iPhone - With or without the Call Display option?

Hey,

I was wondering something lately. When I bought my iPhone, the Fido kiosk wanted to add to my contract the Call Display with Name Display option for $7. Basically, it shows the name and number of the person who calls me.

I'm thinking, $7/month for this service is unbelievable. If I could NOT pay for this option and still have it, it'd be perfect. So I asked the rep "if my Address Book in my iPhone is filled with names from my friends and whatnot, will I see their name when I make a call?" and they told me "No, you really need the Call Display feature for that". But here I go wondering again. I'm not sure the reps were right, I think they only wanted to sell, those bast****. So I'm asking you guys.

Can I remove this option that costs me an additionnal $7/month and still see the names of the people who call me that I have in the address book? I know I wouldn't see the others, but will I see the ones recorded in my Address Book?

Thanks

Hey,

I was wondering something lately. When I bought my iPhone, the Fido kiosk wanted to add to my contract the Call Display with Name Display option for $7. Basically, it shows the name and number of the person who calls me.

I'm thinking, $7/month for this service is unbelievable. If I could NOT pay for this option and still have it, it'd be perfect. So I asked the rep "if my Address Book in my iPhone is filled with names from my friends and whatnot, will I see their name when I make a call?" and they told me "No, you really need the Call Display feature for that". But here I go wondering again. I'm not sure the reps were right, I think they only wanted to sell, those bast****. So I'm asking you guys.

Can I remove this option that costs me an additionnal $7/month and still see the names of the people who call me that I have in the address book? I know I wouldn't see the others, but will I see the ones recorded in my Address Book?

Thanks

bull**** tbh, you address book matches incoming numbers to names in yoru adressbook, no idea what the ywere trying to sell you :s

i dont have to have any addons for that

it will NOT WORK. You need caller ID to be able to have it register the names in your address book. Your phone will not receive any info about who the caller is unless you get caller ID. I know, because I tried the same thing

I'm sure you can call fido's retentions/loyalty/cancellations department, and likely get that feature added for free.

Fido I found is one of the easiest to get free stuff added, just mention that your thinking of cancelling due to a better offer from rogers/telus/bell/wind

heck you can likely get more than just caller id added

I agree the price is ridiculous, I definitely wouldnt "pay" for that feature

looking into the forums at howardforums.com for tips on negotiating, and what other fido users are getting.

it will NOT WORK. You need caller ID to be able to have it register the names in your address book. Your phone will not receive any info about who the caller is unless you get caller ID. I know, because I tried the same thing

christ you americans and canadians get shafted on all your phone/broadband provisions...

Not exactly in the same position but in my country there's no "Call Display" option. But if the person who calls is in my address book it will display the name in the iPhone.

christ you americans and canadians get shafted on all your phone/broadband provisions...

Ya, we do. The funny thing is caller id used to be free. Then it was a 2 dollar option, then a 5 dollar option, now a 7 dollar option. They know people want it, so they charge for it. It's the same with voicemail. I don't even bother with voicemail because it's another 7 bucks. If somebody calls, I have caller id so I can call them back at least.

Weird, here I get caller ID free. o_o

In Canada we have to pay for everything when it comes to wireless services :(

Ya, we do. The funny thing is caller id used to be free. Then it was a 2 dollar option, then a 5 dollar option, now a 7 dollar option. They know people want it, so they charge for it. It's the same with voicemail. I don't even bother with voicemail because it's another 7 bucks. If somebody calls, I have caller id so I can call them back at least.

With Rogers it's $8 or $12 of you want it with Voicemail

In Canada we have to pay for everything when it comes to wireless services :(

With Rogers it's $8 or $12 of you want it with Voicemail

Ahh, so they changed the pricing. Again.

Uk voicemail and uk caller ID is included free with both pay as you go and contract. Most even display the number of international callera

jesus I thought the threat starter wanted to kid me but hell you REALLY have to pay for that?!

I didn't even realize that was... possible!

You get it free in germany. And I always thought it was... well I never thought about that "feature" being a feature you need to opt-in in other countries!

crazy...

Call Display with Name Display is different because it not only displays the incoming numbers, but also the full name you would normally see if a landline was calling a landline. When I call someone who doesn't have me on their address book, it still displays my full name if they have name display.

I'm sure you can still get Call Display without Name Display (not 100% sure if this is still possible) for cheaper if you're only interested in showing up names for people in your address book.

But I'd say you should call customer retentions and basically try to get a better deal than that on some sort of contract.

you know. it's nice that you all overseas get things for free, but the OP is in Montreal, Canada so how things work in the Dominican and Germany and other places mentioned really don't mean much here.

call Fido and say you're going to cancel. you'll be put through to the customer retention department that will give you anything to stay with them (even though they really couldn't give a **** about you)

So let me get this straight: in Canada, you have to pay to know the number that's calling you? That's absurd.

So let me get this straight: in Canada, you have to pay to know the number that's calling you? That's absurd.

I know, it?s totally horrible. I always thought it was free, too, but when I bought the iPhone I realized it wasn?t. I?m almost reassured, knowing I haven?t paid for nothing during the last 11 months... but it sucks that I?ll have to pay for the nest 2 years.

Won?t they laugh at me if I play around with them, saying I?m going to cancel? It?s like a few hundred bucks that I have to give to them before cancelling.

Won?t they laugh at me if I play around with them, saying I?m going to cancel? It?s like a few hundred bucks that I have to give to them before cancelling.

I think for me, the cancellation fee is like $400 LOL (iPhone 3GS w/VM Canada) :pinch:

It's free here in Australia but completely pointless as you can choose to have your number blocked from Caller ID (i.e. a private number) and most people choose to keep their number private :p so for me 9/10 the number will show up as "Unknown number" even if they are listed in my addressbook.

jesus I thought the threat starter wanted to kid me but hell you REALLY have to pay for that?!

I didn't even realize that was... possible!

You get it free in germany. And I always thought it was... well I never thought about that "feature" being a feature you need to opt-in in other countries!

crazy...

Yeah thats crazy Ive never even thought about it really, we just get it free not even like its a feature. We do have to pay for the feature on landlines though, well you do for Virgin Media phone lines.