Counter-Strike: Source Beta

That's actually the Domination icon; AFAIK headshots are still the old 'bullet in the side of the head' icon

I had mistakenly took that as the headshot icon the first time, but it appears you are right. I'll modify the first post if I still can.

Hmmm. Have never got into source. Still an avid 1.6 player. (and 1.3 when me and friends can get organised!) maybe I'll give this a shot.

Used to play Counter Strike 1.2 (or was it 1.3) every single day for years, up to 1.6. Then only a bit with source. I kicked major butt, and knew every map like the back of my hand.

Since source I have not touched it. I kinda stopped playing multiplayer games in all. Not sure why. This new update might get me back into it.

Though I still think they are creating a new Counter Strike, probably to be released with Half Life 2 Episode 3, or Half Life 3, which ever you want it to be called lol

I was hoping to give this a try. I didn't know it was a "limited beta". Oh well, hopefully they'll release it soon.

The link didn't work for me but got it in the beta settings of steam.

The steam settings are now only used for actual steam client updates. You need to use the link for it to work.

Can't seem to see a visual quality difference despite of the new "high texture" claim.. can people confirm it actually looks better/sharper?

Doesn't look any different to me

I was thinking the same thing!

The steam settings are now only used for actual steam client updates. You need to use the link for it to work.

Well the Link didn't work before i changed it (kept asking me to login when i was already) as soon as i selected beta and steam restarted an ad for CSS beta appeared, then the link worked!

Well, it sucks.

The only difference is the effects motion blur brings and when the bomb blows up. Bomb looks sweet, but what the bad is, id rather stick to the old...

The bad... This new engine is doing what tf2 does to my system, bring it into the 20's for fps, even though im running a 8800gt... no matter what setting. This is because it is unoptimized really for single core, and I have yet to upgrade lol. Still sucks though if they push this threw. I wont be able to play it :(

• 1 month later...

Well, if they didn't do anything else special than what was already in beta form, I can no longer play this game.... good going valve. made a completely playable game that ran 120fps+ now run 60fps normal and 20 in fights...... uninstalling a game that has been on my system longer than I think windows has lol. It is a sad day for this panda.

Hell, Call of Duty 4 gives me better FPS at max settings than this game now... and looks better. Valve needs to do some better optimization on this "engine" for single core procs.

Same, and steam crashed lmao

Yeah it did as well on my end, a couple times. After restarting and trying several download locations through the Settings menu I gave up and just let it hang. It's downloading now at around 18 kilobytes per second, which is excruciating because I'm quite curious to see the new and updated CS:S.

Idiots lets release it at peak time, all the old servers i play on you cant join and the new servers what little of them there are are laggy, get disconnects and timeouts, what a joke i really wanted to play some multigame tonight.

Idiots lets release it at peak time, all the old servers i play on you cant join and the new servers what little of them there are are laggy, get disconnects and timeouts, what a joke i really wanted to play some multigame tonight.

I feel ya. I wanted to play some gungame, but I guess that'll have to wait until I can actually download the game and the gungame mod gets updated, if it needs updating.