@Vice, you can level without doing any hearts at all. You should never go do a Heart really as Hearts will practically complete themselves if you stick to doing events. Again, keep in mind that Hearts were only added to the game in late Beta as sort of "area identifiers", they introduce the theme of an area, they're not the main content and are totally skippable.

@Vice, you can level without doing any hearts at all. You should never go do a Heart really as Hearts will practically complete themselves if you stick to doing events. Again, keep in mind that Hearts were only added to the game in late Beta as sort of "area identifiers", they introduce the theme of an area, they're not the main content and are totally skippable.

If I didn't do hearts I wouldn't do anything. Events where I am aren't always happening. I can't just login and start an event within 2 seconds. It can take 10 or 30 minutes before an event near me starts and it's always the same event in the same location.

Hearts are a way for me to navigate the world with direction, just running about hoping an event is nearby is not a fun way to play the game, at-least not for me. I want structure or I'd be stuck gaining XP. And as I said previously my main story quest is uncompletable because within the first 30 seconds of the encounter 30 mobs spawn all at once around me and slaughter me, and the 3 NPC's that are there to help me. It requires a group, which I am unable to find after a few days of trying.

Another thing I forgot to mention before when soloing is the mob spawn rate. When you solo content mobs re-spawn way to fast. I can still be trying to clear an area and the mobs I just killed respawn on top of me. Frustrating

If I didn't do hearts I wouldn't do anything. Events where I am aren't always happening. I can't just login and start an event within 2 seconds. It can take 10 or 30 minutes before an event near me starts and it's always the same event in the same location.

Hearts are a way for me to navigate the world with direction, just running about hoping an event is nearby is not a fun way to play the game, at-least not for me. I want structure or I'd be stuck gaining XP. And as I said previously my main story quest is uncompletable because within the first 30 seconds of the encounter 30 mobs spawn all at once around me and slaughter me, and the 3 NPC's that are there to help me. It requires a group, which I am unable to find after a few days of trying.

Another thing I forgot to mention before when soloing is the mob spawn rate. When you solo content mobs re-spawn way to fast. I can still be trying to clear an area and the mobs I just killed respawn on top of me. Frustrating

What are you playing as?

Edit: also, I got my ass handed to me when I went back to play GW1 again this summer. Maybe I just suck though. :(

Except GW2 is no different from a normal mmo when it comes to skill use. Sure, you can have 5 million buttons on you WoW UI, but how many of them do you use very frequently for any typical build? Rarely any more than the 10 that make up your gw2 skillbar. It's not limiting at all, it just looks like it to some people cause they think "omg i can't have 6 billion icons".

Well, that wasn't my point at all but maybe some people do feel like the number of hotkey abilities is limiting when compared to WoW. My point was that I saw lots of cool stuff from level 1-5 of each of the different classes I started and then between 5 and 18 there haven't been any new fireworks to play with (the furthest I've gotten so I admit my knowledge is limited). It really is minor. I don't have any complaints about the diversity of skills and the direction they went with tying that to the weapon you have. But after about 14 levels, I'm starting to wonder what there is to look forward to in my character development other than just increased stats and better gear. I see a lot of locked secondary skills and am eager to get into them but hope they are not just passive abilities that offer simple stat boosts. I want to see bigger and more awesomer fireworks as I become bigger and more awesomer :D. That is all :).

Well, that wasn't my point at all but maybe some people do feel like the number of hotkey abilities is limiting when compared to WoW. My point was that I saw lots of cool stuff from level 1-5 of each of the different classes I started and then between 5 and 18 there haven't been any new fireworks to play with (the furthest I've gotten so I admit my knowledge is limited). It really is minor. I don't have any complaints about the diversity of skills and the direction they went with tying that to the weapon you have. But after about 14 levels, I'm starting to wonder what there is to look forward to in my character development other than just increased stats and better gear. I see a lot of locked secondary skills and am eager to get into them but hope they are not just passive abilities that offer simple stat boosts. I want to see bigger and more awesomer fireworks as I become bigger and more awesomer :D. That is all :).

