Rank has nothing to do how good a player is. I am a high rank and suck.

Needless to say, it was a pretty one sided series of battles. Which sucked. Those guys were all over the lower ranks like flies, while the rest focused on me. I can only do so much against an entire team of more seasoned players. There's really no excuse why Colonels can't be evenly divided.

It's impossible to balance by rank alone. How do you determine if one should be team switched while leaving another as they are? What if they are in squads? So many reasons why balancing on rank alone is not a good idea.

I seriously have no clue how they balance in Battlefield 3. Because it's clearly not based on either rank or skill... or, hell, even player count. I was on a horrible team, and 80% of the team quit and the game didn't rebalance. It was literally four players versus a full team.

I seriously have no clue how they balance in Battlefield 3. Because it's clearly not based on either rank or skill... or, hell, even player count. I was on a horrible team, and 80% of the team quit and the game didn't rebalance. It was literally four players versus a full team.

Thats happened to me a few times, I've also found it quite frustrating having my squad slip up over both teams to balance the game out.

Another reason why balancing sucks, or would be very difficult. What about the guys that are playing together. It's one thing coming up with an algorithm to divide teams equally, but to do that, and keep players together is something else entirely.

Since I got my new puppy, because my gaming PC is upstairs in my house and we have so far kept him entirely downstairs, I have literally not been able to touch the game. Has been 3 weeks since he has been with us as of yesterday. To top it off, my wife literally has plans for the entire weekend, tonight, tomorrow, and Sunday. I literally have puppy duty the entire weekend, which I really was hoping to play some BF.

So I share this fact because it got me thinking. Since he is a puppy, he does sleep, and a decent amount. So I finally did something I have been wanting to do forever now, and last night in anticipation of this weekend, although it took a bit of effort thanks to all the wires, etc., I set up my gaming PC downstairs on my pretty new 55" TV. Used the mini HDMI cable right into my Onkyo reciever, set the audio to Nvidia's HD Audio, and HOLY ****. I am not sure why I have waited so long to do this. BF in true HD on a 55" TV running at approximately 75 FPS, just incredibly sick. Nevermind the sound was bonkers coming through my home theater. So whenever the puppy sleeps this weekend, I will be playing this game. And hopefully he stays asleep for all of the noise. :laugh:

Since I got my new puppy, because my gaming PC is upstairs in my house and we have so far kept him entirely downstairs, I have literally not been able to touch the game. Has been 3 weeks since he has been with us as of yesterday. To top it off, my wife literally has plans for the entire weekend, tonight, tomorrow, and Sunday. I literally have puppy duty the entire weekend, which I really was hoping to play some BF.

So I share this fact because it got me thinking. Since he is a puppy, he does sleep, and a decent amount. So I finally did something I have been wanting to do forever now, and last night in anticipation of this weekend, although it took a bit of effort thanks to all the wires, etc., I set up my gaming PC downstairs on my pretty new 55" TV. Used the mini HDMI cable right into my Onkyo reciever, set the audio to Nvidia's HD Audio, and HOLY ****. I am not sure why I have waited so long to do this. BF in true HD on a 55" TV running at approximately 75 FPS, just incredibly sick. Nevermind the sound was bonkers coming through my home theater. So whenever the puppy sleeps this weekend, I will be playing this game. And hopefully he stays asleep for all of the noise. :laugh:

That's awesome! I've been tempted to hook up my PC to my Sharp 60" Quattron TV haha

Ok, so you guys got me... But I still agree that FPS games like this still need a balancing act.

OR

Switch up the teams each round... I have yet to see Battlefield do that.

Quick question for the PS3 players. Before I join a game through quick match, how do I get my friend to join on to the same team with me? We always get split up. Do I let them auto match me into a squad?

Rank has nothing to do how good a player is. I am a high rank and suck.

