I actually have been playing the SP campaign since Thursday, I was at my in-laws and my brother in law who owns the game on the PC said I really should check it out, that it got better as time goes on (I had started it but then stopped), and you know what, he was absolutely right. The SP is actually pretty damn good. Really not sure why there is so much hate for it. Again, just as the MP, it is a completely different game than COD, and if you are going to compare the two, well there is no comparison, as it is two very different approaches. There is no denying It is not breaking any ground, in fact far from it. It is a traditional linear First Person Shooter that one has to be slow and methodical with. It actually is a nod to games like the older Medal Of Honors, and in fact, the original COD games. Run-N-Gun = Instant Death. Perhaps that is why so many hate it. But when you step back and play it the way it is meant to be played, it is actually very solid indeed. And even though the vehicle sections are predominately on rails, they are still fun to play. I am actually now going to finish the campaign, glad I decided to give it another chance.

• Like 1

I actually have been playing the SP campaign since Thursday, I was at my in-laws and my brother in law who owns the game on the PC said I really should check it out, that it got better as time goes on (I had started it but then stopped), and you know what, he was absolutely right. The SP is actually pretty damn good. Really not sure why there is so much hate for it. Again, just as the MP, it is a completely different game than COD, and if you are going to compare the two, well there is no comparison, as it is two very different approaches. There is no denying It is not breaking any ground, in fact far from it. It is a traditional linear First Person Shooter that one has to be slow and methodical with. It actually is a nod to games like the older Medal Of Honors, and in fact, the original COD games. Run-N-Gun = Instant Death. Perhaps that is why so many hate it. But when you step back and play it the way it is meant to be played, it is actually very solid indeed. And even though the vehicle sections are predominately on rails, they are still fun to play. I am actually now going to finish the campaign, glad I decided to give it another chance.

Larry I listened to the podcast earlier and as you're a BF guy, what class do you think I should start out as to learn the maps better? Engineer? Spent a decent amount of hours trying to get better at MW3, but it's too fast paced for me. I was pretty decent at Bad Company 2, but the couple of hours I've put into BF3 was full of dieing :p

Larry I listened to the podcast earlier and as you're a BF guy, what class do you think I should start out as to learn the maps better? Engineer? Spent a decent amount of hours trying to get better at MW3, but it's too fast paced for me. I was pretty decent at Bad Company 2, but the couple of hours I've put into BF3 was full of dieing :p

assault all the way to start with

Honestly class is not as important to me as just suggesting to join up in any squad that you can, so you get used to really changing your spawn points and thinking strategically about not only when to spawn, but perhaps changing up your class to accommodate a specific situation that has arisen.

With that said, if I had to recommend a class, it would be Assault/Medic probably, as IMO they are pretty much the all around class so to speak, and dropping med-kits and also eventually getting the defibrillator. Just know when to revive fallen teammates, do not automatically go to revive them just because they are down. Make sure the coast is clear, etc. If you go engineer, than take vehicles to get around, and quickly familiarize yourself with how to switch the seats on the vehicle quickly if you are driving on your own. Not sure what platform you are on, but on PC Seat 1 = F1, Seat 2 = F2, so on and so forth.

The last bit of advice I can give, slow and steady wins the race. Even if it is fast paced frantic action happening all around you, just move slow and with purpose. It is a game that indeed takes playing to get used to, it is no doubt why people are put off to it, but just sit back and relax is the overall best advice I can give. The adrenaline filled moments still come even when you do that, and they are that much more enjoyable.

Honestly class is not as important to me as just suggesting to join up in any squad that you can, so you get used to really changing your spawn points and thinking strategically about not only when to spawn, but perhaps changing up your class to accommodate a specific situation that has arisen.

