Counter-Strike: Source Beta

Well, it sucks.

The only difference is the effects motion blur brings and when the bomb blows up. Bomb looks sweet, but what the bad is, id rather stick to the old...

The bad... This new engine is doing what tf2 does to my system, bring it into the 20's for fps, even though im running a 8800gt... no matter what setting. This is because it is unoptimized really for single core, and I have yet to upgrade lol. Still sucks though if they push this threw. I wont be able to play it :(

I actually got a nice performance boost, much more stable frames. Before I would get like ~150-170 fps in servers that arent very full but as soon as more people joined it would drop down to the 70's or sometimes lower, now it says around 150 all the time.

I was very dissapointed with it. The new player tab just takes too much space, they added loads of new crappy noises etc... The only thing i was satisfied really was the motion blur effect, the rest just really sucks. In my point of view Valve just tried badly to give CSS a feeling of something like MW2 and they failed miserably. This might of just ended my years of gaming with Counter Strike :(

I was very dissapointed with it. The new player tab just takes too much space, they added loads of new crappy noises etc... The only thing i was satisfied really was the motion blur effect, the rest just really sucks. In my point of view Valve just tried badly to give CSS a feeling of something like MW2 and they failed miserably. This might of just ended my years of gaming with Counter Strike :(

I dont get posts like this, hwo does this end "years of cs" the core game play is identical, all the weapons are the same as it was. It just has achievements and stuff. There are some bugs right now but those will be fixed. Stop being so over dramatic.

If they had updated it without the achievements and new scoreboard and such I wouldn't even have noticed. Achievements and killcams dont effect the actual gameplay at all.

This new update make my experience with CSS terrible. It disconnect frequently from the servers and sometimes even freeze. This is the worst update I ever see.

I find it funny how so many people are complaining about positive change. The game itself is identical to how it was before the update, they just added the killcam (Like TF2), achievements (Cool) and fixed a couple of things.

I'm actually happy to play it again now.

I actually got a nice performance boost, much more stable frames. Before I would get like ~150-170 fps in servers that arent very full but as soon as more people joined it would drop down to the 70's or sometimes lower, now it says around 150 all the time.

Same here, I've experienced far better framerates since this update.

I don't see any resemblance to MW2 at all. If anything, it's more like TF2 than anything else, which is another Valve game.

You can even turn off the killcam feature from TF2 with a single console command. See below for the command if you're interested.

I find it funny how so many people are complaining about positive change. The game itself is identical to how it was before the update, they just added the killcam (Like TF2), achievements (Cool) and fixed a couple of things.

I've played a few times since the update, and most of the people in these servers do nothing buy complain. I feel that they didn't make anything but positive changes, as nothing relating to the gameplay itself was modified. If you have a dual core processor you'll notice far better framerates, and most of the other additions, including the freeze cam and motion blur can be turned off with simple console commands.

Motion Blur:

mat_motion_blur_enabled 1 or 0

Freezecam (Killcam):

sv_disablefreezecam 1 (to disable) 0 (to enable)

I actually stopped playing CS:S for a long time because I was unhappy with the performance, so that was the most exciting change in this update for me personally.

what...

Do you even know what MW2 is?

So I ran the stress test with the following settings: 4xAA/16xAF, everything high, 1680x1050, multi-core rendering enabled, v-sync disabled. Before the update, I was able to get 220fps with my HD 4870/E6750 @ 3.2 GHz. Now I get 135 fps. I normally play with v-sync enabled to get 60fps no matter what's going on but if I'm getting such a big performance hit, I can only imagine how bad it may be for people with lesser hardware.

QFT. People are being massive babies about this. Its pathetic.

QFT. People are being massive babies about this. Its pathetic.

I don't know about you but the update has been a pain in the ass for me. I can't play anymore because the performance is the worse I ever see. I have a high ping issue that not matter what I do, its still the same and unplayable :no:

So I ran the stress test with the following settings: 4xAA/16xAF, everything high, 1680x1050, multi-core rendering enabled, v-sync disabled. Before the update, I was able to get 220fps with my HD 4870/E6750 @ 3.2 GHz. Now I get 135 fps. I normally play with v-sync enabled to get 60fps no matter what's going on but if I'm getting such a big performance hit, I can only imagine how bad it may be for people with lesser hardware.

Try with multi-core rendering disabled.

Just had to give it a go, maxed out at 1920x1080 I'm getting around 250FPS in the Stress Test - So certainly not sluggish here :p

What are your specs? I'm guessing you have at least an i7 (or AMD's equivalent) in that beast of a system you've got there. laugh.gif

I love the new features added, plus getting achievements made me feel great heh. CS:S runs just fine on my computer however my brother's Mac version is a bit of a annoyance to play on, but we just assumed that had to do with the crossing over process and the graphics card he has in his machine.

What are your specs? I'm guessing you have at least an i7 (or AMD's equivalent) in that beast of a system you've got there. laugh.gif

Click the little monitor in mah' signature >.>

It's killer for me. This update has killed a game I grew up on since it was beta in half life 1 era. I dont care about the achievements, those are cool. I just hate the engine they have ported it to. It is not optimized well at all, at least for my hardware. I can play much more detailed and cpu intensive games and have either the same or better performance. I have currently uninstalled CSS, and it kills me, because I keep wanting to play it lol.

Try with multi-core rendering disabled.

I ran the tests again:

208.31 fps (multi-core rendering disabled)

155.91 fps (multi-core rendering enabled)

A ~25% drop in performance with multi-core rendering enabled. Isn't that feature supposed to improve performance?

I ran the tests again:

208.31 fps (multi-core rendering disabled)

155.91 fps (multi-core rendering enabled)

A ~25% drop in performance with multi-core rendering enabled. Isn't that feature supposed to improve performance?

Well, would you look at that. I'm seeing the same trend in my benchmarks.

I noticed an improvement going from the original CS:S without multi-core rendering to the new CS:S with multi-core rendering enabled so I assumed that was the reason I was seeing an improvment. Disabling it is improving my FPS by around 30 FPS though, shockingly.

I am going to play a round or two and see if this performance improvement is carrying over to the actual game and not just the benchmark. I'm assuming multi-core rendering may yield a slightly lower FPS overall, but maintain it making performance more consistent.

Edit:

Damn, I didn't mean to double-post.

Update:

Performance is much better overall with multi-core rendering enabled in-game. I'm seeing more consistent performance and an FPS increase of about 50FPS at all times.

Valve has released a rather beefy update for Counter-Strike: Source, something I'm sure none of us saw coming.

It's been on the cards for a while, about fricking time as well.

Valve has released a rather beefy update for Counter-Strike: Source, something I'm sure none of us saw coming.

Did you read any of this thread? You just told us what everyone's been discussing for 9 pages =\

I'm fairly sure we all saw it coming :p

Had enough of this crapfest.

Connect to server, play game for 30 seconds, connection time out, retry, steamid already in use, wait, reconnect after a few mins, play game for 30 seconds, connection time out, get bored and quit game, wait for steam sync, close steam, load steam hours later, all servers missing, rescan, re-add favourites, join game, play for 30 seconds, connection time out, retry, steamid already in use.

Im done.