28 people on bus electocuted in India

NEW DELHI (AP) ? A bus carrying wedding guests caught fire after touching a high-voltage wire in central India on Friday, killing 28 people, police said.

The electricity supply wire was overhanging the road in Mandla district in Madhya Pradesh state, police officer Ram Pyari Dhurwey said.

The area is nearly 295 miles (475 kilometers) west of Bhopal, the capital of the state.

It was the second such accident in India in as many days. At least 15 people were killed in eastern Bihar state on Thursday when the truck they were riding in touched a high-voltage wire.

source

Its sad really, people commit suicide this way too, as the power lines hang quite low and are unshielded.

But I thought inside if a vehicle was the safest place to be during a lightening storm

Richard Hammond (the one from top gear !) Parked his car under a 100,000v transformer with a wire to simulate lightening strikes and he was fine, as was the car

While this is sad, I can honestly say I am not surprised.

But I thought inside if a vehicle was the safest place to be during a lightening storm

Richard Hammond (the one from top gear !) Parked his car under a 100,000v transformer with a wire to simulate lightening strikes and he was fine, as was the car

Can tell you have never been to India, safety is not the biggest concern out there.

Can tell you have never been to India, safety is not the biggest concern out there.

So? I'm not concerned about many things, doesn't mean they don't still exist. But yeah, should be fine on rubber tyres?

While this is sad, I can honestly say I am not surprised.

Nope, but I have seen videos of the driving, so if the vehicles are anything like the driving I understand

tyres = the rubber things around a wheel. Some countries spell the word "tires" but that to me means "becomes tired". If you were trying to be clever, you just failed.

Yes, but the trains / cars / bus's in India are probably of alot lower quality and standards.

Modern cars channel the electricity down the outside of the car and into the ground, while older cars didnt do this. So in older cars/buses the electricity hits the inside cabin. I dont know the science behind it, i just remember that it isnt just the tyres which shields you.

Richard hammond explains it at 1:50

Why in the world are the lines so low and why dont they have an insulator? almost every line in the USA except the very high ones for transmission are insulated

Why in the world are the lines so low and why dont they have an insulator? almost every line in the USA except the very high ones for transmission are insulated

because it's cheaper not to

I think the buses in India are more open, and metal-to-metal.

Not as insulated as buses in other countries.

Plus, some people ride on the roof !

bus_india.jpg

2258921-Local_bus-India.jpg

bus_india.JPG

developing countries don't have quite the same safety protocols unfortunately...