When 8 GIG of ram is not enough for a desktop.

83 running processes is not normal . I never had that many running even at the initial install. I no longer use Xp mode as it is a total waste of resources. Why use an OS that is out of date? This is only my opinion but any thing more than 60 services is probably to many. Check out Black Viper's site.

http://www.blackvipe.../servicecfg.htm

He is sort of an expert on this.

I've got 95 processes going at the moment, and I think i had over 100 going yesterday. Really tbh normal is dependent upon the configuration of your computer. Normal for me is 70 to 75. I'm also looking at about 62% of my 6GB of memory as being in use.

lol the only way I've managed to run out of memory was running two VMs in VirtualBox. Or in one instance a program I was working on..had a nasty bug that kept spawning new processes till it hit about 400 and something.

Well without playing any games, just using usual development tools like SQL Server, Photoshop, 2 Virtual Machines, Outlook and 5-6 IE tabs.

This is how my computer looks pretty much everyday when I am working. So nothing wrong with heaps of processes running but still 111 is a bit high.

post-190274-12797602671516.png

I usually have around 90 processes.

Chrome with any flash running adds a couple of processes.

My Logitech G15 keyboard and MX Revolution mouse add 7+ processes.

Firefox I have open with lots of tabs usually

Windows Media Player

JDownloader

XBlist (xbox lives friends list)

Sidebar

VistaSwitcher

Dropbox

Avast

Windows Live Mesh (adds 3-4)

Windows Live Sync (adds 2-3)

Media Player network sharing

Live ID Service

Media Center Receiver Service

Orb (adds a few)

Hamachi

VMware adds a few services that appear as processes

NVidia Driver Helper

Soundmax Driver Program

I only have a Core 2 Duo E6600 and it is running all this very well. I would like to get a quad core but I really have no need to right now.

Could be just a process having a bad memory leak. I can write a 3-line C program that will needlessly keep allocating memory and do nothing else, and sure enough, it'll fill all available ram.

Mine pretty much idles most of the day, currently setting it up for a vSphere host. :shifty:

437573202.png

wth is that processor?

On Topic: 100+ is not abnormal if you haven't formatted for a while and have some tools running (HTC's software for example has like 5 processes, same with AVG). 90+ is the norm for me, still, have never encountered this error (even when Photoshop/Lightroom starts killing the machine while using the brush tools)

[Q6600 + 8GB ram here]

OP ive noticed that ur uptime is past 2 days. I take it that u are using win7 . Then i have faced similar problems.

I have a laptop with 4gig ram. but the thing is its on 24x7 Ive noticed that in windows 7 over time apps (especially chrome) use memory like crazy. I think some more ppl need to try it out. keep ur pc on for atleast a 1-2 days let the uptime cross 1-2 days then watch how even the normal everyday tasks cost more memory.

erm, my uptime goes over 2 days everytime, i only reboot when needed because of an update or installation. I have 87 processes open (including heavy stuff like photoshop, eclipse and visual studio) and I'm using 2.7 gigs of ram. Win 7 is handling just fine

Yep 111 Processes is a whole heap going on, especially for a desktop. I have VMware, Firefox, some study software + av running and am only at 45 using a whopping 1.16GB. I can understand the x64 may run a little more than x86 but, 111 processes?! :blink:

I would suggest removing any unneeded software and looking into what is actually running on your machine.

Maybe he's running Chrome, I have 115 processes but 35 of those are from Chrome.

yeah thats not to many processes i've got 128 (58 of them belonging to chrome) i would prefer if chrome didn't create so many new processes they should of just stuck to additional threads (all it takes is the browser process to crash which would take the rest out making any benefit of seperating them pointless) although its quite nice to be able to kill flash at any point on any process instantly

erm, my uptime goes over 2 days everytime, i only reboot when needed because of an update or installation. I have 87 processes open (including heavy stuff like photoshop, eclipse and visual studio) and I'm using 2.7 gigs of ram. Win 7 is handling just fine

ummm when i has vista i used to go 10-20 days without a restart. but now with chrome causing problems on win7 for me.. ive hardly been able to go past 6 days.