One thing that we know the GW2 store will have is transmutation stones - lets you transfer the stats of an item to a different skin.

Just a note, those stones will also be available in game for karma as well for those that didn't know yet.

• 1 month later...

Yea, seen that earlier. Kinda hard to care about yet another trailer though, or ANYTHING they're showing at gamescom/pax prime this year for that matter, as there's pretty much no chance at all the game will be out this year.

• 3 months later...

It's been a long time since there's been any news out of arenanet worth hearing. But now there is.

First off is the 8th profession. Which any gw1 fan already guessed, the Mesmer.

Here: http://www.guildwars...essions/mesmer/

Second is that it seems anet is FINALLY getting the closed beta on:

The date has finally been revealed for when the closed beta testing will begin! From the recent Reddit AMA (questions and answers listed here), testing will begin this friday!

However, regarding the ?application process?, here is a quote from our IRC dev chat:

<[ANet]Community> Ok, just to get this out of the way here: We have a studio internal selection process for our Closed Beta that starts on Friday. There will be no public application form.

Hopefully this means we?re one step closer to that ever-coming release day!

Found here @ gw2guru: http://www.guildwars...e-irc-dev-chat/

• 2 weeks later...

just watched the videos, and i'm sold.

i'm new to this one, so to say, i know guild wars but never played it. and now i'm getting pretty excited about getting my hands on it.

I hate caster classes but mesmer was one of those classes I really enjoyed from time to time, because you have so much control over the enemy, whether it be pvp or pve, it was fun to just completely dominate enemies (the reduction of cast times and lack of them in many cases helped a ton, cast times are why I generally hate casters)

• 3 weeks later...

So apparently there was a closed beta that started December 16 with very limited selection process that was not F&F only. Not entirely sure how I feel about that as a long time supporter of A-net and Guild Wars 1.

So apparently there was a closed beta that started December 16 with very limited selection process that was not F&F only. Not entirely sure how I feel about that as a long time supporter of A-net and Guild Wars 1.

I would say think nothing of it, there are a lot of people who are and they can't possibly let everyone in.

I would say think nothing of it, there are a lot of people who are and they can't possibly let everyone in.

Well considering back when Eye of North came out they promised people who bought it access to a beta for Guild Wars 2, I kind of feel entitled to access for it. :rofl:

Well considering back when Eye of North came out they promised people who bought it access to a beta for Guild Wars 2, I kind of feel entitled to access for it. :rofl:

I don't remember them saying that. All i remember is them saying was the gw2 beta was gonna happen like 3 years ago. Of course it's been so damn long since eotn that i could have forgotten they said that. who knows.

• Like 1

You should not try to find a reason to whine at the first little thing you can possibly find. There will be at least one open beta, if not more.

The closed beta was done to stop people like you from throwing a major fit when they play a beta (testing stage!) game and find that it's buggy.

It was a closed beta, meaning that it was protected by NDAs and only a relatively small amount of people were let in. They didn't promise that everyone who bought Eye of the North would get beta access, either.

You should not try to find a reason to whine at the first little thing you can possibly find. There will be at least one open beta, if not more.

The closed beta was done to stop people like you from throwing a major fit when they play a beta (testing stage!) game and find that it's buggy.

It was a closed beta, meaning that it was protected by NDAs and only a relatively small amount of people were let in. They didn't promise that everyone who bought Eye of the North would get beta access, either.

"People like you"? You know me well then?

I'm basing that on the fact that you're complaining about not being allowed into a closed beta.

Well you're wrong them. I'm complaining about the fact that a-net is all but hiding the fact that there was even a closed beta. If you didn't know where to look you wouldn't even know there was one. It's all very quietly done which I find kind of strange.

Wouldn't even really call it complaining, but whatever.

Yes, that would be because it is a closed beta. I.E. tested by members of the company and a small number of other handpicked people.

Closed beta. Meaning private. Most companies don't even let any information out at all regarding closed betas.

If it was an open beta (where the public are actually asked to help) then people would rightly be a little miffed that it wasn't announced.

Yes, that would be because it is a closed beta. I.E. tested by members of the company and a small number of other handpicked people.

Closed beta. Meaning private. Most companies don't even let any information out at all regarding closed betas.

If it was an open beta (where the public are actually asked to help) then people would rightly be a little miffed that it wasn't announced.

There are quite a lot of "closed" betas that are announced for other MMO's and do accept limited amounts of people into them (whether by random or being a long time customer) invites who aren't from the company or employee friends and family you know. :/

There are quite a lot of "closed" betas that are announced for other MMO's and do accept limited amounts of people into them (whether by random or being a long time customer) invites who aren't from the company or employee friends and family you know. :/

So because other companies do it, make it the standard all companies have to follow?

It's in closed beta, who cares? No info will be (or should be) coming from it, and if the closed beta is true (which I'm guessing it is, if you know where to look according to Trag3dy) that only means we are 1 step closer to an "open" beta. It's a silly thing to be arguing over.

Trag3dy, any idea how long this has been going on? Maybe get a better sense of timeline to an open beta.

Well, at the same time they told forums when the closed beta would be, they also told people that they would be taking no applications for it, so no, this is still a pathetic thing to be getting upset about.

Closed beta ran from the 16th to the 30th December and there's likely going to be one or two more before they announce an open beta date.

So because other companies do it, make it the standard all companies have to follow?

It's in closed beta, who cares? No info will be (or should be) coming from it, and if the closed beta is true (which I'm guessing it is, if you know where to look according to Trag3dy) that only means we are 1 step closer to an "open" beta. It's a silly thing to be arguing over.

Trag3dy, any idea how long this has been going on? Maybe get a better sense of timeline to an open beta.

From what I've gathered it's going to be a short beta test cycle, around the length of 2 weeks. It started (again from what I've read) on December 16th so it's probably already over for a while now. It's supposed to determine the actual release date of the game and if/when there will be more beta test cycles, if they be open or closed still hasn't been decided, too.

Well, at the same time they told forums when the closed beta would be, they also told people that they would be taking no applications for it, so no, this is still a pathetic thing to be getting upset about.

Closed beta ran from the 16th to the 30th December and there's likely going to be one or two more before they announce an open beta date.

No one is upset about anything, slightly disappointed that a-net is being so secretative about their beta test cycle yeah, but upset? We're all just anxious to get our hands on the game after 5 years. You're reading to much into things.

What the hell?

In what way are they being secretive? They have told interviewers repeatedly when their closed beta would start, how it would handled and what would happen at the end.

Okay.

Nice Slane :) Yeah seen pretty much all of the information in there but it's a well written piece that pulls all of the information together, a great find. :D I'll certainly be showing this to my friends who are interested in playing, they've never tried or really liked Guild Wars but it already looks like a massive improvement on it.

Actually, one of the funniest things is that one of my friends did not want to play after 5-10 minutes because he couldn't jump in-game. :rofl: And now that GW2 has the feature (and swimming incidentally) he's suddenly very interested and wanting to try it. Too much bunnyhopping in WoW me thinks :rolleyes: - which is usually what happens when you give people the ability to jump around. :laugh:

Really excited for this game, I really do think that GW2 can change the way we look at MMO's and provide a new model for other games to follow. People talk about games that are "revolutionising" their genres of gaming and I never agree but I can see it with this game. Here's hoping!

- Shido :shiftyninja:

Thanks for posting that link, Slane. I'm really looking forward to Guild Wars 2. It's a little odd for me because I hate MMO games with a passion. I hate the repetitive tasks in those games because they're designed to waste your time. Everything I've read about Guild Wars 2 has made me even more excited so I hope they deliver a good game.