Idle Car RPMs are way too high

First off, I'll apologize. You know those people who don't know anything about computers, who can't even tell you how many gigs it has, and say things like "My computer has 6 Gee Bee's and a few RAMs of memory" ? Well, I'm the automotive equivalent of that...

Today I noticed that when I turned the car on (1994 Ford Tempo), the RPM's were way too high, as if I was holding down the gas pedal. I don't have an RPM meter on the dash, so I can't give specifics. But it is definitely higher than usual. If you give it a little gas, it gets very loud and takes a long time to go back down to "normal" RPMs. But in this case, normal RPMs are still too high.

Gas pedal isn't jammed. The throttle/accelerator thing isn't jammed either. Umm, the "choke" (I think that's what it is?) is also fine. My dad and I looked at it but didn't see anything out of the ordinary. Then it just so happened that my uncle who runs a car repair / towing business was right down the block. He checked it out and said that it might be a vacuum/valve leak. But we couldn't find anything.

Then he said it could be the idle control valve / sensor.

When you put the car in drive, it goes back down, but you've gotta keep your foot on the break or else it'll take off faster than usual. While driving, it's like I have automatic cruise control. Speed won't drop unless I brake. And as soon as you put it in park again, the RPMs climb back up very fast, so I turn it off quickly.

I think we're going to check for leaks again later, but until then, just thought I'd ask for opinions.

OH, this may also be of importance, but I noticed that I was a little low on gas, so I went to fill it up. When I unscrewed the gas cap, a bunch of air shot out of the tank. That never happened before. Not sure if it's related or not.

So, yeah :wacko:

Could have an O2 or similar sensor going bad, and it's thinking the mix of air/fuel is off, so it's compensating by increasing the idle to keep the car from stalling. When it's readings are infact bad, and the fuel mixture is fine.

Also it could be the idle control valve / sensor.

Could have an O2 or similar sensor going bad, and it's thinking the mix of air/fuel is off, so it's compensating by increasing the idle to keep the car from stalling. When it's readings are infact bad, and the fuel mixture is fine.

Also it could be the idle control valve / sensor.

Ah, THAT's what my uncle mentioned. Not sure where I got "intake motor" from, LOL.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll forward them to the people who know more than I do.

He probably said== Mass Airflow Sensor- is possibly what he said-- I would say it is probably your Throttle position sensor going bad---without seeing the car.

I would probably take it to a shop-- unless you want to be replacing parts left and right.

Yeah, we have a Toyota Celica 2002 that idles different than it used to, and the shop says that it probably has a bad O2 sensor. A bad O2 sensor of course triggers the Engine Light too.

if the car is also overheating, it can be a good indication of a bad O2 sensor.

There could also be other problems such as misfiring sparkplugs or slipping timing belt.

etc, but as said. Take it to a shop to have them "Asses" what they think the problem is and a quote of what it would cost to replace.

That way you know for sure what the problem is. Guessing and replacing parts can be costly.

Yeah, we have a Toyota Celica 2002 that idles different than it used to, and the shop says that it probably has a bad O2 sensor. A bad O2 sensor of course triggers the Engine Light too.

My engine light isn't on, though.

I'm gonna check the idle control valve / IAC in a bit.

I'm not too sure about the throttle position sensor. My dad isn't exactly a mechanic or anything, so he wouldn't even know where to look to find most of this stuff. Specifically the O2 sensor.

@Micro, the car isn't overheating, but it is hotter than usual. However, it's staying within the normal range and hasn't come close to the red / dangerous temp levels.

I've had this happen in two previous cars that I've owned and both times it's been the oxygen sensor!

Good to know. So it's most likely one of these goofy sensors dying on me :p

yea, the problem is those goofy sensors are usually expensive... :(

My uncle has a 93 Tempo with no title that he had to tow earlier in the year; maybe I can just swap with the parts from that one? Unless of course, it's the labor that jacks up the cost and not the part itself..

