I'm not sure they have full optimization going just yet. Also, I'm willing to bet we'll see continued improvements once AMD/nVidia release drivers optimized for it too.

What kind of system are you running though?

Personally, I just upgraded my processor to an AMD Phenom II X4 and the game runs like very well on mostly high settings @ 1680x1050. Did it mostly for GW2 but also because my computer needed it. Haven't bought hardware for a game since I bought a PS2 just to play GTA3. :laugh:

Intel Q6600 (the defining quad-core of that generation, despite the dual-dual design) on the CPU side, and the AMD HD5450 (fanless 512MB DDR3 configuration) - both stock, naturally.

The CPU is fine - however, I'm quite aware that the GPU is showing its lack of oomph. (The mere 512MB of DDR3 does NOT help.)

I have three GPUs under consideration for an upgrade - all within the same price range - HIS HD7770 iCooler 1GB GDDR5 (MicroCenter) and XFX HD6770 1GB GDDR5 and XFX HD7770 UOC Edition (both at Best Buy).

All three have the same power requirements, and the first two are the same price (the factory-overclocked XFX is $40 more thna the other two). All three cards are dual-slot (while the XFX HD6770 is physically a single-slot design, the cooler pokes out a half-slot beyond the frame). Best Buy is closer (MicroCenter does not stock either XFX GPU currently), and the fuel costs make the comaprison between the two HD7770s a wash in terms of price.

After reading some of the negative feedback i no longer feel bad that i didn't get into the beta lol thanks :)

After reading some of the negative feedback i no longer feel bad that i didn't get into the beta lol thanks :)

So you let other people decide things for you regularly? There are only 2 people who have posted they disliked the game in this thread and they did not even provide any reasons why they didn't like it. Everyone else seems to enjoy it quite a bit. The overwhelming majority think GW2 is awesome.

As I said earlier, you're free to not like whatever you want, but at least post some reasons why you're weary if the game instead of just saying you hate it without backing up your opinion. There is no way we can possibly have a constructive conversation with posts like that.

• Like 2

I think the short guys are stupid so I doubt I will be playing as them. Enjoyed elementalist and Warrior as well as the Norn and slyvari races. Gonna try Charr last with some random class. Will most likely be getting the game.

Actually, it should be the opposite. If you feel unsure about the game, it would be nice to test it yourself for free. Like Deranged did and found the game wasn't for him. In my opinion, wait for a post-release opportunity to try the game for free (it usually shows up, but can't be sure of course).

I like the game myself, already got into a nice Swedish guild for beta and release.

Saw a post on the offical forums that had a link to Star Trek Online, where they compare DX9 vs DX11 performance.

http://www.hardocp.c...rmance_review/4

Here is a quote

We found some interesting performance results in our testing. Though the DX11 support is not finalized for this game, and it is just in Beta form, we found that the GeForce GTX 580 performs significantly faster under DX11 compared to DX9. Simply by switching from the DX9 API to the new DX11 API has yielded a free performance upgrade, by up to 20% on the GTX 580.

Note, while this is comparing performance in a different game, it is to show that there could be a nice performance boost possible in Guild Wars 2 by just using DX11. But engines are not the same of course, so nothing is set in stone.

My experience with dx11 comes from games like Crysis 2 and Metro: 2033. In those games the performance hit was not worth the added eye candy. On the other hand, Dirt 2 didn't seem to have any performance hits for me when using dx11. :wacko:

My experience with dx11 comes from games like Crysis 2 and Metro: 2033. In those games the performance hit was not worth the added eye candy. On the other hand, Dirt 2 didn't seem to have any performance hits for me when using dx11. :wacko:

Can't really compare the dx level like that based off comparing games. There's loads of factors that come into play for game performance (texture size, number of shaders, tesselation, etc).

Can't really compare the dx level like that based off comparing games. There's loads of factors that come into play for game performance (texture size, number of shaders, tesselation, etc).

I know and that's why I was generalizing.

Anyways, I'm all for dx11 and more graphic options and added performance and whatever else but my entire point was that if the game does or doesn't have dx11 shouldn't be a selling point (in my opinion). Perhaps I could have worded my posts better.

The way I see it if you have fun with a game, buy it. If you don't, don't. But dx11? Nonfactor in the decision making process.

The Star Trek Online comparison is apples to apples. It compares a game where the only thing that differs is the DX9 vs DX11 API renderer. In other words, the DX11 graphics look exactly the same as the DX9 version, as no eye candy effects where added. As it's also a MMO, the comparison is not without merit. Especially seeing how GW2 do have some complaints about performance.

