I think he means lore wise, possibly (from Guild Wars 1 lore, that is).....not entirely sure.

There is no lore that says Asurans don't have necromancers. At least none that I have found.

It should be noted that only those who want to WvWvW alot with neowinians need to worry about being on the neowin guild home server. Just like how you're not completely bound to your home server, your choice of guild is not either.

Also, incase some don't know, you're also not bound to a single guild in gw2. So you could be in a neowin guild + others on the same character.

But you have to pay gems to play on a different server. I just tried doing that earlier today.

There is no lore that says Asurans don't have necromancers. At least none that I have found.

But you have to pay gems to play on a different server. I just tried doing that earlier today.

As I said, not entirely sure, couldn't remember if Guild Wars 1 said anything about certain races not having certain classes or not, just thought maybe he thought something like that.

As Black said, guesting is disabled until release....guesting lets you visit any server you want for as long as you want, but you can't participate in WvW while on that server.

Looks like I am leaning towards a Norn Warrior or Sylvari Theif for launch. I really liked the dagger/pistol combo.

Hahah, seems fitting given your avatar! :D (Y)

I'm still going Norn guardian and probably Asura warrior. Not sure what else I make, but I'm planning on doing one character through and through finally when it releases. No alts in the beginning for me! :p

I'll be sticking to elementalist for my main at launch. Though i'm thinking of making it a sylvari rather than the human i first planned on. I'm also going to make my first couple alts right away simply for name taking purposes.

I'll probably go Warrior at launch, thief if they make a few changes (for pve)....I love the thief playstyle, it just seems too squish in solo PvE (or even 2-person pve) to hold it's own....you can only dodge so much (talking about not only physically, but in terms of dodge mechanics too), and once you're done dodging, anything other than standard mobs take you apart in a few hits.

That being said, melee ranger was interesting too (with a greatsword), and guardian was unique (felt too squishy for what it was IMO).

Is it just me, or do more than 1-2 enemies at a time make all classes feel squishy at lower levels (sub-15)? Maybe that's why I found thief so squishy (I know later on you can get some nice traits for dodging...speed, health regen, etc)?

Anyone know how thief plays in pve past level 12 or so? Seemed ultra squishy up to that point (to the point that I was using my shortbow 99% of the time and kiting).

How about warrior/guardian, do they get noticeably more tanky as they go beyond the level 10-12 range?

Still undecided on race, my friend wants to go Asura, but I really hate their looks, I would prefer norn if I went warrior, or human for thief, but I'm pretty set on non-asura, and sylvari are just weird IMO.....and charr isn't even an option. So I'm pretty much limited to human, norn, or sylvari. Norn makes the better looks for warrior, and human is boring after GW1 with humans-only, maybe I'll roll a sylvari warrior or something.

I don't think guardian is even remotely squishy. I mean, I was nearly unkillable in pve outside of the catacombs dungeon on my guardian.

I don't think guardian is even remotely squishy. I mean, I was nearly unkillable in pve outside of the catacombs dungeon on my guardian.

Aye. With health regen, healing, protection, thorn style abilities, etc, guardian is pretty tough.

I was actually surprised with guardian. I wasn't keen on trying it but it became one of my top favorite classes (with mesmer being the other).

My first will be a charr warrior. After that probably an asuran elementalist.

Did anyone participate in the Hunger Royal? It was fun I guess, although it took me most of the time to figure out how to play it, though.

I think he means lore wise, possibly (from Guild Wars 1 lore, that is).....not entirely sure.

Exactly - I played this last BWE as an Asuran - and while there were Mesmers, there were no Necromancers (unless they are strictly Inquest-based - I cooked a few of those).

Exactly - I played this last BWE as an Asuran - and while there were Mesmers, there were no Necromancers (unless they are strictly Inquest-based - I cooked a few of those).

Then your game is broken because I had the option to create an Asuran necromancer. :laugh:

I'll probably go Warrior at launch, thief if they make a few changes (for pve)....I love the thief playstyle, it just seems too squish in solo PvE (or even 2-person pve) to hold it's own....you can only dodge so much (talking about not only physically, but in terms of dodge mechanics too), and once you're done dodging, anything other than standard mobs take you apart in a few hits.

That being said, melee ranger was interesting too (with a greatsword), and guardian was unique (felt too squishy for what it was IMO).

Is it just me, or do more than 1-2 enemies at a time make all classes feel squishy at lower levels (sub-15)? Maybe that's why I found thief so squishy (I know later on you can get some nice traits for dodging...speed, health regen, etc)?

Anyone know how thief plays in pve past level 12 or so? Seemed ultra squishy up to that point (to the point that I was using my shortbow 99% of the time and kiting).

How about warrior/guardian, do they get noticeably more tanky as they go beyond the level 10-12 range?

Still undecided on race, my friend wants to go Asura, but I really hate their looks, I would prefer norn if I went warrior, or human for thief, but I'm pretty set on non-asura, and sylvari are just weird IMO.....and charr isn't even an option. So I'm pretty much limited to human, norn, or sylvari. Norn makes the better looks for warrior, and human is boring after GW1 with humans-only, maybe I'll roll a sylvari warrior or something.

That is why I enjoy playing as an Asuran engineer, to be honest - we Asuran have that whole civil war going on (College of Statics vs. Inquest - it's like professorial gladiatorial combat); reminds me a bit of debates in IEEE journals, or Robot Wars - Steampunk Style. But since you can have multiple characters, I may also do a Guardian later.

