For shame! Finally got some time tonight after dinner to sit down and get MP started - and the updates are taking forever! 2GB should normally take me about 25 minutes or so, its taking that long just to get 1/3 of the way. Hopefully my little one will get to bed easily tonight...

Also, how do platoons work? Are they multi-platform to where you can have friends on any system join? I'm sure I saw in this thread talk about a Neowin platoon a month or so ago but don't know what came of it and there's nothing in the first post of the thread.

Perhaps I was being a bit OTT. In CoD:MW2 they had quick time like events, however the time in which you had to click the mouse or press a key was a lot more relaxed. In BF:3, you really had to be quick and I ended up dying far too much.

The story wasn't bad. I just feel it was quite linear in the sense that you couldn't roam around as much, or you were stuck to scripted events.

The mission where there was a Russian plane attacking you and you team (near the end) and if you were not in the right cover, you'd just die. Maybe it was a bug on my system where the sounds of the plane's bullets hitting the ground didn't go off - That really annoyed me. If a plane was firing it's minigun or whatever, I'd expect to hear the bullets hitting the ground...

Maybe Skyrim has just clouded my views on games..

I don't consider the cues in Modern Warfare 2 to be quick time events. You have a lot of time to react so there's nothing "quick" about it. I agree that the campaign in Battlefield 3 was linear. It felt like you were on a steady course from point A to point B with very little time or room to explore the levels. I felt the same way about the MW2 campaign. Games these days go for a more scripted cinematic experience rather than an open one.

As for the mission you're talking about, it's called 'Rock and a Hard Place' and it's one of the tougher ones. And if you're playing on normal, then the game can be somewhat difficult. It actually feels like hard mode. I consider myself to be quite skilled and I found myself dying a lot. Anyway, the mission is fast-paced towards the end and it's difficult if you're playing it on normal. I think DICE's mistake was making the game more difficult than it should be at normal.

So I just finished the single player. I hope so much they NEVER make a sequel. If there is going to be a sequel, I hope they bring some more original ideas and reinvent the wheel a bit more. It was awful! And the press a key for action sequences were terrible, shameless and crap ripoffs from CoD and felt like they were copied from CoD.

While I agree that some of the elements of the campaign were brought from previous shooters, it was still a pleasent experience, of course not on par with some out there, but still better than DICE' last attempt and MW3

Yes, the campaign in the game is linear, sometimes strictly linear, from point A to point B and almost all of the time you just have to follow the course. You can't even look or stay at a place for sometime.

But isn't this the problem with all the FPS shooters these days?

Modern Warfare initiated this, then the sequels to date, we have also seen Bad Company 2 which had the same kind of gameplay.

Of course there are exceptions, Crysis 2 for example is the best one of this year. If you own the game, you would know.

What I don't seem to understand is why are they making these linear and more importantly short campaigns.

Perfect example of a FPS would be original Crysis. It gave a good 12-14, sometimes 15 hours of engaging, beautiful and open world, varied gameplay which I haven't forgot until this very day.

Why aren't these developers, e.g. DICE and Treyarch and InfinityWard are trying this.

Ok, you can say that DICE has only had two SP, campaigns, I think yes the number is two, but for infinity ward and Treyarch, they have been doing this for years now.

First and second Call of Duty were actually pretty good. They had long campaigns and some-what not-so-linear gameplay.

So unless, Activision, more specifically, Treyarch has something so big and intriguing and innovative, I don't think I'll buy it.

Of course after having my first Battlefield multiplayer experience, I'll definitely buy it, but for Activision, I'm done. Seriously. I was a hardcore fan of the series, but now everything is the same old story. Last good game was original Modern Warfare and after that everything is downhill. Black Ops tried to life it but wasn't that successful.

To

Anaron and watchthisspace

You can't just complain about this being linear. Everything in the catogory, except for some few ones have this issue.

Perhaps we really need innovations here

BF3 is boring as ****... No matter the type of game or how many players 90% of the time is running around looking for someone to shoot.. 30 minutes of playing the game is over and the player with the highest kills only has like 10-12 kills.

BF3 is boring as ****... No matter the type of game or how many players 90% of the time is running around looking for someone to shoot.. 30 minutes of playing the game is over and the player with the highest kills only has like 10-12 kills.

Yeah, that's because BF3 isn't Modern Warcrap 3.

• Like 1

Or you can try high tickets server.

And its not always about the kills.

It about winning, losing, capturing and maintaining positions

Dude, this game isn't about number of kills. You can get to the top, with zero kills using the MAV.

I get more kills than that almost every single round.

Dammit, why is Battlelog such a pain in the ass. I can't log in with my Origin account, it just says "Buy BF3 for access." Uh, I did buy it!

This is what happens when EA can't make up its mind. EA classic, EA sports, Origin...everything is linked only its not!

Dammit, why is Battlelog such a pain in the ass. I can't log in with my Origin account, it just says "Buy BF3 for access." Uh, I did buy it!

This is what happens when EA can't make up its mind. EA classic, EA sports, Origin...everything is linked only its not!

Log out and then log back in.

Or restart the PC

So I just finished the single player. I hope so much they NEVER make a sequel. If there is going to be a sequel, I hope they bring some more original ideas and reinvent the wheel a bit more. It was awful! And the press a key for action sequences were terrible, shameless and crap ripoffs from CoD and felt like they were copied from CoD.