Anyways... do we want to pick an official neowin server for us/eu so we can maybe all try to get on together? The only preferences I have as far as servers go is that I want one with high population so it will have a strong presence in WvWvW.

Anyways... do we want to pick an official neowin server for us/eu so we can maybe all try to get on together? The only preferences I have as far as servers go is that I want one with high population so it will have a strong presence in WvWvW.

Are these going to be server names on live?

Are these going to be server names on live?

I would assume so, although there may be more or less when it releases. I just looked at the server list and every server for US is either full or high in capacity.

They will probably release a full world list once we get closer to the 28th, though so maybe it's a bit to early to start talking about specific servers.

I guess it was ok, I was just playing PvE and there are some really annoying issues such as ridiculous respawn rates for monsters. Melee also feels pretty clunky, I don't understand why triggering a skill while having an enemy targeted doesn't automatically move you within the range.. it's really annoying having to manually move closer when in the middle of a huge melee fight.

I guess it was ok, I was just playing PvE and there are some really annoying issues such as ridiculous respawn rates for monsters. Melee also feels pretty clunky, I don't understand why triggering a skill while having an enemy targeted doesn't automatically move you within the range.. it's really annoying having to manually move closer when in the middle of a huge melee fight.

Well it shouldn't move your character for you, but it also shouldn't trigger the CD either. I have found that really annoying when I'm right outside of melee range.

I think the short guys are stupid so I doubt I will be playing as them. Enjoyed elementalist and Warrior as well as the Norn and slyvari races. Gonna try Charr last with some random class. Will most likely be getting the game.

The Asura are FAR from stupid - they are *technomancers*. (Yes - the Asura look like they would lose to the Smurfs in a height contest; however, they make up for that in sheer brainpower. My own Asuran character is an engineer - the human equivalent is an Elementalist/Necromancer. While necromancers build zombies, Asuran engineers build robots - golems in steampunk terms. Just as you don't want to find yourself crossways with a Necromancer, finding yourself crossways with an Asuran engineer is just as dangerous to your health.)

Even more worrying then the general conflicts among worlds and races is one within the Asura - the Inquest vs. the College of Statics. (Let me put it this way - the Inquest makes the White Mantle look like the von Trapp family.)

Just as I was involved with that conflict (the one with the WM) in the original GW, here I am dealing with the Inquest as an Asuran engineer in GW2 - and loving every bit of it.

Design decision. If they made you auto move to targets to use melee skills then people would complain that they got auto moved into ground aoe.

The Asura are FAR from stupid - they are *technomancers*. (Yes - the Asura look like they would lose to the Smurfs in a height contest; however, they make up for that in sheer brainpower. My own Asuran character is an engineer - the human equivalent is an Elementalist/Necromancer. While necromancers build zombies, Asuran engineers build robots - golems in steampunk terms. Just as you don't want to find yourself crossways with a Necromancer, finding yourself crossways with an Asuran engineer is just as dangerous to your health.)

Even more worrying then the general conflicts among worlds and races is one within the Asura - the Inquest vs. the College of Statics. (Let me put it this way - the Inquest makes the White Mantle look like the von Trapp family.)

Just as I was involved with that conflict (the one with the WM) in the original GW, here I am dealing with the Inquest as an Asuran engineer in GW2 - and loving every bit of it.

I don't get what you mean...the human equivalent to an asuran engineer would be a human engineer. :s

Design decision. If they made you auto move to targets to use melee skills then people would complain that they got auto moved into ground aoe.

I don't get what you mean...the human equivalent to an asuran engineer would be a human engineer. :s

I was referring to in the game - besides, the Asurans have Mesmers, as the humans do, but not Necromancers - hence their place being taken by the Asuran engineer.

I was referring to in the game - besides, the Asurans have Mesmers, as the humans do, but not Necromancers - hence their place being taken by the Asuran engineer.

Uhm...what..as Athernar said any race can be any profession. I'm not sure how you came to the conclusion that the asurans didn't have necromancers and that humans didn't have engineers.

Uhm...what..as Athernar said any race can be any profession. I'm not sure how you came to the conclusion that the asurans didn't have necromancers and that humans didn't have engineers.

I think he means lore wise, possibly (from Guild Wars 1 lore, that is).....not entirely sure.

It should be noted that only those who want to WvWvW alot with neowinians need to worry about being on the neowin guild home server. Just like how you're not completely bound to your home server, your choice of guild is not either.

Also, incase some don't know, you're also not bound to a single guild in gw2. So you could be in a neowin guild + others on the same character.