Why wouldn't it? If I wanted old graphics tech I'd still be using my Xbox 360.

Okay then don't play. I don't know what to tell you. What dx version a game is running has never been a factor in if I buy a game or not, and more how much i have while playing that game. For what it's worth, the game looks amazing though.

But to each their own.

Okay then don't play. I don't know what to tell you. What dx version a game is running has never been a factor in if I buy a game or not, and more how much i have while playing that game. For what it's worth, the game looks amazing though.

But to each their own.

I will say this though, the difficulty (at least in the charr area) seems to be all over the place. I've never died more times in the first 10 levels of an mmo before. I've read the norn and human starting areas are not nearly as difficult so maybe it's just over tuned? Who knows. I do fill out the surveys whenever they pop up, too.So hopefully my experience isn't unique and anet listens to their fanbase.

I've died multiple times in the human areas too. But i kinda like the difficulty for the most part. It's much more interesting and fun than games like, say, WoW, where everything would always be dead by the time it got to the half way range of your spells.

Why wouldn't it? If I wanted old graphics tech I'd still be using my Xbox 360.

Amazing things can be done with DX11 but it very rarely gets seen. Most of the pretty things that people assume are DX11 features actually aren't. Just because a game isn't a DX11 game doesn't mean it's not good looking, and conversely just because something is using the latest tech it doesn't mean that it does look good either. I've seen some pretty ugly implementations of DX11 tech.

Amazing things can be done with DX11 but it very rarely gets seen. Most of the pretty things that people assume are DX11 features actually aren't. Just because a game isn't a DX11 game doesn't mean it's not good looking, and conversely just because something is using the latest tech it doesn't mean that it does look good either. I've seen some pretty ugly implementations of DX11 tech.

Even DX10 enables much better quality special effects, so if it is coming, cool.??All my DX10/11 games look great.All my DX9 games look good on character models but have a weaker presentation overall.??Honestly, consoles do it better since they aren't exactly DX9.And yes, I have Skyrim and Witcher 2 (definately applies to both.) I only got Skyrim cause they said DX11 was coming after launch...so far nothin but talk there.

They have said DX 10 is coming after launch.. they wanted to make it DX9 to allow the most number of people in at a time on the beta so they could get the most amount of feed back. Complaining about DX9 is like complaining water is too wet. It's nice to do, but it's pointless in the long run. If you're letting a simple rendering engine stop you from playing the game, you've got bigger problems to worry about than that.

They have said DX 10 is coming after launch.. they wanted to make it DX9 to allow the most number of people in at a time on the beta so they could get the most amount of feed back. Complaining about DX9 is like complaining water is too wet. It's nice to do, but it's pointless in the long run. If you're letting a simple rendering engine stop you from playing the game, you've got bigger problems to worry about than that.

I didn't say I wouldn't play the game, I just won't be buying it right away. I have plenty of games already.

As if direct x 9 only cards are actually capable of running todays pc games in a playable manner. And if you're stupid enough to still be running XP(especially on a pc that CAN run modern games) you need slapped, and then need your pc taken away.

Maybe I just suck at GW2, but I have horrible survivability. I will go from full to nothing in no time. The game started easy, then I hit level 8 and was too low to do the story mode, but then creatures that were my level I couldn't even take on 2 and survive. Great game, I like that it's hard, however it may be a little bit TOO difficult to proceed solo, and hoping that people are near ya.

I was just about to make a new character when it went down.

Good god this game is awesome. I love how challenging combat is - you never get bored with it! I think thieves are a bit squishy at the moment, My level 10 can't use daggers at all because if I misstime a dodge I'm done for.

what I don't understand is why graphics are apparently more important than the game play. Should buy a game for the game not how it looks, seems silly to me otherwise.

what I don't understand is why graphics are apparently more important than the game play. Should buy a game for the game not how it looks, seems silly to me otherwise.

both things are equally important to me. I can like the way a game plays with combat, movement, etc, but if it looks like arse overall and blurry or blockish, then I will quickly move to other things as my senses demand a complete package (visuals, movement, story, etc). That's just me... but not that I couldn't load up an old text based game, or some old fps if needed, just that I don't play those for long periods of time like an MMO, or the 'semi-MMO' that GW is.

