How do I remove this plastic thing over my fuses?

Hey, hopefully this is the right place to put this. I figured there are probably some people who know about this stuff on here. Pretty sure I just blew a fuse in my house by overloading a circuit with a heater. I just moved in to this place so I'm not too familiar with the circuits and wiring or whatever. So I went to check out the fuse box and there seems to be some plastic cover over some of the fuses. Not sure how to remove it so I can change the fuses beneath it. Any suggestions? I dont even know the proper terminology for what this is called... I tried googling "how to remove plastic fuse cover" and such but haven't been able to find anything useful.

Thanks for any help you can provide

post-14966-12890020387379.jpg

Get an electrician to swap the fuse box for a circuit breaker, much more reliable and cheaper since you don't need to replace the fuses

Any way you can post a picture?

edit: lol, there was no pic showing when i typed that. It looks like it might have something to do with the center piece, like you push it together or pull apart

I attached a picture to the post. Should be visible I would think..?

And this is a rental house.... I'm not going to replace the fuse box for a circuit breaker just because one fuse blew... :blink:

Get an electrician to swap the fuse box for a circuit breaker, much more reliable and cheaper since you don't need to replace the fuses

I actually have to agree with this. Fuses get expensive quick and it will save you a lot of time, money, and hassle in the long run to replace it with a breaker box

I might be missing a little but that fuse at the bottom left looks blown....

Anyhow, does the panel have a manufacturer / part number stamped on it, maybe on the inside of the door?

I attached a picture to the post. Should be visible I would think..?

And this is a rental house.... I'm not going to replace the fuse box for a circuit breaker just because one fuse blew... :blink:

Ah, ya, if it's a rental, then don't bother. Actually...I think there was a company that made breakers that were compatible with this style of fuse box. I'll post back if I can find it.

Any way you can post a picture?

edit: lol, there was no pic showing when i typed that. It looks like it might have something to do with the center piece, like you push it together or pull apart

When the "fuse" blows you just have to reset the switch and you are back in business, so much easier than a fuse box

When the "fuse" blows you just have to reset the switch and you are back in business, so much easier than a fuse box

Actually I was thinking of these They just have a little button you push to reset them. They're not badly priced either.

I prefer the system I had installed, because you use the switches to turn things off as well for example if you go away

Okay epic facepalm moment here, just went down to look at the damn thing again and tried pulling quite hard on the center plastic piece and the whole thing came out like I wanted. Was able to swap fuses and get things going again. I had tried pulling it out earlier, but with not enough force apparently.. didn't want to break anything. Thanks anyway guys lol sorry to waste a thread.

Okay epic facepalm moment here, just went down to look at the damn thing again and tried pulling quite hard on the center plastic piece and the whole thing came out like I wanted. Was able to swap fuses and get things going again. I had tried pulling it out earlier, but with not enough force apparently.. didn't want to break anything. Thanks anyway guys lol sorry to waste a thread.

Glad you got it. I was going to suggest shutting off the main breaker, then pulling hard on those fuses to pop them out. Take 'em to any hardware store and you should probably be able to find a replacement.

Man have not seen those since I was a kid ;) Remember Mom using a penny as temp until could get to the store for new fuse ;) Yeah not safe!!! Those types of fuses are well over 30 years old..

Glad you got it sorted, but if renting -- you might want suggest to landlord update the 30 year old setup.