With that said, if I had to recommend a class, it would be Assault/Medic probably, as IMO they are pretty much the all around class so to speak, and dropping med-kits and also eventually getting the defibrillator. Just know when to revive fallen teammates, do not automatically go to revive them just because they are down. Make sure the coast is clear, etc. If you go engineer, than take vehicles to get around, and quickly familiarize yourself with how to switch the seats on the vehicle quickly if you are driving on your own. Not sure what platform you are on, but on PC Seat 1 = F1, Seat 2 = F2, so on and so forth.

The last bit of advice I can give, slow and steady wins the race. Even if it is fast paced frantic action happening all around you, just move slow and with purpose. It is a game that indeed takes playing to get used to, it is no doubt why people are put off to it, but just sit back and relax is the overall best advice I can give. The adrenaline filled moments still come even when you do that, and they are that much more enjoyable.

Thanks I'm going to focus on assult/medic to start off with, at least until I learn the maps. I'm playing on PS3, my PC is aging a bit now, just using it as an HTPC - Hooked up to the TV with a 15m HDMI-DVI cable, and I'm running an optical cable from my ASUS Zonar DX to my sound system. Not needing to use the PS3 for media as much now! Although using the PS3 is a bit simpler and easier to do (reading text on the TV from the PC signal from where I sit is near impossible at 1920x1080).

Thanks I'm going to focus on assult/medic to start off with, at least until I learn the maps. I'm playing on PS3, my PC is aging a bit now, just using it as an HTPC - Hooked up to the TV with a 15m HDMI-DVI cable, and I'm running an optical cable from my ASUS Zonar DX to my sound system. Not needing to use the PS3 for media as much now! Although using the PS3 is a bit simpler and easier to do (reading text on the TV from the PC signal from where I sit is near impossible at 1920x1080).

Nice, that is definitely a good move on Assault/Medic. And I suggest trying all the things I said, but the most important thing I said is the whole joining of a squad. It helps tremendously in getting a feel for the flow of the game. I literally always squad up no matter what, and 90% of the time I play lone wolf. I squad up first and foremost just for the simple reason of having more spawn options available. Then I also do it for those times, which is more often than not fortunately, that I get on a squad that is willing to play the game as it is meant to be played. A good squad really is a big part of the game itself. That is my one and only beef as the series has progressed, and that is the entire squad/team dynamics have been seriously toned down. They have indeed made it more accessible, but they have also dumb downed the game as a result. It is what it is though. But prime example, In BF2 there was also the role of a commander, 1 player which communicated with the squad leaders of each squad, and was able to do things like ammo drops. It made the game even more about solid teamwork.

And nice, sounds like a sweet set up. (Y)I have been tempted several times to hook my PC up to my TV. The main reason I have not already done so is I have a wife, who I quote, "hates downright ugly computer towers in the living room." :laugh:

Whats the best scope for the SG553. Loving it as my main wepan. Also got the Javelin unlocked now too.

Still unsure about torches/laser sites. They just seem to be naff as unless you hot key them its a pain to turn on and off constantly to avoid giving away your position.

Whats the best scope for the SG553. Loving it as my main wepan. Also got the Javelin unlocked now too.

Still unsure about torches/laser sites. They just seem to be naff as unless you hot key them its a pain to turn on and off constantly to avoid giving away your position.

IRNV. It's probably the easiest sight in the entire game to use, so I can't see how it wouldn't apply to the SG. :p

Personally I like the Holographic Sight on anything and everything though because it's a nice open view.

Scopes are all garbage baring the IRNV. But I prefer the holo or red dot sight, as far as sights go. Every gun I use will have a grip, silencer, and holo sight, just about every time. Plus the carbines all have really bad bullet drop so using a scope on them is pretty much pointless. If you want to fight people at long range you should be playing recon.

Yeah the RDS adn HOLO are my favourites for most weapons if I'm not using the IRNV

Though the 3.4x scope is also quite good on things like the M16A4 or any burst weapon...bit to much recoil on full-auto (but its like the last unlock for most and take a while to get)

also @audioboxer assault will be a good place to start as you can heal yourself if you get injured...though if its a heavy vehicle map maybe get out engineer for a bit to try taking down vehicles...

