Spam sent automatically from my hotmail account

My email is sending spam to all my contact list . The mails contain nothing but a link to healthworld.com ... Sometimes they use a URL shortener like Bit.ly and sometimes they are just straight in your face . I usually know about this from my friends or from the Delivery Notification Failure message . How do I fix this . I looked online and everybody says to scan the computer then change the password and that will fix it but my antivirus shows nothing . I'm using Microsoft Essentials and I always update it . And also one more thing bothers me is the Delivery Notification failure message .. Why do I get it since the emails that the message is sent to is actually valid . ? The last question was just out of curiousity . Thanks in advance for all the help

I had the same issue about a month ago. I don't think it's the fault of your computer. I changed my password to something stupidly long and complex over a week ago and it stopped for me.

Yes, the same thing happened to me about a month ago too. I meant to do soemthing about it (like change my password as MarkusDarkus did) bit didn't get around to it. Fortunately the spamming stopped so I presumed MS did something at their end. Looks like I may have been wrong and should take action after all.

I had the same issue about a month ago. I don't think it's the fault of your computer. I changed my password to something stupidly long and complex over a week ago and it stopped for me.

I changed my password into seomething long but not very compex (Because when it got complexI couldn't get the two password feilds to match .. Hehehe) .. I did that yesterday .. Does this usually take time to stop after you change the password ?

All the computers you care about. However I scanned all my machines with MBAM, Spybot S&D, MSE, and a few root kit tools and they didn't find anything. I think its more a case of passwords being brute forced or harvested as I did many things to pin it down to a specific machine but it even happened when they were all off-line and I used it through the browser on my sisters computer for a few days.

Doing a scan with the free version of Malware Bytes .. Found 5 infections so far on the PC I often use to access my email . Hope the free version is good enough