I would say go jump into PVP. That way you have a look at just how traits affect your character and the different slot skills you can use. :)

I think people are accustomed to games like WoW where they require 4 hotkey bars just to have access to all their abilities or like GW1 where there were hundred of abilities to use.

I kind of agree. GW2 is pretty limiting.

Exactly...it isn't that I want 20+ binds or equipped skills, but I do like having the option to select all my skills (not only utility/healing). Like GW1, you were limited to 8 skills and they had to be a balance of offense/defense. Now, you are forced to use 5 weapon skills, 1 heal, 3 utility and 1 elite skill. In GW1 you could use 4 healing skills and 4 attack skills, or 2 attack skills and 6 healing/defensive skills, you weren't forced to use specific skills based on what you had equipped. Warrior in GW1 did have axe or sword only skills (as did other classes), but they also had general skills that worked with all weapons.

Except GW2 is no different from a normal mmo when it comes to skill use. Sure, you can have 5 million buttons on you WoW UI, but how many of them do you use very frequently for any typical build? Rarely any more than the 10 that make up your gw2 skillbar. It's not limiting at all, it just looks like it to some people cause they think "omg i can't have 6 billion icons".

Just the opposite, I would be happy with FEWER equipped skills than GW2 has now, but only if they open it up so you can use any of your skills in any slots. The problem is it tanks build variety (every thief who uses dual daggers is going to use the same exact skills.....they may play differently due to traits, but they will use the same exact attack skills). I understand traits change playstyle, but they do not change how characters attack, that's down to the weapons they have equipped and honestly there aren't that many weapon combinations compared to having whatever attack skills you could equip in GW1.

I hit level 80 last night on my thief.

I'm kind of bummed though. I tried to make Sword/Pistol work. I tried to keep enemies blinded, or just push out mass damage. Nothing seemed to work. I cannot solo my story quest, and I have trouble taking on more than one mob in higher levels.

I sucked it up last night and went the cookie-cutter double dagger spec. And things have gotten a lot easier, but I am not happy. It is pretty boring to say the least, and I look like every other thief now. I also can't manage blinds anymore, so my partying capabilities rest mostly on damage and bleeds, rather than control.

Meh. :/

Kind of rethinking my class choice now. But considering the amount of time, and money (60$ in bag space, and other gem items and crafting) I've put into this character, I don't want to reroll.

I'm reading more about the GW2 "end game". Are the high level "dynamic events" actually interesting at all? Is failure possible? I'm worried that the free-for-all nature of these dynamic events means little to no coordination is required to overcome the event.

I mean...is there any strategy ever involved other than staying out of obvious AOE?

This game seems like a single player game with a lot of people around you. Other than the 8 5-man instanced dungeons there doesn't seem to be a need to ever interact with anyone.

I'm reading more about the GW2 "end game". Are the high level "dynamic events" actually interesting at all? Is failure possible? I'm worried that the free-for-all nature of these dynamic events means little to no coordination is required to overcome the event.

I mean...is there any strategy ever involved other than staying out of obvious AOE?

This game seems like a single player game with a lot of people around you. Other than the 8 5-man instanced dungeons there doesn't seem to be a need to ever interact with anyone.

I don't know about that. In Orr for instance where there is literally no hearts and dynamic events are running constantly I'll be by myself and then all of a sudden I'll be joined by 2 or 3 people and we stick together for quite a while. That would never happen in any other mmo because I wouldn't want those people taking my quest objectives. The zone also requires a fairly decent amount of coordination to get the map bosses to show up. Not coordination in the traditional sense or roles to play but making sure various events succeed to the next stage. There are a lot of events like this in various other zones but they are small scale in comparison.

I think it's just fine, GW1 literally had no end game when it first came out and people put thousands of hours into that game.

