UFC 121 - Lesnar vs Velasquez

Well I was wrong. I thought the 30 pound or so weight difference would be too much to overcome. I am very happy to be wrong though. The HW division being dominated by super heavyweights would make for a much more limited division. This opens it wide up again.

Yvel used to be the most exciting fighter on the planet back 10 years ago. Such a shame to see him handled like that.

I wonder if Lesner will keep fighting? I mean, he came in and immediately got moved to the top and stayed there for quite a while. He has never really had to "earn his way" to the belt. Do you guys think he's the kind of fighter that will toil through a few lower level fights to make his way back for a title shot?

I wonder if Lesner will keep fighting? I mean, he came in and immediately got moved to the top and stayed there for quite a while. He has never really had to "earn his way" to the belt. Do you guys think he's the kind of fighter that will toil through a few lower level fights to make his way back for a title shot?

The UFC is a business and Lesnar is still a top PPV draw, capable of boosting the number of buys of any card he is in and carrying any non-title PPV. You won't see him fighting guys like Struve or Gonzaga making his way bakc up again. He will keep fighting other Top 6 opponents. Next fight will be either be Lesnar vs Mir III or Lesnar vs the loser of Carwin vs Nelson. If he ends up beating Mir to a pulp, he will be back in contention in less than 18 months. The HW division isn't that stacked in terms of big PPV names. They will have to work the Cain angle a lot until he can carry a PPV all by himself.

The UFC is a business and Lesnar is still a top PPV draw, capable of boosting the number of buys of any card he is in and carrying any non-title PPV. You won't see him fighting guys like Struve or Gonzaga making his way bakc up again. He will keep fighting other Top 6 opponents. Next fight will be either be Lesnar vs Mir III or Lesnar vs the loser of Carwin vs Nelson. If he ends up beating Mir to a pulp, he will be back in contention in less than 18 months. The HW division isn't that stacked in terms of big PPV names. They will have to work the Cain angle a lot until he can carry a PPV all by himself.

My question was more in the context of Lesner's point of view, not Dana White's. I was wondering if Lesner himself is going to be fine with having to earn a shot at the title? He got the last shot was what like 3 bouts into his career? I was thinking about the kind of guy he is - would he be willing to battle for 18-24 months for a chance or just say "screw it, I did it, had the title, on to the next thing". It's not like he is most likely hurting for cash of anything.

My question was more in the context of Lesner's point of view, not Dana White's. I was wondering if Lesner himself is going to be fine with having to earn a shot at the title? He got the last shot was what like 3 bouts into his career? I was thinking about the kind of guy he is - would he be willing to battle for 18-24 months for a chance or just say "screw it, I did it, had the title, on to the next thing". It's not like he is most likely hurting for cash of anything.

I can see your point. He dropped out of the WWE, the NFL, K-1... I don't know how things will go. There are big bucks to be made in MMA but yeah, it's not about the money for him. Dana will probably try to steer him in the be$t way.

The full list of UFC 121 payouts included:

Cain Velasquez: $200,000 (includes $100,000 win bonus)

def. Brock Lesnar: $400,000

Jake Shields: $150,000 ($75,000 win bonus)

def. Martin Kampmann: $27,000

Diego Sanchez: $100,000 ($50,000 win bonus)

def. Paulo Thiago: $18,000

Matt Hamill: $58,000 ($29,000 win bonus)

def. Tito Ortiz: $250,000

Brendan Schaub: $20,000 ($10,000 win bonus)

def. Gabriel Gonzaga: $67,000

Court McGee: $30,000 ($15,000 win bonus)

def. Ryan Jensen: $10,000

Tom Lawlor: $20,000 ($10,000 win bonus)

def. Patrick Cote: $21,000

Daniel Roberts: $16,000 ($8,000 win bonus)

def. Mike Guymon: $8,000

Sam Stout: $32,000 ($16,000 win bonus)

def. Paul Taylor: $16,000

Chris Camozzi: $16,000 ($8,000 win bonus)

def. Dongi Yang: $8,000

Jon Madsen: $16,000 ($8,000 win bonus)

def. Gilbert Yvel: $30,000

The same thing happened with Carwin Brock just struggles with good boxers and no way does Brock have a glass jaw it's not as if he just got hit once then got KOd he got hit by around 30 punches got taken down then got ground and pounded and to all the people saying omg I told you Brock would lose you've been saying this every time Brock fights. :sleep:

