Don't wait to being kicked out of game to update. Better quit when you see the message and update fast, so you'll be able to get in before the authorization servers going to be hammered.

So I'd recommend doing crafting as you level. Went from 24-30 doing crafting for about an hour last night. Got Hunstman up to 30~ and cooking to 235. It is alot of XP.

Well the first level 80 was a crafter so makes sense ;)

I'd recommend reading a guide, discoveries is where its at, also don't be a noob like me and remember to change up your gathering tools...swear I mined about 50 nodes before realising I had a lesser tool equipped (ended up with just rubble) >.<

Anyone have a staff and scepter with plus condition on them for level 30+ that he doesn't need? I'd trade for any other green weapon I have for it, as I'm now reconsidering my minions build.

The more I'm overcoming the awkwardness of playing a new MMO, the more I'm enjoying the game. Only on level 6 so far. Really enjoying the art direction of the game so far.

I have a few questions:

1. How do I access my bank? The only way I've been able to so far is through the crafting station. Is it essentially the same interface anyway?

2. Are there any classical group based dungeons in this game? At what level do these open up? I'm a dungeon crawler, myself.

The world events are nice and all, but I can't find any good reason to interact with the people that are around with me other than whacking the same **** they are. Maybe I just need to find a guild and meet some folks. So far I only have 1 RL friend getting this game. My other friends aren't interested or are just waiting for Pandaria.

The more I'm overcoming the awkwardness of playing a new MMO, the more I'm enjoying the game. Only on level 6 so far. Really enjoying the art direction of the game so far.

I have a few questions:

1. How do I access my bank? The only way I've been able to so far is through the crafting station. Is it essentially the same interface anyway?

2. Are there any classical group based dungeons in this game? At what level do these open up? I'm a dungeon crawler, myself.

The world events are nice and all, but I can't find any good reason to interact with the people that are around with me other than whacking the same **** they are. Maybe I just need to find a guild and meet some folks. So far I only have 1 RL friend getting this game. My other friends aren't interested or are just waiting for Pandaria.

I'm in the same boat. I actually joined a casual play guild (although there are hardcore players on the roster). What I'm still not clear on is if I can add people to my contacts who aren't on my server (Sanctum of Rall)?

I have a few questions:

1. There are dedicated bank NPCs, they appear on your map as a yellow circle with a bag icon in the middle.

2. Yes there are, I am not quite sure what level they start, I want to say 30 but I am not positive.

If by interact you mean party, that's the beauty of Guild Wars 2....there is no reason to party with other players unless you want to do a dungeon or have a private chat area (that involves more than you and the other person) or see each other on the map. The game is designed so you are not forced to party with people to get an objective done. Partying is designed more for those who want to stick together with the people around them (easier to see/follow, easier to communicate, etc). If you are playing without friends or people you want to hang out with, ignore the party system altogether.

I'm in the same boat. I actually joined a casual play guild (although there are hardcore players on the roster). What I'm still not clear on is if I can add people to my contacts who aren't on my server (Sanctum of Rall)?

You can add people from other servers as well as PM them no problem.

I think i am Level 8 or so. Wish they had some sort of online character portal so you could check yourself out.

So far loving the game. not much has changed from the beta. The only complaint i have is that your armor does not really influence what you look like until later in the game. So everyone looks rather much the same.

1. There are dedicated bank NPCs, they appear on your map as a yellow circle with a bag icon in the middle.

2. Yes there are, I am not quite sure what level they start, I want to say 30 but I am not positive.

If by interact you mean party, that's the beauty of Guild Wars 2....there is no reason to party with other players unless you want to do a dungeon or have a private chat area (that involves more than you and the other person) or see each other on the map. The game is designed so you are not forced to party with people to get an objective done. Partying is designed more for those who want to stick together with the people around them (easier to see/follow, easier to communicate, etc). If you are playing without friends or people you want to hang out with, ignore the party system altogether.

Thanks for the information. The fact that I'm not forced to party with folks is a bit of a problem for me, because that will mean I probably never will and will lose out on what makes an MMO fun. But the dungeons are things that help me meet people, so I'm looking forward to that.

Questions about chat:

1. When I "say" something (press enter and type in a message) who receives that message?

2. Is there anyway to "say" something to people who are immediately around me (like within "hearing" distance so to speak)?

3. Are there any global chat channels or is the chat channel I'm on when I do a default "say" already a global channel?

My "homeworld" is already filled and my friend who is joining won't be able to get on my homeworld. And I guess me moving to another homeworld is out of the question because I don't have gems or whatever yet...

