Windows port of Flurry screensaver

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

I've spent the last two days searching forums on a solution to this lag/choppy display problem. Indeed, the flurry screensaver works in preview mode, but it does not work in test or after my 15 minute idle time.

I've tried three different types of the screensaver; I have tried several ways of renaming .sCr; and several ways of installing through the /Windows/System 32 folder and right-click>install

I have also tried updating my driver. Nothing has worked and I'm so hopeless on this screen saver.

Here is my system info:

Vista Home Premium SP1

Intel Core 2 Duo 1.83 GHz

3 GB RAM

32-bit OS

x3100 Intel Graphics Media Accelerator

Mobile Intel? GM965 Express Chipset

Thank you.

I don't know how I didn't find out about this earlier, but this is the sweetest screen saver ever! Thanks so much.

P.S. In my options with the screen saver, I found Psychedelic the best. :D

I think I remember this thread... and I think I ran it for the longest time-- Think I have the zip file of it... It ran fine on the video card I had at the time- Radeon 7000 and Ran even better on the Radeon 9000 I had= Though you have to have a good Open GL driver to run it. Or it will crash.

There's your problem. You need a decent video card to run it, integrated is too slow.

Fair enough in 2003, but 5 years later? With all the advances in chipsets there have been in that time? It must have run like a sloth in jam back then unless you had some serious horsepower for it to still run like a sloth in jam in 2008.

andrewdoolittle: What does the Windows Experience Index give you for your graphics?

Edit: my naff integrated graphics Celery runs it fine, apart from erroring if I set anything other than single-buffer in the options...

Edited by mrbester

I can verify that this DOES run just fine on integrated graphics. My last laptop's integrated graphics chip was substantially less powerful than an x3100 GMA, and it still ran fine.

There's your problem. You need a decent video card to run it, integrated is too slow.

Several current-model Macs use the X3100 card and are more than capable of running this (in Windows and OSX).

In fact the lesser GMA900 card used in the last generation of Macbooks runs it perfectly as well.

Fair enough in 2003, but 5 years later? With all the advances in chipsets there have been in that time? It must have run like a sloth in jam back then unless you had some serious horsepower for it to still run like a sloth in jam in 2008.

andrewdoolittle: What does the Windows Experience Index give you for your graphics?

Edit: my naff integrated graphics Celery runs it fine, apart from erroring if I set anything other than single-buffer in the options...

Graphics: Desktop performance for Windows Aero: 3.4. It's the lowest score of all of the rated components.

Very nice screensaver - Runs great on my PC.

But i've tried it on my laptop (which I use the most) and i'm getting about 1FPS :(

It ran pretty ****ty on my integrated ATI X200M, but ATI isn't all that great for OpenGL, and to top that, my graphics card is integrated. However, the ATI x200M is a pretty beastly integrated card

I have a computer with a 845G that runs flurry like a slideshow and any other integrated chipset that I've seen has done the same though I haven't spent any time with the newer ones. If the 3100 is fast enough than it must be a driver problem.

Jesus, a five year bump?

Anyway, the only thing I can think of is that a screensaver written so long ago might have compatibility problems with Vista, but who knows? Could be a graphics issue or any number of other problems.

I'm smiling at how everyone has only just found out about this screensaver. This is probably one of the best screensavers I've ever use, and I've been using it since it came out.