physics problem

A particle of mass m is subjected to a force acting in the x-direction, Fx = (3.47 + 0.405x) N. Find the work done by the force as the particle moves from x = 0 to x = 4.79 m?

Is Fx a function? Or is this a simple algebraic equation? Without some sort of context, my guess would be to simply substitue the numbers into the equation.

Fx is a function with respect to x. That means that the force F will change as the value of x changes. Assuming that the particle moves in a straight line, the solution is:

W = ∫ F ? dx

Integrate from x = 0 to x = 4.79.

Fx is a function with respect to x. That means that the force F will change as the value of x changes. Assuming that the particle moves in a straight line, the solution is:

W = ∫ F • dx

Integrate from x = 0 to x = 4.79.

This is the correct solution/equation. The TS should be able to integrate the simple linear equation by himself.

It doesn't matter how the particle moved because it is only the work of the Force F we're after, which only applies in the x-direction.

yes it is thanks. one more if yall dont mid

A constant force, $\vec{F}$ = (2.57, -2.41, 1.13) N, acts on an object of mass 11.9 kg, causing a displacement of that object by $\vec{r}$ = (3.93, 3.91, -3.61) m. What is the total work done by this force?

i tried sqrt(Fx^2 + Fy^2 + Fz^2) = Fnet

then sqrt(Rx^2 + Ry^2 + Rz^2) = Rnet

then Rnet * Fnet = Work

but that didn't work.. then i tried Rnet * Fnet * Mass but taht didnt work either

yes it is thanks. one more if yall dont mid

A constant force, $\vec{F}$ = (2.57, -2.41, 1.13) N, acts on an object of mass 11.9 kg, causing a displacement of that object by $\vec{r}$ = (3.93, 3.91, -3.61) m. What is the total work done by this force?

i tried sqrt(Fx^2 + Fy^2 + Fz^2) = Fnet

then sqrt(Rx^2 + Ry^2 + Rz^2) = Rnet

then Rnet * Fnet = Work

but that didn't work.. then i tried Rnet * Fnet * Mass but taht didnt work either

You need the component of the force that is PARALLEL to the direction that the mass moves in. Use trigonometry to resolve the component of the force in the direction in which the mass is moving, and multiply that component by the distance.

Work done is F.dS. It is the dot product of force vector and displacement vector. You just need to calculate the dot product of the two vectors. Since it is already given in the x,y,z component form, you just have to multiply the x,y,z components of both the vectors and add them.

W = F (dot) d. Or W = dot product of constant force and displacement.

Look up on how to do dot products on vectors.

Apparently I'm terrible at maths. This is the better solution. :D

For the record, my brains are currents oosing out the side of my head from this post. :yes:

Why? It's simple physics. I am currently studying all this in 11th standard.

Why? It's simple physics. I am currently studying all this in 11th standard.

I bet it's easy if you new any kind of physics. Math hates me. :yes:

Don't get me wrong, I can add, subtract, multiple and divide.

Maybe this is why i'm not any good at programming :laugh: