. Thats so gay. :cry:

Im seriously kinda ****ed, comes out of nowhere and most people dont get a chance to get into the beta at all.