How Bing is out-innovating Google

I have been a google fan since well as far as i can remember.

Anywyas when Bing was launched, i decided to give it a go just because it was the new toy to play with it and i kept finding myself return to google.

However I decided that for a month i would leave Bing as my homepage and every day the results get much better and better and now i have been using it for a good 4-5 months and havent needed google.

give it a real shot and see how you like it.

I have been a google fan since well as far as i can remember.

Anywyas when Bing was launched, i decided to give it a go just because it was the new toy to play with it and i kept finding myself return to google.

However I decided that for a month i would leave Bing as my homepage and every day the results get much better and better and now i have been using it for a good 4-5 months and havent needed google.

give it a real shot and see how you like it.

same here, I switched Chrome's default search to bing and I've not felt any need to go google for any reason. They are pretty much same in results - I use bing just because I like their extra features (depends on what I am searching for). bing's total hits are usually lower but that probably means Google has lot of spam sites.

MS copied Google's search engine and other technologies from Google, I did not say they shouldn't be doing it. Just saying it's a bad lower quality copy of what Google has to offer.

basically a search engine is made by a text box. Yuo are saying that bing copied google because it has a textbox too? Looking at service integration, as it was proved before, bing is years ahead google (wikipedia, games and movies reviews, trailers, stock status, flight, etc, everything directly from the search page).

The experimental version of bing maps (http://bing.com/maps/explore) blows up google's in speed, combining map, satellite and bird's eye view depending on the zoom.

Then considering that bing is only 1 year old, this features are really outstanding. then consider that google is around from 1998, and think about what engine is developing more.

Bing is slowly but surely killing off Google search. 5 years from now Google's marketshare is going to be like Linux's market share - less than 1%.

Bing is slowly but surely killing off Google search. 5 years from now Google's marketshare is going to be like Linux's market share - less than 1%.

i doubt it. search relevance isn't as good as on Google on Bing. considering search is Google's bread and butter i doubt they'll slack off on that front. however competition is good imo. so Bing catching up is good news. Bing maps for example isn't as good as google's outside of US. (well atleast in my country)

Silverlight maps aren't going to play well mobile devices.... so imo Bing will play catch up for a while.....

The experimental version of bing maps (http://bing.com/maps/explore) blows up google's in speed, combining map, satellite and bird's eye view depending on the zoom.

post-52106-12810150876222.jpg

Damn Lunix fanboys. :laugh:

Yep. Your contribution to this thread was by far the most elucidating and knowledgeable. Keep it up, Neowin wouldn't be the place it currently is if it weren't for people like you. (Y)

You're using an outdated (guessing by screenshots you're still using 10.10) version of a web browser the Silverlight plug-in doesn't work with, on an OS with < 1% market share and are indirectly complaining about the Bing Maps beta not working for you? Man...

At the same time you manage to ignore the points others make in response to your posts. Good job.

Yep. Your contribution to this thread was by far the most elucidating and knowledgeable. Keep it up, Neowin wouldn't be the place it currently is if it weren't for people like you. (Y)

Yeah, I guess it's only supported for 98% of the computers out there running Windows and Mac, not the under 1% that run Linux. Sorry. :wacko:

You're using an outdated (guessing by screenshots you're still using 10.10) version of a web browser the Silverlight plug-in doesn't work with, on an OS with < 1% market share and are indirectly complaining about the Bing Maps beta not working for you? Man...

At the same time you manage to ignore the points others make in response to your posts. Good job.

or he could install moonlight and click the try anyway button....

Snipped

Install moonlight, I think thats what it's called. Or you know click try it anyways?

If it still doesn't work, well I'm going to guess you are using Linux. So go back to the non-silverlight version of Bing, which is essentially the same as Google (will vary on location).

