the catalyst control center is not supported by the driver version of

help!

recieved my new Hd 6870 this moring, but having problems installing the drivers, i get the message in the title. tried both the latest 10.12 from ati, andthe sapphire drivers that came with the card!!

any ideas?

Thanks

10.12 drivers work for me. I'd recommend going here and downloading Catalyst 10.12 with the new CCC. If you still get the message you could extract the CCC package to the ATI folder as usual then manually find the driver via Device Manager or simply try the individual downloads found here and just grab the driver. ATI Tray Tools or something similar can give you all the features of CCC without the bloat.

is it possible to not install ccc with amd drivers? if so don't install ccc and install riva tuner instead. i've seen so many issues in games that the fix was to uninstall ccc it's just phenomenal.

otherwise i hear 10.11 or umm what was the other one? 10.10a or something? is a lot less buggy than 10.12. according to amd users in teh 10.12 release thread here on neowin.

GL

had a similar issue when moving from the 5750 to the 6870...have you done the usual driver ritual? aside from saying a little prayer, it involves uninstalling the previous driver version with the installer file it came in (the driver version you downloaded, best left on your desktop if you ask me). reboot. run CCleaner "tools" section and remove anything to do with ATI. reboot. go to safe mode. run driver sweep and remove anything to do with ATI. reboot. run CCleaner again just to make sure. reboot. download the new driver version from the AMD site and install it. you can actually download the new driver before the ritual and just have it on your desktop. that doesn't matter obviously, the rest of the steps are important.

sorry if you know all this and have done it...i'm not trying to patronize you or anything, but it's the only thing i could think of. i had an issue with the driver working fine but CCC refusing to open, i think it started with 10.11 on the 5750. moving to the 6870 had the same problem initially, but now the current version (10.12, is it?) seems to be working fine knock on wood.

I seemed to get this every time I updated the drivers from version 9.8 through to 10.11 or something daft like that. They just couldn't fix it. 10.12 didn't present the error, for once, to a mighty relief. There's nothing more annoying than faffing about with device manager and rebooting and reinstalling hardware and drivers and hoping it works properly.

tried the old driver sweeper in safe mode, removed all traces of ati, then tried resintalling. same errors. device manager reports i have a "standard vga graphics adapter" strange!!

any other ideas?

The usual routine was to uninstall all ATI software, go to device manager and uninstall the graphics card, reboot and let windows install standard drivers, then go into device manager and manually update the driver via the .inf file that came with the latest package.

Then install CCC again and it will work (50/50, honest)

The usual routine was to uninstall all ATI software, go to device manager and uninstall the graphics card, reboot and let windows install standard drivers, then go into device manager and manually update the driver via the .inf file that came with the latest package.

Then install CCC again and it will work (50/50, honest)

Hi wakers, that worked, thanks. however when i then reinstall the CCC the normal way, it dont mention the version of "driver" installed, and thus that its "uptodate" or otherwise. it is however installed via your method. but just find it strange that it doesnt list it when i do a custom install.

another thing i noticed is that i dont seem to be able to set my refresh rate to anything over 60HZ, at any rez. i have alawys been able to set it to a max of 85 at 1600x1200

any ideas?

lcd monitors in north america have a refresh rate of 60hz. in europe it is 75hz. older CRT monitors in north america had a refresh rate of 85hz. you cannot set a lcd monitor to anything other than 60hz.

tv's may be different.

lcd monitors in north america have a refresh rate of 60hz. in europe it is 75hz. older CRT monitors in north america had a refresh rate of 85hz. you cannot set a lcd monitor to anything other than 60hz.

tv's may be different.

Never said it was a lcd, mate. its a CRT, which is capable of 85Hz at 1600x1200. but for some reason, CCC aint letting me change it

it causes text corruption in a huge fraction of games. among other minor issues.

edit: aside from teh topic of this thread... :whistle:

The last game I saw text corruption in was a random free MMO (Runes of Magic I think..) and all I had to do was turn texture settings up to the max in the driver (for some reason, certain games text is affected by CCC texture/mipmap settings). I have never seen a problem in a game that was only resolved by removing CCC, and despite mentioning that before I don't think you ever posted any proof beyond "It happens in lots of MMOs and it's all over the forums for them", yet you never seemed to post any links back then of these forums.