As Larry said Join Squads, and check your corners!

I used to spend far to much time sprinting and just running head 1st into enemies...slow it down walk unless you know for sure its clear.

Finally don't forget lead and drop, and burst your fully auto weapons if your shooting someone at a distance.

has anyone on xbox taken notice to lag? last night and tonight seem bad. doesn't happen with anything else.

I might get the odd bit of lag maybe once a night if that, I put it down to somene with a bad connection joining the server, or my BB having a funning few secs...as much as my 15mb down is plenty, I only have 1mb up which probs causes a few issues, epically if me and my 2 housemates are gaming as well...

Whats your connection speeds?

Also I try and stick with EU servers only...maybe you should try just using East Coast ones... might help if your currently using global servers.

It's pretty frustrating when you're trying to have a good server and you're constantly being put in the team in which there's no team play. It's been happening to me constantly today :s

It's pretty frustrating when you're trying to have a good server and you're constantly being put in the team in which there's no team play. It's been happening to me constantly today :s

Same here actually :( . I'd had a great week that almost repaired the shattered remains of my W/L ratio, but came on today, and I've been getting nuked on every map I've played. Playing conquest, I've seen most rounds go to 5-0 points held, and I've been on the losing team almost every time, and it's because people just ran off to do their own thing, instead of working as a squad should. I just wish these people wouldn't join squads so that those of us who actually want to play in a team can. I will purposely leave a squad if I'm going to do something like snipe from the hill in Firestorm so that I'm not taking a squad slot that would be better served to someone else.

Picked up the game Friday for $28 and I am enjoying the game. One thing I noticed is that the graphics in single player seem way better than they do in multiplayer, has anyone else noticed this? I love flying the A-10 Warthog by far the coolest plane :p The sounds are amazing and cranking it up on a 6.1 Bose Sound System is amazing! :D

Same here actually :( . I'd had a great week that almost repaired the shattered remains of my W/L ratio, but came on today, and I've been getting nuked on every map I've played. Playing conquest, I've seen most rounds go to 5-0 points held, and I've been on the losing team almost every time, and it's because people just ran off to do their own thing, instead of working as a squad should. I just wish these people wouldn't join squads so that those of us who actually want to play in a team can. I will purposely leave a squad if I'm going to do something like snipe from the hill in Firestorm so that I'm not taking a squad slot that would be better served to someone else.

I've had this with Rush this weekend. My team either camped when they needed to attack, had too many recons, or failed to defend the mcoms. There was even a round where the attackers took both points at the same second and no one cared to defend nor defuse. I was also the only one who used smoke grenades in 1 round. So I told my team to smoke the mcoms. So then there where 2 guys smoking the mcoms. We've won the first 2 mcoms because of that, but it went downhill after it unfortunately.

Also, I hope they're going to force people into squads again. It's quite annoying when you join a server and more then half of the team aren't in squads. Specially when the existing squads are locked.

Though it's probably still a learning process for some players who haven't played BF before. But it's really frustrating when you only join teams who won't play as a team. Here's hoping that tomorrow will be better :p

@NoLiMiT06: Not sure if that is true.

Also, I hope they're going to force people into squads again. It's quite annoying when you join a server and more then half of the team aren't in squads. Specially when the existing squads are locked.

Though it's probably still a learning process for some players who haven't played BF before. But it's really frustrating when you only join teams who won't play as a team. Here's hoping that tomorrow will be better :p

I sort of like not being in a squad at the start, but I think it would be better if it was more obvious that you should select a squad. Having a 2-stage setup when you log onto the server would be nice (first choose a squad, and then choose your weapons and spawn).

... And while they're doing that, they should fix it so that it doesn't automatically spawn you back at base when you click deploy just as your spawn point get's neutralized in CQ. :angry:

Anyone wonder why, as a Russian soldier when you revive someone your guy yells "Fry you ******!"?

