set up computer as public IP and expose to internet

How can I set up the computer(win XP) and router in order to expose the computer to internet .

So, public can fto in and out to this computer .

The computer is connect to the router that use PPPOE to access internet .

The computer is connected the router by direct cable

The router is TP link TL-WR740N.

Put that computer in the DMZ of your router. That is what it is for. Or, as others said, simply forward the needed ports.

Could you descibe more about DMZ ???I have no idea but I am interest this .....

Most modern routers have a DMZ function on them. Basically you set a static IP address for your computer, then tell the router that the computer's IP address should be placed in to the DMZ. After that, all the ports for that IP address (and thereby your computer) are completely open. Basically it's just easier than adding each and every port that you'll want to use with the computer. It also means that while an attacker could gain access to that one computer, they wouldn't automatically have access to the rest of the network.

Could you descibe more about DMZ ???I have no idea but I am interest this .....

Basically, you should have a DMZ setting in your router config page, set that to the IP address of the computer that you wish to 'expose', and any traffic that doesn't have predefined rules, will be forwarded to said computer.

Edit: Beat me :p

Basically, you should have a DMZ setting in your router config page, set that to the IP address of the computer that you wish to 'expose', and any traffic that doesn't have predefined rules, will be forwarded to said computer.

I copy from the help of router:

The DMZ host feature allows one local host to be exposed to the Internet for a special-purpose service such as Internet gaming or video conferencing. The Router forwards packets of all services to the DMZ host. Any PC that is set to be DMZ host must have its DHCP client function disabled and should have a new static IP address assigned to it because its IP Address may change when using the DHCP function

So, does it mean I need to disable the DHCP client in the computer ?? How can I disable in win XP ???

Please advice .

I have to ask -- why do you think you need to do this? Fully exposing a machine to the public net is not really a good idea.

Is there some specific application or game your trying to make work that is not?? We can help you get the game/application working vs putting your machine into the DMZ.

If I configure the route have DMZ host IP -A , My computer disable DHCP client and set to IP A ,

The router have IP address B .The router connect to public internet by PPPoE .

So, in this case , IF I set up the FTP server in the computer , which IP address do the ftp command point to ,

point to A or point to B ????

Please advice .

If you gave us a bit more info as to why you need to do this, we may be able to offer better advice. Putting your PC into the DMZ of your router is just asking for trouble IMHO.

Running a ftp server behind a nat router is really quite simple -- you need to forward port 21 to your servers IP.. There is no routing??

example. lets say your public IP is 1.2.3.4, internet interface on your router.. Your routers lan IP is say 192.168.1.1, your PC is say 192.168.1.100

Internet -- <publicIP 1.2.2.4> router <192.168.1.1> -- <192.168.1.100>pc

On your router forward tcp port 21 to your pc that is running the ftp server, in this example 192.168.1.100

your router calls port forwarding virtual servers.. Look on page 50 of its manual

post-14624-12882725478969.jpg

There is NO need to expose every single port on the machine to the public net, to allow the internet to talk to ftp server running on it.. You need to forward 1 port!

I have to ask -- why do you think you need to do this? Fully exposing a machine to the public net is not really a good idea.

Agree! If the exposed machine is compromised, your network is in danger.

If you gave us a bit more info as to why you need to do this, we may be able to offer better advice. Putting your PC into the DMZ of your router is just asking for trouble IMHO.

Grepus - how the hell are ya doin'?

• 1 year later...

Hello everyone,

I have a question that I feel is related to this thread. We, at our small business, are currently speaking with a CRM company that offers Quickbooks integration and they are asking for us to expose our IP so that the CRM can access our QB company file. If we forward port 21 as mentioned above and give this company the IP so that the CRM and QB data file can synch up every 24 hours or whatever, would that leave our company file open to others on the internet? Others being people that we have not given that information to. Or if there is another thread or website I should check out for the answer that would be great too! Thanks!!!

if what you wanted to do is share your files, you could try this simple thing.. use opera 10+, they have a feature that gives you (or your users)access to a shared folder (or many folders) and a link with or without password access. You could even buy a domain name and just forward to your Opera given web addy.

Hello everyone,

I have a question that I feel is related to this thread. We, at our small business, are currently speaking with a CRM company that offers Quickbooks integration and they are asking for us to expose our IP so that the CRM can access our QB company file. If we forward port 21 as mentioned above and give this company the IP so that the CRM and QB data file can synch up every 24 hours or whatever, would that leave our company file open to others on the internet? Others being people that we have not given that information to. Or if there is another thread or website I should check out for the answer that would be great too! Thanks!!!

Port 21 is specifically for FTP. You would need to ask this company which ports they need opened for QB.