About the Necromancy topic you were talking about : The Dean of Dynamics (whose name I forgot, she hangs around with her twin sister in the Arcane Council) is a Necromancer.

I played pve a bit as a thief, and they felt fun to play. Used sword and dagger. Finding a good pace and using avoidance moves and dodges to mimimize damage made it feel strong. Important to upgrade weapons so they stay current with your level. I forgot about that early and was doing low damage, but after upgrading both to current level I was killing fast again.

My guardian didn't feel that way at all.....even with sword/shield....as one example, I went on to fight an elite my level, every 2-3 seconds of him hitting me I had to back off and wait to heal up. He downed my about 4 times throughout that fight, while my friend engineer (though he wasn't taking hits) was only downed once.

Fighting 3 enemies my level at once (on my own) felt similar, I could kill them but by the time they died my health was very low (to the point that another second or two and they would have killed me).

My guardian didn't feel that way at all.....even with sword/shield....as one example, I went on to fight an elite my level, every 2-3 seconds of him hitting me I had to back off and wait to heal up. He downed my about 4 times throughout that fight, while my friend engineer (though he wasn't taking hits) was only downed once.

Fighting 3 enemies my level at once (on my own) felt similar, I could kill them but by the time they died my health was very low (to the point that another second or two and they would have killed me).

Sounds like you're not avoiding enough. You need to be kiting at all times to avoid hits. They improved the animations of enemies so that it's much easier to pick out when they're about to strike. You can't stand and take hits with any class, you'll die.

Sounds like you're not avoiding enough. You need to be kiting at all times to avoid hits. They improved the animations of enemies so that it's much easier to pick out when they're about to strike. You can't stand and take hits with any class, you'll die.

That's my only gripe with the game, heavy armor classes shouldn't need to kite. Traditionally speaking, heavy armor absorbs the hits, while medium and light armor are the ones who need to avoid the hits. I understand they did away with the "holy trinity" as they call it, but that doesn't mean none of the classes should be capable of taking hits.

It also doesn't help that for this specific encounter, the elite was standing in some plants that made him impossible to see what he was doing, and with so many other melee classes on him he wasn't moving out of it.

Plus we only get 2 dodges before we have to wait on endurance to build back up, not exactly viable to say "well then dodge", when the enemy attacks every other second and your out of endurance for dodging 2 previous attacks. I can understand the need for thief (and other classes fighting in melee that don't wear heavy armor) to dodge, but guardian and warrior shouldn't need to. Also, I only played up to level 10-12 on most of the classes I tried, so it is a very limited scope of just touching the beginning of the trait system which likely can make warrior/guardian more tanky.

Picking your armor class shouldn't be about looks only.......currently though that's exactly what it feels like.

this is not a traditional game. Guardians have a lot of skills that block attacks and you need to be using those at the right time. There is no sustained tanking in this game and you need to kite.

this is not a traditional game. Guardians have a lot of skills that block attacks and you need to be using those at the right time. There is no sustained tanking in this game and you need to kite.

Which kind of sucks....I am fine with dodging the big hits, but when you need to kite as a melee-focused character, you have very little time to actually deal damage. I find it much more efficient if I go shortbow thief and do lots of AoE while kiting and solo elites of my level, than to go melee and flail around hopelessly as he kills me in the few hits he actually does land.

Warrior feels the same way, I can go melee and kill things (but get taken down quick if it's more than 1-2 enemies at a time), or kite X amount of enemies and kill them with my rifle.

As a thief I can melee down 3 mobs at once, but at best (using all the dodging and jumping around I can), kill them with less than 50% health left (with using a heal)......or I can go shortbow and kill groups of 4-5 guys at a time taking less than 50% damage without having to heal or dodge much.

EDIT: I feel like they need to do what Blizzard did, give the melee professions a native damage reduction. Because of weapon/skill switching, this bonus should be active on any profession that has a melee-focused weapon set equipped.

I got a Norn Warrior up to ~12 over the weekend. Spent the last few hours last night putzing around with crafting. I have been a Guild crafting leader in most MMO's I have been in. "I brake for nodes" should be my slogan. :woot: I hit every tree/bush/vein I could. I love the idea of being able to send all the components directly to the bank from out in the field. LOVE it. Shared crafting mats across all chars? LOVE it. Pulling mats from the bank to inv without having to truck it to the bank vault? LOVE it. <-- Even better would have been being able to craft directly from the bank, but I can "live" without it. Love the discovery concept, at the lower crafting I was doing makes you a buttloaf of crafting XP.

Playing this last beta weekend sealed it for me, I ordered game from GMG this morning. $47.96 after coupon for Digital Edition. Can't wait!

Still unsure about which weapon route to go. I found the two-handed sword pretty nice but on the forums people were saying two 1H swords was a good combo.

Or just circle strafe around mobs, trying to keep attacking their backs. You'll see this in PVP, dodging is rarely used instead people just run in circles around you. It's a bit of a gimmick IMO, plus you can get talents that do stuff with a full endurance pool so not spending it = more dps or defence depending on how you've specced.

I love the idea of being able to send all the components directly to the bank from out in the field. LOVE it.

Really? Is that an option on right-click? Does it stack materials if you already have some in the bank (double clicking when looking at the bank doesn't stack materials of the same kind)?

My bags were stuffed from all the crafting mats, and I didn't stop by a crafter or a bank often enough, I finally started throwing out materials so I could keep going.