I read that there is a "guest" system worked out that will allow us to still group together and accomplish PvE objectives together. Does anyone know if that is up and running yet?

Thanks for the information. The fact that I'm not forced to party with folks is a bit of a problem for me, because that will mean I probably never will and will lose out on what makes an MMO fun. But the dungeons are things that help me meet people, so I'm looking forward to that.

Questions about chat:

1. When I "say" something (press enter and type in a message) who receives that message?

2. Is there anyway to "say" something to people who are immediately around me (like within "hearing" distance so to speak)?

3. Are there any global chat channels or is the chat channel I'm on when I do a default "say" already a global channel?

My "homeworld" is already filled and my friend who is joining won't be able to get on my homeworld. And I guess me moving to another homeworld is out of the question because I don't have gems or whatever yet...

I read that there is a "guest" system worked out that will allow us to still group together and accomplish PvE objectives together. Does anyone know if that is up and running yet?

You should not miss out on much of anything, as you are questing around and adventuring (I just wander around sometimes) You will experience Dynamic Events which generally lots of folks will be doing. even though you are not in a traditional party you are doing the even with a group of people. And you can just wander into these events. sometimes they are rather massive other times its just a horde of enemies and you are trying to protect an NPC.

Questions about chat:

Had a nice long reply typed, but of course for whatever reason, the forum didn't load on clicking post so the whole thing was lost..

1/2) Say is a proximity based public chat message.

3) You can use /map to talk to everyone within that map zone, such as your city, or questing zone.

You can buy gems via the Black Lion Trading Center via Paypal or CC. Then you would purchase your homeworld transfer. If you don't care about WvW (the only thing you can't guest), then simply add the person as a friend. Friends are cross server, as they are tied to your account, not your character. Invite the person into your group, and then right click on his name and click Join In ... The functionality should be live.

Thanks!

Now, if I can just figure out PvP because right now I'm in the starting area and I'm just running in circles! It seems you can buy weapons, armor, sigils, etc for free. Is that how this is supposed to work? :laugh:

I did PvP in the beta but I just hopped in and played and got my ass handed to me. Trying to better prepare myself but it seems complicated for some reason.

Had a nice long reply typed, but of course for whatever reason, the forum didn't load on clicking post so the whole thing was lost..

3) You can use /map to talk to everyone within that map zone, such as your city, or questing zone.

You can buy gems via the Black Lion Trading Center via Paypal or CC. Then you would purchase your homeworld transfer. If you don't care about WvW (the only thing you can't guest), then simply add the person as a friend. Friends are cross server, as they are tied to your account, not your character. Invite the person into your group, and then right click on his name and click Join In ... The functionality should be live.

You can also trade gems for gold. This is what makes the game awesome: people who need gold can buy it with gems, people who want gems can buy it with gold. Those who don't want to pay real life money don't have to, and those that do can still get what they need. It's a very well thought out system if you ask me. My gold in game is worth roughly 220 gems. If I worked hard enough, I could likely get the things I want in the Black Lion Trading Center without spending a dime of real life money. :)

It totally voids the need for arbitrary functions such as balancing your game to funnel people towards the auction house, like Diablo 3 does. It also removes the aspect of "pay to win", since everyone is kept pretty even most the time. Truly loving how this is all working out to be honest!

I think i am Level 8 or so. Wish they had some sort of online character portal so you could check yourself out.

I'm willing to bet we'll see it in the future. Most MMOs don't start off with it immediately on release, since it's not a number one priority but really just an awesome convenience.

So thanks to a certain someone (mattmatik for instance!) I have the game now and I shall become addicted soon.

Props to mattmatik for being a bro! (Y)

You can also trade gems for gold. This is what makes the game awesome: people who need gold can buy it with gems, people who want gems can buy it with gold. Those who don't want to pay real life money don't have to, and those that do can still get what they need. It's a very well thought out system if you ask me. My gold in game is worth roughly 220 gems. If I worked hard enough, I could likely get the things I want in the Black Lion Trading Center without spending a dime of real life money. :)

It totally voids the need for arbitrary functions such as balancing your game crappy to funnel people towards the auction house, like Diablo 3 does. It also removes the aspect of "pay to win", since everyone is kept pretty even most the time. Truly loving how this is all working out to be honest!

I'm willing to bet we'll see it in the future. Most MMOs don't start off with it immediately on release, since it's not a number one priority but really just an awesome convenience.

Just curious, what does this mean? What is the function of a character portal?

Just curious, what does this mean? What is the function of a character portal?

