2018 (Hosts: Russia) /2022 (Hosts: Qatar) World Cup Thread

they are quite rich, and besides i think they said that after the games they will give stadiums to other hosting countries who cant quite afford it :D

They're not exactly rich, they just have a lot of petroleum, which in turn makes them rich, but it's all temporary, it's not nearly enough to justify letting them host the biggest sporting event of the year.

Russian PM Vladimir Putin has thanked Fifa "from the bottom of my heart" for choosing Russia to be the host of the 2018 World Cup.

Arriving in Zurich, Mr Putin said the competition would be held to the highest standards.

He said it had been a "difficult decision" not to come for the result earlier in the day.

He did so out of respect for Fifa members who, he said, had been under unacceptable and unjustified pressure.

A recent investigation by the BBC's Panorama programme, which was broadcast on Monday, accused three executive committee members of accepting payments and alleged Fifa vice-president Jack Warner attempted to supply ticket touts.

Russia was selected as 2018 host ahead of co-bidders Spain-Portugal, Holland-Belgium and England. Qatar won the 2022 bid.

Russia received nine votes in the first round of voting and an outright majority of 13 in the second round.

Mr Putin said the decisiveness of Russia's victory in two rounds had been "absolutely unexpected".

"We are honoured to win in this tough and fair fight," he said.

"From the bottom of my heart, thank you."

Mr Putin said that in Russia, football "brings a spark into the lives of people young and old".

He recalled the siege of Leningrad by the Nazis in World War II, saying football matches were played even then despite harsh living conditions and the lack of food and heating.

The Russian prime minister had been expected to be a prominent figurehead for the Russian bid in the final days of campaigning but instead he remained in Moscow, leading to speculation that Russia's bid was likely to fail.

But Mr Putin explained that his absence was prompted by the corruption allegations against Fifa executive members.

"I did this out of respect," he said. "There was unacceptable campaigning that was deployed for the World Cup in 2018."

"People were accused of corruption. There were accused without any grounds, without any reasons, no justifications."

The Russian leader's presence in Guatemala in 2007 for the announcement of the venue for the 2014 Winter Olympics is thought to have been a key factor in choosing the Russian city of Sochi.

Mr Putin's promise to scrap visas for people in possession of tickets for the competition was seen as crucial to his country's prospects of winning the vote, as nationals of almost all countries outside the former Soviet Union must obtain permission to visit Russia.

There had been concerns that Russia's vast size, its remoteness from other countries and what is seen as a relatively weak transport system could make travelling around the country problematic.

All the host cities are in the European region of the country and Mr Putin has promised that fans will be able to travel on public transport for free during the event.

The US bid could not have won under any circumstances - and no, it has nothing to do with WikiLeaks, so you can forget injecting *them* into the thread.

thanks tips, i'll remember that (Y)

Those that have hosted before (and the US did in 1994) are under an automatic disadvantage under the FIFA bid-acceptance structure (the same actually SHOULD be true under the IOC bid-acceptance structure, but is not).

The other issue (and this is pretty much unique to FIFA) is that there is a preference that the *capital* of the host nation host the last sixteen matches (knockout round, etc.). While RFK Stadium didn't make a bad host in 1994 (and FedEx Field would be much better due to a much larger capacity), other major cities in the US (especially the California cities with major Hispanic populations, such as Los Angeles and San Diego) would protest an East Coast-centered (let alone Washington, DC-centered) FIFA bid - the surprise is that we won the 1994 bid despite it!

you know this how? their are 30 state of the art NFL stadiums in the states, all capable of hosting a soccer game no problem. The infrastructure is set, already done, pretty much perfect because of that, not to mention hospitality facilities area also already in place and no one says you have to host them in the capital... the last one were all in cali, remember? So that point you made is completely mute. If you don't want it at fed ex field, how about philly's new one (veteran?) or the new one the giants/jets just finished? not to mention seattle would be an AWESOME place to host a soccer game because of that atmosphere that stadium creates (that stadium was engineered to be one of the loudest in the world for it's size... and it is).

qatar is a dumb place to host it, no matter how you put it. it's fifa stupid pipe dream.

this

and it's pretty much not an opinion at this point, it's common knowledge

I know but this is the web so just put "in my opinion" incase some people want to go weird as they do.