It is probably premature to talk about end game when the game is only a week old. But I'm still interested in hearing what you folks that are already at 80 think about it.

At the rate I'm leveling there will probably be two expansions out b4 I hit the max level :p

if its anything like the current world Dynamic events they are anything but dynamic, its the same thing, around the same time where you can set a clock by it, effected by Nothing in the world

It is probably premature to talk about end game when the game is only a week old. But I'm still interested in hearing what you folks that are already at 80 think about it.

At the rate I'm leveling there will probably be two expansions out b4 I hit the max level :p

Going to be completely honest here. I am bored.

That is not to say, the game is boring. I just personally am bored. I know there is no endgame, and the "game" is in itself, what you are doing right now, in getting to 80. The way the game is to be viewed, is pretend there are no levels.

The whole point and purpose of 80 is just access to all of the content, instead of level appropriate. That is why you are downleveled. What you are doing right now leveling, is the game, you are just unlocking more content essentially to go back and finish for 100% completion. There are 8 dungeons of course, with explorable modes. I haven't tried those yet, mainly because I am not overly confident enough in my class.

I'm starting structured PvP tonight, as I did some while leveling, but I didn't quite like being bombarded with all my skills, and being so confused. Now that I hit 80, and have an understanding of my class, and combo fields and finishers, I feel more comfortable in sPvP. We will see how that works out. It seems fun, but there really needs to be more battleground maps. The continuous 4 I think there is get boring after awhile

I think I'm most anxious to get to the dungeons and try those out. I have more thoughts about comparing it with WoW that I wrote out; but I decided to delete them because I don't want the thread derailed into a WoW v. GuildWars 2. Because, you can really dissect the hell out of it. But nah, I like both games. But if it is as you describe, I probably won't be playing much after I hit the big 8-0.

That was the intention of it. I can't force people to represent the guild though. Was waiting to get enough influence to be able to purchase upgrades. Takes a lot longer when you don't do anything as a guild.

To be honest, I didn't see it working out anyway. The Neowin gaming community is small as it is, then you narrow it down to PC only, to the MMORPG genre, and yeah, you won't have a whole lot participating. /shrug

Community based guilds never work out.

Not true at all. 4chan's split into a couple guilds now to make up for their size as it is, splitting again as well between the US and EU. They're very helpful and friendly despite what many people would expect them out to be. Always useful chat going on, and idiots getting kicked just the same keeping it real at least.

I decided to settle with the Something Awful community myself. They've got 3 guilds so far I believe for the official SA guild, with plenty of people to talk to in all of them, get helpful info from on the forums and in game and all. That's not even counting the 3-4 side guilds that aren't the main [GOON] guilds.

So yes, communities can work. Neowin though? I wouldn't call this much of a community given the lack of people here. Personally, I'm getting annoyed with this thread alone because this seems to be the only site I'm going to so far that has people talking about being bored. Don't get me wrong, I understand people are entitled to their own opinions and such, and that not everyone is going to like the game, but between the dozens of gaming sites I go to, this seems to be the only website where people are finding a way to be bored. I don't even know what to tell these people either, as there is no other game out there on the market right now that I could suggest for them. Maybe some people are just realizing MMO's aren't for them anymore? I dunno.

Anyways, I won't be representing the Neowin guild anymore since I'm now in a guild set on doing dungeons, WvW, and such. If anyone's having issues with their character, need help, advice, suggestions, or anything though, feel free to hit me up anytime! :)

deadcell.8360

• Like 2

To be honest, I didn't see it working out anyway. The Neowin gaming community is small as it is, then you narrow it down to PC only, to the MMORPG genre, and yeah, you won't have a whole lot participating. /shrug

Not true at all. 4chan's split into a couple guilds now to make up for their size as it is, splitting again as well between the US and EU. They're very helpful and friendly despite what many people would expect them out to be. Always useful chat going on, and idiots getting kicked just the same keeping it real at least.