Also has anyone else gone to join a multiplayer game and instead battlelog loads the single player? Happened a few times to me now.

• Like 1

Anyone wonder why, as a Russian soldier when you revive someone your guy yells "Fry you ******!"?

Also has anyone else gone to join a multiplayer game and instead battlelog loads the single player? Happened a few times to me now.

Happened to me a couple times. They're trying to deter people from multiplayer I guess. :p

So decided to mess about with my tanking strategy tonight. I normally roll with Thermal Optics, Canister Shell and Reactive Armour. And to say I own is an understatement. The only things that bother me with this setup are good helicopter pilots and the odd jet should it notice me.

Since I unlocked the CITV Station which is a passive and permanent upgrade to any and all tanks you jump in (the 3rd seat is always available to me). I?ve been dying to test it out with Guided Shell (this would replace Canister Shell in my setup), which can lock onto any target painted by the CITV Station.

So test it out we did (a friend on TS/comms is recommended for this). Caspian Border was the map. And we took down plenty of choppers, jets, tanks, buggies and infantry. The CITV Station can even lock onto MAVs! The way it works is once the targeted is painted with the CITV Station is that my Guided Shell locks onto the laser, meaning flares don?t work at all for the target (I think Smoke and ECM Jammer might counter it instead). It also means that once I fire my Guided Shell, it is fire and forget (once I fire I can switch back to main gun and tank as normal) as long as my friend in the CITV Station maintains a laser lock-on. It even keeps its lock-on for a short period of time behind cover (dips and hills etc). The reload time for the Guided Shell is a bit long, I guess this is to keep it from being OP.

Jets, helicopters and buggies go down in one hit of the Guided Shell. Jets are a bit trickier to get, because while you can paint with the CITV Station and once I?ve locked on with my Guided Shell (less than 0.5sec) they can be out of range of the laser painter.

Tanks get disabled with the first hit of the Guided Shell (from 100% health) ? I think I read somewhere it does a top-down attack which increases the damage, so that makes sense. And if you follow up with a normal tank shot, you?ll destroy it in no time. The fastest I killed a tank was one shot of the Guided Shell and one shot of the normal tank gun.

Down side is infantry ? rocket squads can be a bit more bothersome. Normally my Canister Shell would make mincemeat of them. But this is where communication is key (ie. TeamSpeak/Mumble/Vent) either you or your friend can jump into the gunner seat and take care of them.

It is also worth pointing out that it's probably a good idea if both your-self and friend have the CITV Station unlock. It can be a bit boring constantly locking on, getting kill assists and some measly points. I scored 290 points for taking down a chopper, and my friend got 90 points!

So yeah Guided Shell is definitely worth it on an air vehicle heavy map (I think it may be better suited to Operation Firestorm) and when you have a friend on comms.

So yeah Guided Shell is definitely worth it on an air vehicle heavy map (I think it may be better suited to Operation Firestorm) and when you have a friend on comms.

When do you unlock them?

I sort of like not being in a squad at the start, but I think it would be better if it was more obvious that you should select a squad. Having a 2-stage setup when you log onto the server would be nice (first choose a squad, and then choose your weapons and spawn).

... And while they're doing that, they should fix it so that it doesn't automatically spawn you back at base when you click deploy just as your spawn point get's neutralized in CQ. :angry:

And spawn you in the previous selected spawn point when you choose to spawn in a jet, but the jet is taken by someone else. I rather be in a squad at the start as it instantly gives you a task and better spawn points.

@trag3dy: The soldiers also scream the same things he says when he throws a M320 Grenade Launcher whenever you use the M320 Smoke Launcher.

What also has happened to me is that when I switched from M320 Smoke Launcher to the Grenade Launcher and deployed, it still shot smoke rounds. Until I die and deploy again.