Ricky Gervais - Why I'm an Atheist

Well a lot of people probably ask him on a daily basis how he is feeling. Yet he wont go in front of a massive audience to explain how he was feeling on each day. And the same principles could be applied to a lot of questions that he is repeatedly asked. Just because he is asked a question constantly does not constitute a massive rant about something he claims he does not believe in nor care about. As him discussing the matter in great detail shows he does care about the subject matter.

If he literally does not care about God and does not believe in God then why go on about the subject?

You are either atheist or you are not, most people understand the definition of the word and if they do not then thats where a dictionary serves its purpose.

That is where I find the irony in this whole thing.

A dictionary won't tell you why someone is atheist. Hence why he wrote.

*why*

A dictionary won't tell you why someone is atheist. Hence why he wrote.

*why*

Sorry I think you missed my point entirely. I was stating that it's ironic that he uses so much of his energy to write "why" he doesn't believe in something and "why" he doesn't care about something. It sort of defeats the purpose really. I was using the reference to the dictionary merely to explain that there is no use for him to rant as he does not believe in God and there is no use for him to explain what an Atheist is as dictionaries exist or we already know the definition :)

Wow, very good article. This is perhaps my favourite quote from it:

So next time someone tells me they believe in God, I?ll say ?Oh which one? Zeus? Hades? Jupiter? Mars? Odin? Thor? Krishna? Vishnu? Ra??? If they say ?Just God. I only believe in the one God?, I?ll point out that they are nearly as atheistic as me. I don?t believe in 2,870 gods, and they don?t believe in 2,869.

It's a shame his 2009 movie was nothing more than a political statement trashing Christianity rather than the comedy it was portrayed as in the previews.

He'll never get another dime from me.

It's not his fault that Christians are more interested in playing the persecution card than getting themselves a sense of humour. I found the movie not only seriously funny, but a great piece of satire about the ludicrousness of what Christianity actually teaches.

Sorry I think you missed my point entirely. I was stating that it's ironic that he uses so much of his energy to write "why" he doesn't believe in something and "why" he doesn't care about something. It sort of defeats the purpose really. I was using the reference to the dictionary merely to explain that there is no use for him to rant as he does not believe in God and there is no use for him to explain what an Atheist is as dictionaries exist or we already know the definition :)

the reason that he cares about christianity is because , like all of us, he has to deal with christians

It's not his fault that Christians are more interested in playing the persecution card than getting themselves a sense of humour. I found the movie not only seriously funny, but a great piece of satire about the ludicrousness of what Christianity actually teaches.

If that's what he wishes to portray that's fine, I have no problem with that. Everyone's entitled to their own opinions. But that's not how the movie was pitched, the previews were very carefully edited to prevent anyone from knowing it's intent. But no matter, it didn't even break even here in the US. That speaks more to his message--once it started hitting the press, than I ever could.

Dear Ricky, No one other than you gives a rats ***. Have a good day... sleeping.gif

God-fearing 'merkin? Thought so.

The only reason you became a subscriber on neowin was so you could get a little crucifix in front of your name, right?

the reason that he cares about christianity is because , like all of us, he has to deal with christians

Wth does that mean? Is that akin to dealing with the mafia or drug cartels in Mexico?

Wth does that mean? Is that akin to dealing with the mafia or drug cartels in Mexico?

I wouldn't be surprised if they were related. I mean, if we actually decriminalized drug "crime", solved poverty and ended world hunger then religion would lose its biggest recruiting device. :)