If we are saying the UK media lost us the bid, then we'll have to be question the integrity of FIFA. ?If we say the media lost us the bid than FIFA are a bunch of girls who are unprofessional and have no integrity.?

The fact they were reminded before the meeting of the media clearly states FIFA are a bunch of old farts who don't like criticism.

Remind me again why FIFA have the monopoly of running football? ?I suggest Europe and other countries set up a competing body and stuff the world cup. ?

The decision to host the WC in Russia was a political one first and foremost: to speed up Russia's integration with the West.

Consequently, it was also an economical decision. The fact that Russia currently lacks the infrastructure, as strange as it may sound, actually helped Russia win the bid. It's was a business decision; let me explain it by giving a comparison with England. There, all the infrastructure, the hotels, the stadiums, and the transportation networks are already there. Hence, the UK's bid was a mere 10 million pounds commitment - that's the money that would be mostly spend on marketing and the PR because everything has already been built. You can't make much money from this. The stadiums have already "returned the investments" and somebody has already profited from that.

Russia's commitment is at the bare minimum $10 billion and will likely be raised to $30-50 billion. There will be lot's of money to be made, lot's of opportunities for the foreign subcontractors, especially the German ones. The preparations for the WC will give Russia the boost it needs to upgrade and modernize.

As for Qatar, it was also about politics: their bid focused primarily on the notion that sport will help bring piece to this region.

And lastly, it was about FIFA tapping into the new markets. This organization is primarily interested in the popularity of football in various regions and it profits from this. And since the football is already a highly popular and developed sport in England, FIFA has decided to expand its reach elsewhere.

p.s. England, of course, could commit much more funds, but the taxpayers wouldn't welcome this in a time when the country is in debt.

Like the usa, n'gland is gonna be hated for decades because of the mass murder of iraqis and afghanis, this alone disqualifies, n'gland from the hosting of any global sporting series for as long as people remeber the attrocities of of two wars against defenceless countries.

For example, did germany or japan successfully apply to host anything sportingly big in the late forties and fifties?

England and USA have to kiss the arses of the rest of the world until the haemaroids are soothed, and that may take a long time...

I dont think cricket and american football count as proper world series.

Now that Qatar's won the right to host the 2022 World Cup finals, we can look forward to seeing these futuristic-bling-happy stadium designs brought to life. The other-worldly, curvaceous structures have the "grounded mothership" aesthetic down pat.

The stadiums were designed by Albert Speer & Partner, GmbH, and they represent a huge leap forward in energy-efficiency as well as looking like an alien invasion in progress. The five stadiums will use solar energy to power air-conditioning systems that will keep fans and players cool during the games, in the midst of the Middle Eastern summer.

906180843t.jpg543433765t.jpg568903052t.jpg213248760t.jpg947984973t.jpg439508556t.jpg798695817t.jpg203391105t.jpg321453398t.jpg739788720t.jpg304540610t.jpg155166636t.jpg133309898t.jpg530744619t.jpg

I'm thrilled the US didn't get awarded the World Cup. This is not a football (soccer) country and never will be. We just don't care that much.

just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it's not getting bigger and others don't (Y)

The English and Spanish-language telecasts of the 2006 FIFA World Cup Final combined to attract an estimated 16.9 million American viewers, comparable to the average viewership of the 2005 World Series.[10] Interestingly, Univision paid more than three times as much for the Spanish-language television rights for the 2010 and 2014 FIFA World Cups as ABC paid for the English-language rights to the same competitions.[11] In 2007, the CONCACAF Gold Cup attracted record television viewership, and in the case of one particular group stage match, it was the most-watched primetime program on any network that night among 18-49 males. The Univision telecast of the final between the United States and Mexico was the third-most watched Spanish-language program of all-time in the United States, beaten only by two FIFA World Cup finals matches.
The 2009 CONCACAF Gold Cup quarterfinal matches drew over 82,000 to Cowboys Stadium. In addition, the 2010 UEFA Champions League final was broadcast live on the Fox Network, marking the first time in history that a match between two European club soccer teams was televised on American English-language broadcast television.
Landon Donovan's dramatic game winning goal against Algeria that advanced the US team to the knockout stage of the 2010 World Cup resulted in jubilant celebrations across the United States and may lead to increased popularity of soccer in the nation.[16] Also the 2010 World Cup final game between Spain and the Netherlands drew 24 million people in the United States for viewership.[17] More recently, the US played Brazil in East Rutherford, NJ with 77,000 fans in attendance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soccer_in_the_United_States#Popularity_of_soccer_in_the_United_States