If you've ever played WoW, the Armory is a great example of what he's talking about. A place where you can see your character, the armor they're wearing, their achievements, their progress, statistics, builds, etc. so that you may easily share your accomplishments or builds with others. Link for example: http://us.battle.net...Riverria/simple

MMOs like Aion and such have it too.

I'm kind of liking the game but I got to the point where I have a quest but no indicator on the map where to go. I guess I'll figure it out. What's everyone's favorite caster class? I started a Necro and an Ele and like the Necro so far.

The overflow thing is very annoying but I'm sure they'll fix this later. They have gotten a ton of feedback in the past 2 days that I'm sure we will see addressed in the coming weeks.

The overflow thing is very annoying but I'm sure they'll fix this later. They have gotten a ton of feedback in the past 2 days that I'm sure we will see addressed in the coming weeks.

I don't mind what the overflow is. Just the dialog boxes that pop up telling you about it is annoying. They could have a more subtle message about it that pops up and fades away. Something you don't have to click through.

Can you not group with your friends to for you into the same area to play together? Pretty basic oversight if not.

I haven't tried it, but from what I read the only problem currently is that the overflow server setup might mean that a person in your group is on a different server or something when you enter into an area. I think thats the current problem anyway. I bet they have small stuff like that fixed soon. Also, as the initial popularity of the game dies down some I bet you will see the overflow servers less and less.

It totally voids the need for arbitrary functions such as balancing your game to funnel people towards the auction house, like Diablo 3 does. It also removes the aspect of "pay to win", since everyone is kept pretty even most the time. Truly loving how this is all working out to be honest!

Props to mattmatik for being a bro! (Y)

You forgot to mention that you get items from the gem store as you play regularly too. I've gotten xp boosts, crafting boosts, and repair canisters without paying for them.

You can also shorten "/map" to "/y" (yell) and it goes throughout the map.....same with "/s" instead of "/say". It helps save a fraction of a second when frantically typing while in combat.

Can you not group with your friends to for you into the same area to play together? Pretty basic oversight if not.

You can, but the overflow servers are a little buggy right now. Currently, you have to either get lucky and load into the same instance of the zone as your party members, or you have to get lucky and have the "Join in ..." button when you right-click them in the party menu. They have stated they are working on fixing it, ideally, if two people are in a group it should always put them in the same overflow servers (and ask when someone joins a group if they want to "Join in" on the party leader)...and of course leave the option to "Join in" in the UI, so those that decline the initial query can do it manually later.

One nice thing though, is it does seem to put parties into a queue to get into the main servers....my friend and I are always in a party and when we are in the same zone we both get the popup to move to the primary server (for our world) at the same time. So they at least thought far enough ahead to set that up right, but there is no synchronization outside of party chat to ask or know if your party is moving to the main server.

I don't mind what the overflow is. Just the dialog boxes that pop up telling you about it is annoying. They could have a more subtle message about it that pops up and fades away. Something you don't have to click through.

Agreed the dialogs that appear are the annoying part of it. I think most people wouldn't even notice they were not on the main server if they didn't see those boxes. That's what is annoying to me too the dialogs that come up constantly.

None of my friends have bought the game because it's too expensive so I'm just questing on my own right now :'(

loving the game, lvl18 engineer. The thing hooking up with friends in the same area is pretty disturbing with the overflow. they need something to teleport to you friends

You forgot to mention that you get items from the gem store as you play regularly too. I've gotten xp boosts, crafting boosts, and repair canisters without paying for them.

Oh yes, this too! I had 3 locked chests when I first started playing. When I got my first key through the story line, I opened the first chest which had goodies in it along with another key! Second chest I opened had more goodies and ANOTHER key! Got to open all 3 chests right on the spot! :D

Agreed the dialogs that appear are the annoying part of it. I think most people wouldn't even notice they were not on the main server if they didn't see those boxes. That's what is annoying to me too the dialogs that come up constantly.

None of my friends have bought the game because it's too expensive so I'm just questing on my own right now :'(

Just hit Esc...? :huh: They only come up once when you zone in...

Its been a tough sell to my friends as well. Most of my friends are burnt out on MMOs in general, and my friends that are still playing WoW are burnt out on the whole "next WoW killer" that turns out not being as good as they hoped. As one of my friends put it, "You can't kill WoW, it's like a weed."

The price of GW2 isn't bad from the perspective that there are no monthly costs. But still, $60 going towards a WoW subscription is 4 months of gameplay. To be honest with you, I haven't really gotten my money's worth on any "WoW killer" as I get burnt out in about a month (Star Trek Online, Rift, Warhammer).

I'm staying optimistic about this one though. Wish I could convince some of my buddies. Oh well. I think if the price were $40 they would all jump on the bandwagon no problem.