Sounds a lot like a vacuum leak. If it's not obvious, maybe it's the intake manifold gasket.

Unplugging the idle air bypass valve while the engine is running should cause the engine to slow down or stall on a working system. If there is a vacuum leak or the valve is sticking, it may have no effect.

Just something to try.

My car had a similar problem. Turned out a few of the cables that go from the sensors to the PCM had been damaged. I believe that it was the TPS that was causing that specific issue.

Okay, well it turns out my dad doesn't know where ANYTHING is. I took some pictures just in case you guys could help, but most likely I'll end up taking it to my uncle's shop.

Where is the Idle Control Valve? The Idle Air Bypass valve? the TPS? Is it possible to even see in these pictures?

Also, would the O2 be underneath the vehicle?

Sorry for the noob questions, but I really do feel like I'm picking up on this quite fast. Same way I learned about computers; had them go bad on me and the internet helped me identify problems, etc. :p

58848761.jpg

64194444.jpg

16563796.jpg

84787627.jpg

98852400.jpg

10229334.jpg

74835770.jpg

ICS is usually connected to the throttle body, which is conected to the accelerator cable.

O2 sensor is located on the exhaust manifold, pending on ya car, maybe access is better froom underneath.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_does_a_%2793_Ford_Tempo_GL_suddenly_have_a_high_idle

http://www.trustmymechanic.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7896&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Trying to find a image now for you, but you try as well

Well something cheap and most commonly ignored -- and easy to rule out which has something to do with iddle- is the PCV valve-- found yours at Autozone for under 4$ and can easily be ruled out.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Az-Filters-PCV-Valve/1994-Ford-Tempo/_/N-j0yhlZ8gd7h?counter=0&filterByKeyWord=pcv&fromString=search&itemIdentifier=830779_46441_0_

Thanks Redvamp.

Jasur, is an ICS the same as Idle air control valve?

I found this on WikiAnswers as well, 94 Ford Tempo high idle -

"I used to drive mine over 500 miles from DC to Columbia SC and it would idle high once I finally stopped. A guy did something to the throttle to loosen it but....the solution is the idle air control valve. Its right in front of the windshield wiper fluid. Its as easy as replacing the TPS which is two bolts holding it on but make sure you get the right TPS and a Motorcraft idle air control with gaskets. If you dont you might have the same issues again. Easy to replace if you have a socket wrench. "

I really don't see anything in front of my windshield wiper fluid :blink:

the reason o2 sensors are so expensive is the labor invovled; the part its self is like 25$

some cars need the hole manifold pretty much taken apart to get to one of them

most cars have like 3 of them

i would play with your idle cable before hopping on the o2 sensor route exp. with no engine light on

idle cable

and intake

PCV valve is the Silver thing with the hose to the left of your OIL CAP-- Very simple-- pull out hose -- grasp Pcv pull up-- wipe with cloth the hole-- insert new one and then replace hose--

Seen best in the fifth picture you posted-- Bottom Right corner-

Also found this too

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Where_is_the_throttle_position_sensor_located_on_a_Taurus_-_Sable

Now it says clean it first before replacing -- save yourself some time and money by trying that one first.

I knew a guy who actually got a ticket for not having his battery bolted down. :unsure:

You know why-- the batteries should be bolted down-- I actually saw the remains of a car that didn't have it bolted down-- If you hit a bump on top mounted batteries the battery can hit the hood and arc and short out then cause a fire not to mention it takes the chance of it exploding... Also the side mounted batteries can actually rock and hit the front engine compartment and cause the same.

It's just one of those things like the ticket for no seat belt. Many people wear them to avoid getting a ticket, not because they can prevent death. :wacko:

I also found out later on that because of that vehicle fire-- it caused a 3 car accident and one person is paralyzed because of it.... The vehicle caught fire after hitting a bump and the lady panicked and pulled immediately over and right into the other car and the last car hit the other car from behind.

So because of that it could have caused death-- those people sure were lucky.