I disagree. While, yes, it is true that a high rank doesn't automatically equate with skill, in my experience with both BC2 and BF3, the team with the highest amount of "high rankers" more often than not wins. Also, higher ranks tend come with more/better unlocks (especially true with vehicles) and experience both which are pretty damn important even if the raw skill is rather lacking.

Rank doesnt award unlocks for vehicles. A new person can spend their whole time in a 4 player (1 player start) flying server and unlock stuff for vehicles.

When your friend joins a server, you should join 'him' and you'll both be in the same squad in the same team, provided, of course, there is space

doesnt always work, i dont even bother with Squad Deathmatch as me and my mates are never on the same team

Sounds like me with BC2 when our son was born and my wife went back to work :laugh: Eventually bought a Turtle Beach headset (100% recommended).

Quick question for the PS3 players. Before I join a game through quick match, how do I get my friend to join on to the same team with me? We always get split up. Do I let them auto match me into a squad?

The only way I've been able to get it to work is to either make sure you join a server not full (hard to do with quick match) or once in game, send them an invite. Much prefer MW3's way of creating a party before you begin.

Are you on PS3? If so, send me a friend request and we can play sometime.

That's awesome! I've been tempted to hook up my PC to my Sharp 60" Quattron TV haha

Do it. (Y) Seriously, try it out at least once. It is just insane how amazingly good it looks. I have seen the 360 version on my TV, and it is incredible how much nicer the PC version looks. I mean it is obvious the PC version will look better since it for starters in running at native resolution, but seriously it just looks so damn good on the larger screen. My KD ratio is no doubt going to take a serious hit as all I have been doing for now is walking around in awe of how damn good it looks. And I also put most settings at Medium to get over 80 FPS usually. I am going to set it to high tonight which still gives me a good 45 FPS (I just like over 60 on the PC), so I technically am only viewing it with Medium settings and AA and AF high and it still looks just absolutely amazing.

One of the main reasons I think I never hooked up my PC prior to this was I afreaid the following would happen...

I am now seriously heavily considering building a dedicated 2nd PC now that is just for downstairs on my TV.

I would have to get a much smaller case than I have now, my wife is seriously not happy that my ugly ridiculously huge tower is not just dominating our TV room. :rofl:

Sounds like me with BC2 when our son was born and my wife went back to work :laugh: Eventually bought a Turtle Beach headset (100% recommended).

I actually have the PS3 surround sound headset, and people are saying it works no issues on the PC, so I plan on checking either it out, or the current set I usually use on the PC, a pair of Fatality Creative, has a 15 foot cord, so I could swing using it as well. I think I will definitely need some kind of headset, or the puppy is going to seriously bug out. :laugh:

Best way is to use the server browser, if there is 2 of you join a server with 20 or less players...doing it this way I almost always end up on the same team...but if you don;t there should be room to switch.

I actually have the PS3 surround sound headset, and people are saying it works no issues on the PC, so I plan on checking either it out, or the current set I usually use on the PC, a pair of Fatality Creative, has a 15 foot cord, so I could swing using it as well. I think I will definitely need some kind of headset, or the puppy is going to seriously bug out. :laugh:

Not only for the puppy but for you. For me, its one thing to be gaming on PC where usually my speakers are pretty close to my sitting position - but when sitting 15 feet away, even with surround, you miss some things audible-wise. Like you, my goal is to eventually get a gaming PC built for my living room. Someday!

Hey Larry, just wanted to let you know I've been using those PS3 triggers you suggested for about a month now...freaking brilliant. Thanks again for mentioning them.

If there was one thing I would like to change on PS3 its the damn spot button. I spot ALL THE TIME but it sucks having to take your finger off the L stick to reach the spot button. You guys have any tips as far as that is concerned? Also, has there been any recent talk of DLC? Still loving the maps, the game isn't stale by any means but I would like to see what DICE has planned or is working on.

good read, really :laugh: hope you're atleast getting a bit drunk while playing, as I do :| :D

Haha, that reminds me of when I got my dog (roughly ten years ago now). He slept beside me while I played Tactics Ogre on the PS1, and I would constantly keep an eye on him, so that when he woke up, I could immediately get him outside before he took a **** on something :laugh: .

