Windows 8 Milestone 2 compiled

so , they would churn out another 60 something builds build till then ?

if that so , we won't hear anything untail winHEC '11 or/and PDC '11 as beta quality (even that events are scheduled)

Not for me, any build are welcome!

If this post is true, then apparently the build Microsoft showed at CES 2011 is an old one since it is Build 7867. I wouldn't be surprised since it's probably more stable than the cutting edge builds.

windows-8-build-7867-pre-release.jpg

If this post is true, then apparently the build Microsoft showed at CES 2011 is an old one since it is Build 7867. I wouldn't be surprised since it's probably more stable than the cutting edge builds.

windows-8-build-7867-pre-release.jpg

Maybe with UI bits all over the place too. They're definitely trying to keep anything other than ARM compatibility under wraps for now. At least until a newer build leaks. :p

Coming from someone who knows about how the builds work. Tsk Tsk Tsk. LoL

I was just making fun of it LOL......

I know this probably doesn't mean anything (User Agent Strings can be spoofed), but there have been multiple sightings of Internet Explorer 9 on Windows NT 6.2 in the wild. Keep an eye out for "Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.2; Trident/5.0)" and "Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.2; WOW64; Trident/5.0)" or similar NT 6.2 strings in the coming days/weeks.

Maybe with UI bits all over the place too. They're definitely trying to keep anything other than ARM compatibility under wraps for now. At least until a newer build leaks. :p

Good point. I hadn't thought of that :). Though the language they used at CES when referring to the build being Windows 8 but with Windows 7 UI gives me a hint that they have something big planned for the UI. Also any indication of Microsoft having yet another PDC again this year?

• 2 weeks later...

That's interesting because Windows 8 is mean't to be a major release while Windows 7 wasn't. It's too early to say that they won't bump up the version numbering because they could.

Other way around buddy :) Windows Vista was the major release and 7 was a .X release. Windows 8 is supposed to be another big release and i'm definitely excited for that!

Other way around buddy :) Windows Vista was the major release and 7 was a .X release. Windows 8 is supposed to be another big release and i'm definitely excited for that!

All because of a misplaced apostrophe in his comment. He said what you said :)

Classic Theme for example.

I don't have a problem with the Classic Theme. I know people have said it can make their computer run more smoothly when playing games - whether that aspect is true or not, I don't know. I'm not much of a PC gamer, but the Classic theme is something I don't mind having on my machine. When I messed up my Vista install for a while as I attempted to install a visual style for the first time (I did a terrible, terrible job), I switched to the Classic theme until I could work out a method of returning it to default. That is one of the occasions I can say I was glad for the Classic theme being present on my machine. Personally, I'd like to see Microsoft embracing visual styles more with Windows 8. I know that it is highly, highly unlikely, but I'd love it if they provided us with a simplified install process and features to make theming our OS even more straightforward. Browsers such as Chrome, Opera, and Firefox are all successful, and have a community behind them who simply enjoy creating themes for the browsers. If that can work for an open-source program, why not Windows? It might not be open-source, but even if they provided an optional client for downloading themes or something from a 'Windows Marketplace' or something, it could work out. Companies could probably profit from it as well, offering themes related to their brands for a sum. I can't see them being popular themes, but even so, it could be tried.

I wouldn't be surprised if the following happened

Midway through the beta they come up with a decent security scheme for the kernel and bump the build number to 6.5.xxxx. Also why don't they just empty out windows media player and let the user decide what they'd like to install like they did with windows messenger. Furthermore, they should focus a little more on optimizing for SSD drives as they are starting to become widespread somewhat. Lastly, they need to make the entire operating system touch friendly period.

MS needs to clean legacy crap from Windows.

I hope/wish that they move the legacy stuff to an app store, where the OS can download it as needed. All of my printers are USB printers and I haven't had to download a driver in forever.

Classic Theme for example.

Classic it's just the standard UI without a theme on top of it. It's like Windows with themes turned off, so to speak.

I agree with the idea of taking legacy code out though. Yes, old apps wouldn't work, but that's why you have virtualization which is now more accessible than ever. There's no longer the need to make sure every 15-year-old apps can run natively.

Classic it's just the standard UI without a theme on top of it. It's like Windows with themes turned off, so to speak.

Yeah but you don't see Mac OS X reverting back to Platinum or whatever either.

I'm still baffled by the fact that sometimes Windows Aero is just being disabled. You'll never see something like that happen on Mac OS X.

I'm still baffled by the fact that sometimes Windows Aero is just being disabled. You'll never see something like that happen on Mac OS X.

Maybe because OS X is different from Windows? What are you talking about " Aero is just being disabled"? If the PC can't run it then that is a given.

You never see that sort of thing happening in Mac OS because it handles its UI completely different to windows.

For Windows to work like that they would need to re write their theming engine.

Part of the reason you need to be able to disable aero is because when you are using a full screen app (like a game) it still takes up

gpu cycles in the background. It works the way it does so it can be turned off when its needed.

OS X on the other hand requires a restart to turn off QE. Imagine the uproar if windows gamers had to restart their computers ever time they wanted

to get the best performance out of a game.