Nobody said he has a glass jaw, he has never been actually KO'd. But it doesn't change the fact that he's "scared" of being punched. As i explained previously it's most likely because of his background and never having been punched, but when he gets hit he crumbles and goes into the fetal position.

Yeh thats one thing that bugs me about Brock, i mean why not just keep standing and cover up, id rather take body shots then just get owned down on the ground.. Little bits of that showed in the Carwin fight, even if it had got to the 2nd round Cain's cardio wouldve kept him going like it was the first round, Carwin did look like he'd been in a 4 round brawl at the beginning of the second..

Lesnar is a prime example of a supposed hardman with a glass jaw!

Nobody said he has a glass jaw, he has never been actually KO'd. But it doesn't change the fact that he's "scared" of being punched. As i explained previously it's most likely because of his background and never having been punched, but when he gets hit he crumbles and goes into the fetal position.

He's 33 and only been doing MMA for a couple years; it's a shame Brock never started earlier most MMA fighters don't do to well after the age of 35; as much as we like to hate him who doesn't love to watch him fight.

Yeh thats one thing that bugs me about Brock, i mean why not just keep standing and cover up, id rather take body shots then just get owned down on the ground.. Little bits of that showed in the Carwin fight, even if it had got to the 2nd round Cain's cardio wouldve kept him going like it was the first round, Carwin did look like he'd been in a 4 round brawl at the beginning of the second..

Personally I'd rather not take any; the punches he took from Cain and Carwin would probably kill me there supposed to be the same as been hit with a baseball bat so it's easy to sit here and tell him what he should do but if we were in his position we'd be huddle in the fetal position crying for an ambulance.

Oh yeah if i had the choice i wouldnt take any either haha.. I couldnt believe Cain's punch was over 1000lbs more pressure than James Toney, shocking and scary..

Where'd they find this out?

Gabriel Gonzaga (11-6 MMA, 7-5 UFC) is the latest one-time UFC contender to enter the free agency waters.

The heavyweight today announced via Twitter that the UFC has released him from his contract following a decision loss to Brendan Schaub at this past Saturday's UFC 121 event.

"Back to normal life and [brazilian jiu-jitsu] forever," Gonzaga wrote today.

The 31-year-old Gonzaga was 3-4 inside the octagon since he vied for the heavyweight title against then-champion Randy Couture at UFC 74. Couture won the fight via third-round TKO.

Gonzaga suffered a badly broken nose in the first round of the August 2007 fight, though he managed to fracture Couture's left arm with a high kick.

That same weapon netted the Brazilian one of the most shocking highlights in UFC history when he took on Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic at UFC 70 and knocked the former PRIDE champion out cold with a kick in the first round. The win set up his title bid.

Gonzaga struggled to stay consistent following his meeting with Couture. Fabricio Werdum stopped him by second-round TKO at UFC 80, and though he racked up back-to-back wins over Justin McCully and Josh Hendricks, he was knocked out by Shane Carwin at UFC 96.

After rebounding again with a TKO of Chris Tuchscherer at UFC 102, he had a chance to stop the rise of now-contender Junior Dos Santos at UFC on Versus 2 in March. Instead, he found himself the victim of a first-round knockout.

Although he took Schaub the distance in this past Saturday's UFC 121, which took place at the Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif., he was frequently outclassed on his feet and eventually outpointed on all judges' scorecards.