As for Battlefield 3, I recently gave my PC a little bit of a boost (nothing extravagant - just a new video card, PSU, and a fresh Windows 7 install), and now I can finally play this game. Wow, so awesome. So this is what I've been missing all this time, haha.

Not only for the puppy but for you. For me, its one thing to be gaming on PC where usually my speakers are pretty close to my sitting position - but when sitting 15 feet away, even with surround, you miss some things audible-wise. Like you, my goal is to eventually get a gaming PC built for my living room. Someday!

Hey Larry, just wanted to let you know I've been using those PS3 triggers you suggested for about a month now...freaking brilliant. Thanks again for mentioning them.

If there was one thing I would like to change on PS3 its the damn spot button. I spot ALL THE TIME but it sucks having to take your finger off the L stick to reach the spot button. You guys have any tips as far as that is concerned? Also, has there been any recent talk of DLC? Still loving the maps, the game isn't stale by any means but I would like to see what DICE has planned or is working on.

Nice man, glad to hear you are digging those triggers. (Y) They really are the best, love them.

And I am happy to report, the puppy can withstand pretty damn loud sound. :D

Seriously though, I had it cranked up pretty loud, and damn it really is sweet. I actually found I was hearing the sounds better than I ever had. I made sure to go into the Windows Sound Settings and I configured the current audio connection to 7.1 surround, and then I changed the sound in BF3 to Home Cinema, and it truly was amazing how directional the sound was. On my PC I have a very cheap Logitech 5.1 sound system, and although it is beyond decent, it is nowhere near as good as my Onkyo reciever. Just so, so sick.

I told my wife today I was going to buld a new PC for downstairs based on how much I was enjoying it, and all she said was "don't forget we have a trip to Europe this year," which to me is not a no. LOL I am going to wait for the new releases of components for this year I believe.

Oh also, it is the same way to spot on the 360 as well, the select button, and what I was able to kind of master was sliding my thumb up and over the stick and still controlling it with the middle of my thumb if that makes sense, instead of taking it completely off. See if you can get that working.

good read, really :laugh: hope you're atleast getting a bit drunk while playing, as I do :| :D

Yeah I actually do not drink really anymore. Has been almost 8 years more or less, just have drank on a few special occasions over the eyars. However I do choose to hang out with a good friend of mine named Mary Jane. She makes me feel pretty good and games are definitely MUCH better when she is around. :shifty: :laugh:

Haha, that reminds me of when I got my dog (roughly ten years ago now). He slept beside me while I played Tactics Ogre on the PS1, and I would constantly keep an eye on him, so that when he woke up, I could immediately get him outside before he took a **** on something :laugh: .

As for Battlefield 3, I recently gave my PC a little bit of a boost (nothing extravagant - just a new video card, PSU, and a fresh Windows 7 install), and now I can finally play this game. Wow, so awesome. So this is what I've been missing all this time, haha.

Yep, apparently you know quite well why all eyes must be on a puppy while they are awake. I am not a fan of **** or **** on my carpet. :laugh:

And kick ass, welcome to BF3 on PC. Really is a fantastic MP gaming experience. :yes: Enjoy. (Y)

This.

Thank you.

Rank doesnt award unlocks for vehicles. A new person can spend their whole time in a 4 player (1 player start) flying server and unlock stuff for vehicles.

Thank you once again.

Rank means points. (Vehicle) unlocks mean points as well. See what I'm talking about?

And, yes, sure the scenario you described can be possible. But tell me, how realistic when talking about the broad audience that plays BF3 is it? I still stand by my point - even though rank doesn't automatically mean skill, there is a higher chance that a team with a higher average rank will win.