Go play COD then.

Do the same thing there.

I don't quite know it works but is there a thing like sign in and sign out? Try that

Gave it a shot, didn't work.

Fed up, I tried my old email from BF2, BC2 and some EA sports games and for some reason my 360 gamer tag is linked to that email. No idea how that happened, this is a brand new LIVE account. Funny thing is, I have 2 soldiers on Battlelog under that email. Really is ridiculous.

If so why you got a rank image in your sig? If 90% of the time your running about barely killing anyone, then your deff doing something wrong.

• Like 1

Gave it a shot, didn't work.

Fed up, I tried my old email from BF2, BC2 and some EA sports games and for some reason my 360 gamer tag is linked to that email. No idea how that happened, this is a brand new LIVE account. Funny thing is, I have 2 soldiers on Battlelog under that email. Really is ridiculous.

It might be that they are running an update or something right now. You should check after some time.

In the mean time, watch a movie

The blowtorch thing is one of those hater things. It means there will be lots of idiots running around with a blowtorch hoping to kill someone, only ending up dying a few millions times and losing their team the round.

This is more than likely going to be the case, sadly. I'm assuming a Blowtorch kill takes about the same time as a knife kill, so the easiest way to do it is probably in Team Deathmatch. For some unknown reason people forget they can be flanked in TDM in this game, so all it takes is a quick jog over to a building, up the stairs, and there's your kill almost guaranteed. And maybe you'll even bag one of the snipers who isn't contributing to his team. ;)

Not to sound racist or crazy or anything, but is there a reason why all the american soldier i see, in-game and when looking at my own soldier are black? I swear I haven't seen any variation.

Not to sound racist or crazy or anything, but is there a reason why all the american soldier i see, in-game and when looking at my own soldier are black? I swear I haven't seen any variation.

Its just the way it is

They are not all Black in SP Mode. It seems that all of the enemies are of Arab Decent. That is one reason I liked COD5, it brought back WWII type fighting.

Yes, the campaign in the game is linear, sometimes strictly linear, from point A to point B and almost all of the time you just have to follow the course. You can't even look or stay at a place for sometime.

But isn't this the problem with all the FPS shooters these days?

Modern Warfare initiated this, then the sequels to date, we have also seen Bad Company 2 which had the same kind of gameplay.

Of course there are exceptions, Crysis 2 for example is the best one of this year. If you own the game, you would know.

What I don't seem to understand is why are they making these linear and more importantly short campaigns.

Perfect example of a FPS would be original Crysis. It gave a good 12-14, sometimes 15 hours of engaging, beautiful and open world, varied gameplay which I haven't forgot until this very day.

Why aren't these developers, e.g. DICE and Treyarch and InfinityWard are trying this.

Ok, you can say that DICE has only had two SP, campaigns, I think yes the number is two, but for infinity ward and Treyarch, they have been doing this for years now.

First and second Call of Duty were actually pretty good. They had long campaigns and some-what not-so-linear gameplay.

So unless, Activision, more specifically, Treyarch has something so big and intriguing and innovative, I don't think I'll buy it.

Of course after having my first Battlefield multiplayer experience, I'll definitely buy it, but for Activision, I'm done. Seriously. I was a hardcore fan of the series, but now everything is the same old story. Last good game was original Modern Warfare and after that everything is downhill. Black Ops tried to life it but wasn't that successful.

To

Anaron and watchthisspace

You can't just complain about this being linear. Everything in the catogory, except for some few ones have this issue.

Perhaps we really need innovations here

The first Crysis was plain great in the sense I wasn't restricted to following one determined route to complete an objective. Loved running around being able to take out objects from different areas. FarCry 1 and 2 were also good examples. Except Farcry 2 was a bit too much drive here and there.

It does suck that dev's are making campaigns shorter and shorter, and then the prices going up and up too :( Skyrim bucks the trend, but it's a different category.

I'm really hoping Farcry 3 pulls through, however I did read it had some RPG elements to it too.

The first Crysis was plain great in the sense I wasn't restricted to following one determined route to complete an objective. Loved running around being able to take out objects from different areas. FarCry 1 and 2 were also good examples. Except Farcry 2 was a bit too much drive here and there.

It does suck that dev's are making campaigns shorter and shorter, and then the prices going up and up too :( Skyrim bucks the trend, but it's a different category.

The first Crysis, no doubt was a true masterpiece, in every sense.

FarCry 1 had some great elements in it such as tougher AI and beautiful open world sense. FarCry 2, on the other hand, don't quite fit in the same catagory. Nonetheless, it was still a good experience

Skyrim isn't in this genre, so we shouldn't count it in. Almost all of the RPG' now a days have very long campaign and open world.

I am not saying that we need 50-60 hour campaigns in FPS, but 4-5 hours won't do it either. Lets say more than 12 hours, at the very least. Then you can ask for your 60 USD

I'm really hoping Farcry 3 pulls through, however I did read it had some RPG elements to it too.

Me too, but unlikely

Heh. I didn't even known there were black soldiers in the game. Never noticed one.

Tried to find one now and when I thought I finally did, it was just a white dude in disguise :)

http://i.imgur.com/C7AKV.jpg