The American Youth Soccer Organization (AYSO) was established in the Los Angeles area in 1964 with nine teams. It was the dream of a group of devoted soccer enthusiasts who started the organization in a garage. Today, AYSO has more than 50,000 teams and more than 650,000 players. It also employs 50 people at its National Support & Training Center in Hawthorne, California.

http://www.soccer.org/AboutAYSO.aspx

this would have only grown the sport even more.

you and fifa don't know what you are talking about.

Russia I'm happy for, Qatar is a joke, such a stupid place for a World Cup (the bringing together of many beliefs/cultures/people) unless they change their ways of thinking.

solid. now gay people have to hide who they are because they are in a muslim country. good job fifa.

Football isn't about sexuality, it's about football. It's highly unlikely I'll be going to the 2022 World Cup - that kinda heat would kill me (I'm currently the only person in Britain, happy about the weather, I think), but IF I went, I'm going to support England, not push any 'kind agenda'. The way this has been pounced on, by 'Gay Rights' groups, is absurd. People seem to think that homophobia - either in football itself, or in the wider world, is somehow only limited to the middle east?

I got called an 'AIDS ravaged f-a-g this morning. In Wolverhaptom. I'm also a former Villa season ticket holder, and have beeen called much worse, by away fans. The reason gay footballers, are reluctant to come out, is because in society, it's still an insult to call someone gay, yet alone a f-a-g. I'm not saying Qatar is gonna be an 'open and inviting' venue for a world cup, but do FIFA think Russia is any worse. Google Russia + Gay Pride, and check the news.

I dunno - I guess I'm in a bad mood from earlier on, but this seems like a group of people, who are already of the opinion that football is homophobic, have had Christmas come early, in terms of ramping up the reteric.

Football isn't about sexuality, it's about football. It's highly unlikely I'll be going to the 2022 World Cup - that kinda heat would kill me (I'm currently the only person in Britain, happy about the weather, I think), but IF I went, I'm going to support England, not push any 'kind agenda'. The way this has been pounced on, by 'Gay Rights' groups, is absurd. People seem to think that homophobia - either in football itself, or in the wider world, is somehow only limited to the middle east?

I got called an 'AIDS ravaged f-a-g this morning. In Wolverhaptom. I'm also a former Villa season ticket holder, and have beeen called much worse, by away fans. The reason gay footballers, are reluctant to come out, is because in society, it's still an insult to call someone gay, yet alone a f-a-g. I'm not saying Qatar is gonna be an 'open and inviting' venue for a world cup, but do FIFA think Russia is any worse. Google Russia + Gay Pride, and check the news.

I dunno - I guess I'm in a bad mood from earlier on, but this seems like a group of people, who are already of the opinion that football is homophobic, have had Christmas come early, in terms of ramping up the reteric.

quick question. what do you think is safer? being a man holding another mans hand on the street in russia or in a muslim country?

quick question. what do you think is safer? being a man holding another mans hand on the street in russia or in a muslim country?

Having never travelled to either country, I couldn't say for certain. IF, I had to make an assumption, I'd say it'd be safer in Russia. In so much as you might only get your head kicked in. Having very nearly been'gay bashed' for want of a woeful phase, in Birmingham, and seeing as I had an ex-partner who WAS mugged and beat-up, coming out a gay club - I guess the point I was trying to make, is that I could make an argument, had the 2018 world cup bid gone our way, that none of the matches should take place at Villa Park.

If you want anything more coherent, y'all have to wait until tomorrow - 'tis late in the land of the UK.