Counter-Strike: Source Beta

Runs way better for me. Plus it loads INSANELY faster now as well. I was shocked how fast it loaded up the first couple of times.

The very high textures and motion blur etc are nice touches and look good considering how old the game is of course.

That is good. Maybe now it can run smoother on Mini 311, i.e. rape my CPU properly.

On the old CS:S I was only getting 50-60FPS (capped @ refresh rate) on Surf / Gun Game type maps with < 5 people.

:laugh:

I'll have to try this out. To be honest, I'm a bit surprised. I didn't think Valve would give CS:S the Orange Box treatment like DoD:S.

Oh no... I've been clean from my CS:S addiction for about four years now, but then this has to come along.

I'm going to try to get in (assuming that such a thing is possible), and maybe I can give some impressions without having a relapse :).

That is good. Maybe now it can run smoother on Mini 311, i.e. rape my CPU properly.

On the old CS:S I was only getting 50-60FPS (capped @ refresh rate) on Surf / Gun Game type maps with < 5 people.

:laugh:

Well I don't want to ruin anything for you, but surfing is (currently) not possible anymore with the changes they've made. Dunno if they will change that back, change it around so it's possible again, or what.

I'll have to try this out. To be honest, I'm a bit surprised. I didn't think Valve would give CS:S the Orange Box treatment like DoD:S.

Well Valve did say 3 or 4 years ago they would (eventually) update the game to the OB engine and add other stuff. Of course with Valve time, yeahhhhhh.

Well I don't want to ruin anything for you, but surfing is (currently) not possible anymore with the changes they've made. Dunno if they will change that back, change it around so it's possible again, or what.

TF2 surf works properly, not much would be required if anything at all to convert it. Sourcemod supports the Orange Box fully, maybe finally they'll decide to dump the EP1 engine entirely with their main game now going OB.

It's great Valve keeps supporting all their games, however, I hate what they did with DoD:S and TF2. Let's hope it's not exactly similar. You guys might like it but I can't stand it.

The best thing Valve could do with this update, is to ignore the game community. Unlike some of their other communities the CS:S one doesn't want the game to be better, they seem to want it filled with more exploits (need bunny hopping)

TF2 surf works properly, not much would be required if anything at all to convert it. Sourcemod supports the Orange Box fully, maybe finally they'll decide to dump the EP1 engine entirely with their main game now going OB.

Yeah, they updated Havok in the new engine, you can still surf because it's buggy, but you need different angles now.

They may have done this to help with the port to Mac.

Yep, the "Source Engine 2009" (and newer) is getting ported to OS X, not the old engine versions. I'd expect to see updates for HL2, EP1 and EP2 soon enough (along with HL2:DM).

Edit: Oh yeah, apparently there are references to a new riot shield in the update.

Oh no... I've been clean from my CS:S addiction for about four years now, but then this has to come along.

I'm going to try to get in (assuming that such a thing is possible), and maybe I can give some impressions without having a relapse :).

I'm in a similar situation, but TF2 stole what love I had for CS:S and still holds it to this day. It was nice jumping back in, but I didn't notice any differences in the beta from the many, many, many ours I spent on it long before TF2 entered my life.

tbh the graphics look pretty much the same now.

Glad I'm not the only one thinking that.. I was like :unsure: :blink: ... "There's a difference here?"

I don't get why they have bothered to be honest. They've left this game for a long time without tangible updates. Some new weapons would have been nice say oh 4 years ago. How about some new Maps? A graphics overhaul?

Heck how about a Counter Strike 3? -- Just seems rather pointless to spend any development time on a game that they have obviously abandoned a long time ago.

Yeah I'll echo that sentiment. If they were adding some more weapons or maybe even vehicles then I'd be more interested. But achievements? Meh. :sleep:

What next, hats? :rolleyes:

and Valve sure have a hard on for the player domination system. First in TF2 and then later DoD:S (their much neglected 'red head step child' game!).

Why didn't they just release a new Counter-Strike game? Surely if they did it right, it could go up against MW2 and BFBC2 as the ultimate multi player shooter experience.

They updated their most popular online game, why is that such a big deal? They promised 3 or 4 years ago to update it to the Orange Box engine and now they have, and people complain they've finally done it. They've also changed some other stuff like weapon recoil, running speed while holding certain weapons and yet people complain they didn't change anything important and just wanted to add achievements and the freeze cam.

Righttttt.

I'm entitled to my opinion. Valve is a company with a finite amount of resources. This is just a waste of their time. If it ain't broken don't fix it.

It's definitely late. But you know what they say, better late than never.

Glad they did this but I'm not sure why it wasn't done years ago.

CS players hate change, Valve fix an exploit and people complain because it's used in matches and such.

This is a required update, for it to be available on Macs it has to be using the latest engine release ("Source Engine 2009" in the new vocabulary)

I havent played counter strike (or used my steam account) since 2008. Looks like I'll have to buy a mouse and start playing this again.

I hope this update doesn't kill the Zombie Mod Escape servers :cry:

It shouldn't do, it's only physics that change, if it breaks anything it'll be the maps, which will need updating slightly. Same goes with Surf apparently.