Dirtiest Computer You've Ever Seen?

I used to do PC repair at Circuit City before it went out of business so I had a few bad stories involving pest feces and cockroaches and miles of dust. However BY FAR the worst ever was a lady who brought in her laptop with "water damage" that came about from her (spoiler tagged for how nasty it is)

"live squirting web cam shows"

Of course she didn't let us know of this until AFTER we handled the laptop, Circuit paid for us to get STD tests just in-case ;).

Holy crap dude did we encounter the same woman at different times? Where I worked a woman brought in a laptop because she spilled "wine" on it. It was after she paid for it and was about to leave she told my coworker in this giggly school girl way what it was. Suffice to say glove investment turned out to be a good thing.

I used to do PC repair at Circuit City before it went out of business so I had a few bad stories involving pest feces and cockroaches and miles of dust. However BY FAR the worst ever was a lady who brought in her laptop with "water damage" that came about from her (spoiler tagged for how nasty it is)

Of course she didn't let us know of this until AFTER we handled the laptop, Circuit paid for us to get STD tests just in-case ;).

Whaaaat :rofl:

sum old ones i saw long time ago

Seriously :blink:

How do people let their stuff get that bad?

I must clean mine every 6 months or so and I think the slight dust that gets in mine is bad!

The dead mouse/rat...yeah, when working as a PC tech way back when, someone had brought one in that the mouse(mice) had long since abandoned but their little nest and droppings and dried urine all over the mainboard were surely the cause of it not working.

Funny thing, old DOS box and I forgot to hookup the mouse when I started it up, came up to the boot screen and stopped: Mouse Not Present :)

Was she hot?

And on topic:

have a PC here that we havent opened up..but everytime the fans start to spin up (during heavy workload..) it spits out clouds of dust.

And this is the PC that is running our wallboard..

I cleaned out 3 of my PCs last week since I was working on them, and surprising very little dirt and dust at all. I had an air duster which disturbed all the dust which made it seem worse but even on my three year old PC there was very little.

In my old job though the PCs were a mess inside, I used to take them in to the workshop and used an airline and blower to clean them out and once the whole workshop dissapeared in a fog of dirt and dust from inside one PC :blink:

The workshop was only a midsized one it only fitted four cars being worked on at the same time but still thats a large area, oddly the mechanics moaned at me as they couldn't keep working cause of all the crap in the air LOL

Worst one I saw was also in the early 90s when I had a computer company. A customer wanted their computer cleaned out. One of the slots in the back was missing its cover, usually no big deal. Apparently a rat thought the inside was a good place to have babies and forget about them. So I had to clean dead rat babies form the inside.

Ewwwwww That made my skin crawl

post-88490-0-97348000-1302149915.jpg

:x I don't feel like having lunch now

I am one to try and keep my computer as clean as possible, every other month I get the side off and give it a quick whisk around.

I could never let my computer get as bad as the ones described and pictured here :blink:

my goodness!!! how do those PCs even RUN???

i remember not once cleaning my Pc for over a year. That was when i didnt know how to open the casing :p but when i did it wasnt that bad.

Oh God, I hate people that smoke in front of their computers. You can ALWAYS tell. The dust is a sickly brown (I've seen some cases where it was VERY dark. They must have smoked a pack a day in front of those things) and whenever it's on, you can always smell the waft of stale cigarette butts coming out of the outtake vents.

Whether they smoke or not, the dust in a computer will usually always be a nasty brown. it's not because of the smoke actually. the heat in the computer burns the dust and makes it brown, basically it gets baked over time. computers from smokers do stink really bad though.

My job is fixing up computers to run various types of medical instruments.

Thankfully I've never had one with "biologicals" inside, but seeing how nasty these computers get sometimes makes you reconsider having blood work done in a lab.

The worst I've seen is about like the one in the first page - a nice thick coat of dust. The weirdest was the time we found a dead gecko inside one. I've also seen dead and live insects.

We work 30-50 computers per week and use a combination of an ESD-safe vacuum and a compressed air line to clean them. We usually swap the filter in the vacuum about once a month (that's a lot of dust - it's about 15 inches long and 6x6" square).

This is about as bad as mine gets:

PC-dirty1.jpg

Then it gets a quick clean and comes out like this:

PC-clean.jpg

Not perfect by a long way but it works and doesn't have any problems so im not too fussed.

We have a Husky air compressor in our shop to blow out the the computers (doing it by hand is gross and takes too long) but we work in a medium-sized room with literally no ventilation other then the door... so we just take the computers into the hall and blow it down towards the mechanic shop next door.

It's the least we can do to thank them for the exhaust and gasoline fumes we have to put up with. Just our little hello ;)