Anyway, don't want to start an argument. You and I have done enough of that over ATI Drivers (in my own personal experience ATI Drivers > nVidia, and based on what you have presumably read, ATI drivers are still crap), but I have never seen an issue that's only resolved by removing CCC, but feel free to prove me wrong, I'm willing to admit I was wrong if you're willing to post proof.

As for the OP, as others have said, you can always run just the driver without CCC. You will have limited control options unless you install other driver management software (ATI Tray Tools for example), hopefully your problem will be fixed with 11.1, but not using CCC for a month shouldn't really affect your cards performance in any way.

i see it in every single game i play nagisan.

Then something is wrong with your system. I play tons of MMOs and various other games and the last game I saw text corruption in was Runes of Magic which I played about 4 months ago, the fix was simply increasing the driver mipmap settings....

Name a few of them that you see it in if you don't mind, I would love to see if I can repeat the results, but unless we have been playing entirely different games for the last few years or so, I doubt there is a single one of them that has the issue simply because CCC is installed. I mean hell, I know we both played Vindictus, I didn't have any issues with the text in that game, did you? If so it's probably your system, not CCC.

Then something is wrong with your system. I play tons of MMOs and various other games and the last game I saw text corruption in was Runes of Magic which I played about 4 months ago, the fix was simply increasing the driver mipmap settings....

Name a few of them that you see it in if you don't mind, I would love to see if I can repeat the results, but unless we have been playing entirely different games for the last few years or so, I doubt there is a single one of them that has the issue simply because CCC is installed. I mean hell, I know we both played Vindictus, I didn't have any issues with the text in that game, did you? If so it's probably your system, not CCC.

it's not MY system, it's on tech sections of games i play. it's a very common issue.

aion

sto

aoc

warhammer

sword of the new world

exteel

etc etc. just to name a few of the top of my head.

it's not MY system, it's on tech sections of games i play. it's a very common issue.

Well then don't say "I see it in every game I play.", since you didn't see it on your own system, you've only ever read about it happening.

aion

sto

aoc

warhammer

sword of the new world

exteel

I've played Aion, AoC, Warhammer, SotNW, Exteel and many others, all on ATI systems, and I never had any text corruption in any of them, I find it hard to believe that you have examples of text corruption in all of them that was only solved by removing CCC.

Well then don't say "I see it in every game I play.", since you didn't see it on your own system, you've only ever read about it happening.

I've played Aion, AoC, Warhammer, SotNW, Exteel and many others, all on ATI systems, and I never had any text corruption in any of them, I find it hard to believe that you have examples of text corruption in all of them that was only solved by removing CCC.

Not sure about his case, but with me, I definitely have problems with Aion.

I just took these screen shots -

With CCC Anti Aliasing and Anisotropic Filter set to "Use Application Settings"

aion0120y.jpg

With custom settings in CCC -

aion0121ur.jpg

I've never needed to uninstall Catalyst, though. I just make it use application settings for all the games that it screws the text up with.

It's possible that a BIOS flash Update could resolve the problem.

Also, a Chipset Update could help.

Only you know if your motherboard is up-to-date.

Just a suggestion ...

aion

sto

aoc

warhammer

sword of the new world

exteel

I have played aion aoc warhammer and sword of the new world on a HD 3850(AGP) HD 4850(PCI-E) and on my new build with a Crossfire HD 5850(PCI-E 2gb) with no problems what so ever.

Not sure about his case, but with me, I definitely have problems with Aion.

I just took these screen shots -

<snip>

I've never needed to uninstall Catalyst, though. I just make it use application settings for all the games that it screws the text up with.

I'm not saying these problems cannot happen, I'm saying I have only ever seen them personally in a few games, and I have never seen a case of it where uninstalling CCC was the only solution, like you pointed out, most of the time if anything it is a custom setting in CCC which causes it, and changing that setting alone is normally enough to fix it.

do you post on the tech sections for games you play nagisan? because this is where i see this problem/solution. kondrath's screenshot shows a mild case of it in aion, but we get people asking about it in bursts of 2-3 threads on AS and the solution is always the same from the 3 or 4 people that post there.

at least before AS died.

no it doesn't happen to EVERYONE obviously, but it DOES happen, and frequently. just because YOU haven't seen it happen, doesn't mean it doesn't happen. you should know better.