'Beer belly' linked to Alzheimer's

People who carry a lot of weight around their middle are at increased risk of developing dementia, say researchers.

A US study of more than 700 adults showed that being overweight is associated with smaller brain volume, a factor linked with dementia.

The finding was particularly strong in those with high levels of visceral fat - fatty tissue which sits around the organs, Annals of Neurology reported.

More than 750,000 people in the UK have a form of dementia.

The results showed that as BMI increased, brain volume decreased - a finding that has been reported in other studies.

But the findings also showed a closer connection between abdominal fat and the risk of dementia.

The link between visceral fat around the central organs and smaller brain volume was independent of overall weight.

more

Or maybe fat people who eat junk and don't work out already had a small brain in the first place? :rofl:

I agree, I am 50 pounds overweight and I am trying to lose it running 5 miles 5 days a week, eating one time a day and drinking a lot of water.

This could have a lot to do with diet as well... I mean, some studies have shown that those with dementia have aluminum in their brain. I'm not sure exactly where this aluminum would come from, but what if you eat a lot of canned foods? If they say not to store food in your fridge wrapped in aluminum foil because the aluminum gets into the food, why would it not get into the food from an aluminum can? If you eat unhealthy and your body isn't healthy, it isn't going to be able to function at 100% either... We've seen what that does to other organs, why wouldn't it affect the brain as well?

Hello everybody,

Looks like Alois Alzheimer had a little bit overweight himself :D

But I think you're all right. I've read a lot of studies lately. It runs in my family.

Last one was that two hours per day, 7 to 9 months GSM cell phone radiation makes Alzheimer's mice feeling better..

GSM Cell Phones and Alzheimer's

view_10.jpg

Alois Alzheimer

Hello everybody,

Looks like Alois Alzheimer had a little bit overweight himself :D

But I think you're all right. I've read a lot of studies lately. It runs in my family.

Last one was that two hours per day, 7 to 9 months GSM cell phone radiation makes Alzheimer's mice feeling better..

GSM Cell Phones and Alzheimer's

view_10.jpg

Alois Alzheimer

How interesting... I'd not heard of that study, but that would be really great if it was something they could do to limit the risks of the disease... It truly is a horrible disease...