How do you play sound from PC and TV at the same time?

I use to have this setup when I was using XP. The sound would be played on my PC speakers and HDTV. Now I can only select one. Once I set one of them as default there would be no sound coming out of the other one. How do I make it come out of both? By the way, for some reason the system is recognizing my HDTV as Headphones.. Please help me.

Thanks

Use a 3.5mm splitter?

That might work, but I'm pretty sure there's a simpler fix for this.. because it worked when I was using XP. Must be the settings or something. Unless Microsoft changed something in Win7 that doesn't allow it..

Well if your computer is recognising the TV as headphones then I imagine there is your first problem. I would say you need to set it up so the computer knows you have 4 speakers, and set it to stereo (at a guess).

It would be simpler to just get a splitter though.

I'm going to ask the obvious question that everyone else seems to have missed: how is the sound connected to your HDTV? Are you connecting to the TV via HDMI? If so, I can't think of a way for the sound to go to the TV and the speakers at the same time (at least it won't on my setup with Windows 7 and an ATI Radeon HD 3650). It seems weird if it was working that way in XP, perhaps it was a bug in the way the mixer worked in that OS that allowed you to output to two different devices at the same time.

I'm going to ask the obvious question that everyone else seems to have missed: how is the sound connected to your HDTV? Are you connecting to the TV via HDMI? If so, I can't think of a way for the sound to go to the TV and the speakers at the same time (at least it won't on my setup with Windows 7 and an ATI Radeon HD 3650). It seems weird if it was working that way in XP, perhaps it was a bug in the way the mixer worked in that OS that allowed you to output to two different devices at the same time.

I use a DVI to HDMI to connect my computer to my HDTV. Then I used something similar to this audio cable for the sound: http://www.infinitecables.com/pop/av_trs-rcae.htm

This setup should work because it worked for my XP system.

Any ideas?

Thanks

My dad uses his laptop to stream media from that to the TV and has the same problem on one his tvs in that it will not do the sound through the HDMI cable (Seems to be an issue with the TV) soon as i add a jack to rca cable for the sound alls fine find it odd :/ thats the only solution that i personally can think off and know works. Think we had issues with the sound a few times with an rca but figured them out just by messing about.

My dad uses his laptop to stream media from that to the TV and has the same problem on one his tvs in that it will not do the sound through the HDMI cable (Seems to be an issue with the TV) soon as i add a jack to rca cable for the sound alls fine find it odd :/ thats the only solution that i personally can think off and know works. Think we had issues with the sound a few times with an rca but figured them out just by messing about.

Make sure he has HDMI designated as the default audio device or else it will try to use the onboard audio out. Also keep in mind that if you're doing DVI->HDMI you will not get sound that way.