GW seems fun, but as a whole package, it lacks smoothness in the graphics and gameplay to me. I already paid the full price for it, so I will be playing, but time will tell how much they fix up by release... here is for hoping to have DX10 or 11.

This is depressing. Haven't been able to log in in the past 25 hours. Weekend wasted, and god only knows when the next BWE will take place.

This is depressing. Haven't been able to log in in the past 25 hours. Weekend wasted, and god only knows when the next BWE will take place.

I was on about 2 hours ago, and for much of the night last night. So not sure why you haven't been able to, unless it's personal life things preventing you.

I was on about 2 hours ago, and for much of the night last night. So not sure why you haven't been able to, unless it's personal life things preventing you.

Nah, it's a pretty huge issue they have right now. A lot of people from Middle-East and North Africa are just unable to log in whatsoever. Been like this since the event went live. Before the forums went down you could find a 2500+ replies thread on the subject. I'm "lucky" to be from North Africa as I'll still have tomorrow to play if they fix the problem, but people from the Middle-East have weekends on Friday-Saturday, so they won't be able to experience it. It's a shame really, I hope they extend the Beta or at least organize a second one next week. Extending would be better though as I won't be working this Monday.

PS : VPNs don't work. It's an account problem, not a current location one.

Nah, it's a pretty huge issue they have right now. A lot of people from Middle-East and North Africa are just unable to log in whatsoever. Been like this since the event went live. Before the forums went down you could find a 2500+ replies thread on the subject. I'm "lucky" to be from North Africa as I'll still have tomorrow to play if they fix the problem, but people from the Middle-East have weekends on Friday-Saturday, so they won't be able to experience it. It's a shame really, I hope they extend the Beta or at least organize a second one next week. Extending would be better though as I won't be working this Monday.

PS : VPNs don't work. It's an account problem, not a current location one.

So it just doesn't let you login? I wonder if they took it down to try and fix it?

So it just doesn't let you login? I wonder if they took it down to try and fix it?

In a nutshell, yes. It's a little more involved than that though : Most of the times, I can log in and get to the selection screen then (like 1 second later) I get an error (Code 21) and I get kicked out. When I'm lucky, I can stay on the selection screen indefinitely but any action will prompt another error (Code 34). 1000s (if not more) of people have been experiencing this issue since beta launch, so you can imagine it got a little heated in the forums with all the frustration and the lack of transparency from ANet. Hopefully the current downstate means the problem will be fixed when it goes up again. I'm not getting my hopes up though, the servers already went down earlier (for a short time) and nothing happened.

what I don't understand is why graphics are apparently more important than the game play.??Should buy a game for the game not how it looks, seems silly to me otherwise.

I buy games for the complete package. Audio, graphics, AI, gametype, fun, whether it's just a scripted experience or open world are all factors.If a game doesn't meet my expectations I already want to buy something else instead...and so far GW2 hasn't met my expectations.GW2s interest level was already relatively low, not because it won't be good but because I couldn't be arsed to finish Factions and barely started Nightfall or Eye of the North.

In a nutshell, yes. It's a little more involved than that though : Most of the times, I can log in and get to the selection screen then (like 1 second later) I get an error (Code 21) and I get kicked out. When I'm lucky, I can stay on the selection screen indefinitely but any action will prompt another error (Code 34). 1000s (if not more) of people have been experiencing this issue since beta launch, so you can imagine it got a little heated in the forums with all the frustration and the lack of transparency from ANet. Hopefully the current downstate means the problem will be fixed when it goes up again. I'm not getting my hopes up though, the servers already went down earlier (for a short time) and nothing happened.

Ah okay, that's the problem with "Beta Weekends" is you get 2 and a half days to play, and problems like these cut the time down even more.

I buy games for the complete package. Audio, graphics, AI, gametype, fun, whether it's just a scripted experience or open world are all factors.If a game doesn't meet my expectations I already want to buy something else instead...and so far GW2 hasn't met my expectations.GW2s interest level was already relatively low, not because it won't be good but because I couldn't be arsed to finish Factions and barely started Nightfall or Eye of the North.

Fair enough, the only ones I fully beat were Prophecies, and Nightfall. I own all of them though. But I take GW2 as a new game, not an extension of the original. So for me it was like a fresh start/new game.

You do realize this game is pretty much nothing like the original, right?