I decided to settle with the Something Awful community myself. They've got 3 guilds so far I believe for the official SA guild, with plenty of people to talk to in all of them, get helpful info from on the forums and in game and all. That's not even counting the 3-4 side guilds that aren't the main [GOON] guilds.

So yes, communities can work. Neowin though? I wouldn't call this much of a community given the lack of people here. Personally, I'm getting annoyed with this thread alone because this seems to be the only site I'm going to so far that has people talking about being bored. Don't get me wrong, I understand people are entitled to their own opinions and such, and that not everyone is going to like the game, but between the dozens of gaming sites I go to, this seems to be the only website where people are finding a way to be bored. I don't even know what to tell these people either, as there is no other game out there on the market right now that I could suggest for them. Maybe some people are just realizing MMO's aren't for them anymore? I dunno.

Anyways, I won't be representing the Neowin guild anymore since I'm now in a guild set on doing dungeons, WvW, and such. If anyone's having issues with their character, need help, advice, suggestions, or anything though, feel free to hit me up anytime! :)

deadcell.8360

I hear that! I'm ashamed to admit that I now have 150 hours into the game and still going strong. Granted a decent amount of that time is spent idle, but yeah.. :rofl:

We should try to do some dungeons some time. My first attempt at Coil of Eternity ended in failure. There is a particular encounter where you have to defend an npc from golems and some mobs that fire off heat seeking undodgable balls of lightning. I'm convinced that perhaps Anet overtuned some of the dungeons. We wiped a good 20 times before I gave up, don't know what the rest of group did after that. And that was a group that was all 80 with fairly decent gear. I don't see how anyone could do it at 70.

And then there is the fact that there is something in that particular instance that makes my fps go down the drain. Any other zone in the game I run around at 45 fps but I went in there and I'm in the teens. I think I'll be avoiding that one for a while. The armor you get for it ugly anyways.

And got my armor smithing to 400 tonight! Crafting exotic armors! If anyone wants some exotic heavy armor for level 80 made let me know. On average I would each piece costs about 2 gold to make, maybe a little more than that. Unless of course you get all the materials yourself. Tomorrow hopefully I will get my jewel crafting to 400.

So i got home yesterday and decided to dive into crafting, I had been doing it somewhat but decided just to store all the mats and do it when i felt like it. Well I sat down for 2 hours and did it, went from lvl 57 to 69 with just crafting, also went from lvl 150 in both JC and WS to 375 on ea, its safe to say I'm caught up now lol. I should hit 80 this week and finish my crafting and then start farming for my legendaries!!!!

• Like 2

Aaannnnndddd the trading post is down... again.

Good, it could use some work lol.

@Tragedy, yeah, that'd be cool. I'm only level 48 right now though, as I've been taking my time with things and playing with some friends on other classes as well. I heard the level 30 dungeon was pretty hard, but that the level 40 one was pretty moderate in the challenge. Still have yet to do one though.

Well that was lame, just changed my warriors talents and just started a story quest, disconnect back to character screen, attempt to join in on my warrior loading screen appears.....after about a minute, "Could not connect to log-in server", game closes back to launcher.

Servers go down for anyone else?

EDIT: I can get back to the character select screen but it keeps erroring when I try to log in.

After my third try, it worked.

It's really annoying when you get this sound bug in, say, WvW and then have to go the rest of the time you want to WvW with sound muted cause you don't want to restart the client and end up back in queue.

It's really annoying when you get this sound bug in, say, WvW and then have to go the rest of the time you want to WvW with sound muted cause you don't want to restart the client and end up back in queue.

That's an odd one. I've yet to really see any bugs in this game from my end though.

And yes, @Nagisan, servers went down briefly there for a moment.

That happened to me yesterday. I'm glad I'm not the only one that has experienced it. At first I thought my speakers or sound card decided to die on me.