And as for varying on location, it sometimes matters a lot. Here in HK on my phone, Google maps seems to think I live in the middle of the ocean (GPS turned off) =/ Bing finds my apartment perfectly (GPS turned off also). Then if I turn GPS on and ask it to take me to a place, the Google option always is the much longer route. However in America, both Bing and Google give me the exact same route.

Install moonlight, I think thats what it's called. Or you know click try it anyways?

If it still doesn't work, well I'm going to guess you are using Linux. So go back to the non-silverlight version of Bing, which is essentially the same as Google (will vary on location).

No thanks, I won't contribute to Microsoft's lockdown strategy. I'll keep using Google maps or Google Earth. Google maps follows Web standards and supports my OS. BIng! Maps is limited, buggy and incomplete, just like the search engine.

Yes, the problem's with my OS, my Web browser... :rolleyes: Interestingly Google products work without any issue.

No just no, since Bing was launched Google's lead has increased, Bing may have gained market share but Google has gained market share faster.

No thanks, I won't contribute to Microsoft's lockdown strategy. I'll keep using Google maps or Google Earth. Google maps follows Web standards and supports my OS. BIng! Maps is limited, buggy and incomplete, just like the search engine.

Lockdown lol. Because working on every browser that runs on the 2 most used operating systems is considered "locked-down". And then an open source equivalent exists for Linux.

And how exactly is the regular bing maps limited, buggy and incomplete? Please do share.

As for supports web standards?

Interesting. Very interesting.

Thank you sir for showing how native MS trolls work around here.

Perhaps, but at least I was smart enough to read the article before deciding what it was about, which you clearly didn't do.

Right, because the rest of the world uses Linux and is running into this problem as well, and they're really angry about it. :rolleyes:

/s

Lockdown lol. Because working on every browser that runs on the 2 most used operating systems is considered "locked-down"

And how exactly is the regular bing maps limited, buggy and incomplete? Please do share.

As for supports web standards?

Google maps: 161 Errors, 3 warning(s)

Bing maps (non silverlight): 74 Errors, 12 warning(s)

Interesting. Very interesting.

Not that either matters very much in the grand scheme of things as long as things work (and, by the way, many of the Google Maps errors come from trying to maintain IE compatibility and some of them are just because, for some stupid reason, Google doesn't put quotation marks around their hrefs in links), but:

post-17580-12810173667978.png

How'd you get 74 errors and 12 warnings?

Not that either matters very much in the grand scheme of things as long as things work (and, by the way, many of the Google Maps errors come from trying to maintain IE compatibility and some of them are just because, for some stupid reason, Google doesn't put quotation marks around their hrefs in links), but:

post-17580-12810173667978.png

How'd you get 74 errors and 12 warnings?

Both get automatically detected as html5 for me. Using Opera here, not IE.

Both get automatically detected as html5 for me. Using Opera here, not IE.

Funny. :p Google Maps is HTML5 (<!DOCTYPE html>), but Bing Maps is definitely XHTML 1.0 Transitional. From the top of the source code:

&lt;!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"&gt;

Funny. :p Google Maps is HTML5 (<!DOCTYPE html>), but Bing Maps is definitely XHTML 1.0 Transitional. From the top of the source code:

&lt;!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"&gt;

Odd lol. Forcing it to XHTML 1.0 Transitional gives me the same result as the one you posted in your previous post. In terms of errors they seem to be pretty similar in that respect, but as for warnings Bing has more. What exactly gets classed as a warning and not an error lol?

Odd lol. Forcing it to XHTML 1.0 Transitional gives me the same result as the one you posted in your previous post. In terms of errors they seem to be pretty similar in that respect, but as for warnings Bing has more. What exactly gets classed as a warning and not an error lol?

Dumb stuff. In Bing Maps, a lot of the warnings come from CSS in <style> tags on the page and are completely fine.

Probably not, seeing as Bing is search engine and indexes domain names, and doesn't quite care what the domains really do. If all it takes is for Bing to have the same "This site may harm your computer" warning as Google, then his argument is pretty effin weak.