Aion, anyone?

TO clarify, I played Aion during the open beta and during the first month after release. So the problems I had with grinding were probably due to lack of higher level content. This lack of content is another topic for discussion as I don't think MMOs should be released with gaps in content to begin with...but, it is nice that the devs acknowledged the problem and fixed it in a patch.

However, even with an apparent fix to level grind, the other cons I listed still exist (for me) and still far out-weigh the pros (for me).

Aion: good graphics, great crafting, fun combat, boring quests, unrelenting grind 40+, unbalanced PvP, gankfest.

Fixed for 1.9

So you don't have a character above level 45 and you're saying the grind is eliminated? I'm not trying to get on your case but as you said... you can hardly speak from experience.

Don't get me wrong, I like Aion, but I haven't played in months so I'm curious about how the 1.9 patch changed things.

I think 1.9 added a ton of new quests and eliminated the grind.

TO clarify, I played Aion during the open beta and during the first month after release. So the problems I had with grinding were probably due to lack of higher level content. This lack of content is another topic for discussion as I don't think MMOs should be released with gaps in content to begin with...but, it is nice that the devs acknowledged the problem and fixed it in a patch.

However, even with an apparent fix to level grind, the other cons I listed still exist (for me) and still far out-weigh the pros (for me).

Never played an MMO without content gaps at launch, even the all mighty World of Warcraft had a lot of grind at release.

I just bought Aion in the Steam sale. Played it for about a week and went about looking for other things to do. Warhammer Online is much more interesting.

I guess I should've just stuck with LOTRO, but I'm waiting for it to go free to play so the playerbase jumps.

I'm currently playing this as my main MMO instead of WoW. My only concern is that it's going to take a lot more of my time than WoW to get anything done. However I am loving it so far, I'm a level 24 Elyos cleric on Spatalos EU and I honestly think that so far my levelling experience has been so much better than WoWs levelling experience.

Overall so far I give Aion a (Y)

wait until you hit 35-40. leveling slows down substantially around 30 especially if you bother with grinding FT for gear.

So you don't have a character above level 45 and you're saying the grind is eliminated? I'm not trying to get on your case but as you said... you can hardly speak from experience.

Don't get me wrong, I like Aion, but I haven't played in months so I'm curious about how the 1.9 patch changed things.

1.9 added a few repeatables, increased the number of times you could do some repeatables, added some skills such as the anti stun thing and weapon merging. overall it's the same leveling eperience and instead of grinding for one good weapon you have to grind for two so you can merge them.

Eh, I loved Aion when I was in the Betas. Since closed beta 1. I pre-ordered the Collectors Edition and everything. This was how I got my wife in to MMO's. She loved Aion as well, it was "pretty" Then came closed beta 4, we played ... it ended. I was hooked, this was my first MMO. I had to get something for my fix. I bought WoW and haven't looked back. My wife continued to play until official launch of Aion, but then she started getting frustrated with it once she hit level 32, she said it took ages to level now, she felt like all she was doing was killing and killing and killing some more ... total grindfest is what I thought. We now both play WoW.

To me, WoW is just more fun. From a graphics view, Aion wins hands down, but from a funness level, WoW will be champ in my book for a while.

this is the general sentiment from alot of my online friends that played aion at launch. some of us quit before others did.

naw nothing is really fixed. it's still boring and grindy. quests are still annoyingly dull with poor rewards for time spent. drop rates are still murderously low.

I wouldn't mind a trial period myself. I've been on an MMO trek for the last year or so trying every one I can get my hands on. Aion has some pretty unique qualities I'd love to experience. That is, until LOTRO is free.