Is WWE wrestling fake or real?

Its scripted as the story line and who wins the matches but, as far as the moves they are designed to look painfull while doing minimum damage which is really a credit to the wrestlers because it takes alot of skill to pull off alot of the moves that they do without injuring the person they are up against and when they do happen to injure someone during a match or something unexpected happens (not a wrestler comming out with a chair) such as a table not breaking or a miscaculation of a jump its very interesting how they handle the sitituation needless to say its a very dangerous sport.

It's ridiculous that many call it "fake." It's real as in it's actually happening; in that sense, it cannot be fake. It is staged and scripted, with predetermined outcomes; some spots in matches are sometimes improvised, but most are decided upon beforehand. The referees and others often help remind the superstars what they're supposed to be doing at any given moment, but most tend to remember (Sting is an example of a superstar who often forgets spots).

The vast majority of storylines and promos are scripted, with the superstars not having much room to improvise with what they say. A notable example of an unscripted WWE event was at Survivor Series 1997 when Vince McMahon ended the Shawn Michaels vs. Bret Hart match early (and in a disrespectful way to Bret Hart) because it was expected that Bret Hart wouldn't allow himself to be pinned for a 3-count when the time came. An example of when a promo was unscripted is when Edge announced his retirement on WWE Raw last week.

The superstars do actually hurt themselves quite frequently, which is often not considered by those branding it as "fake." When a superstar jumps off the top rope onto an opponent, it hurts; there is no way for that not to hurt. It may not hurt as much as the superstars make out, but it hurts somewhat. The ring base is actually very hard and certainly isn't comfortable for the superstar when they are slammed down hard onto it. Punches aren't real punches with closed fists; likewise, the superstar isn't actually dropped onto his or her head during the tombstone move (apart from when the move is incorrectly executed, like when Owen Hart tombstoned Stone Cold Steve Austin and broke his neck). When WWE used to include bleeding in their matches, it was real blood; the superstar would inconspicuously cut themselves when the camera was not on them.

Professional wrestling is a very tough for the performers, and it takes its toll on the body. Many have injured themselves, some to the point of paralysis or death, trying to entertain people in this way.

What's even more ridiculous than people calling it "fake" is the people who say they "don't watch it because it's fake." It's funny because most of those people watch movies and other entertainment programmes. . . .

You have to be kidding OP....... Wrestling has bee known to be fake for what... over 20 years. Sure, what they do does require a ton of skill and endurance, but it is still just a staged event.

I remember when they used to use Black & White scenes to 'censor' the blood? Or something? I'm not sure what the point of that was...

They did that a few years before they decided to make their programming completely PG, and I believe they only did that on the SmackDown show because that appeals more to kids and has always been the more PG show anyway. Showing the match in black and white when a superstar is bleeding makes it harder to distinguish the blood.

It's ridiculous that many call it "fake." It's real as in it's actually happening; in that sense, it cannot be fake. It is staged and scripted, with predetermined outcomes; some spots in matches are sometimes improvised, but most are decided upon beforehand. The referees and others often help remind the superstars what they're supposed to be doing at any given moment, but most tend to remember (Sting is an example of a superstar who often forgets spots).

The vast majority of storylines and promos are scripted, with the superstars not having much room to improvise with what they say. A notable example of an unscripted WWE event was at Survivor Series 1997 when Vince McMahon ended the Shawn Michaels vs. Bret Hart match early (and in a disrespectful way to Bret Hart) because it was expected that Bret Hart wouldn't allow himself to be pinned for a 3-count when the time came. An example of when a promo was unscripted is when Edge announced his retirement on WWE Raw last week.

The superstars do actually hurt themselves quite frequently, which is often not considered by those branding it as "fake." When a superstar jumps off the top rope onto an opponent, it hurts; there is no way for that not to hurt. It may not hurt as much as the superstars make out, but it hurts somewhat. The ring base is actually very hard and certainly isn't comfortable for the superstar when they are slammed down hard onto it. Punches aren't real punches with closed fists; likewise, the superstar isn't actually dropped onto his or her head during the tombstone move (apart from when the move is incorrectly executed, like when Owen Hart tombstoned Stone Cold Steve Austin and broke his neck). When WWE used to include bleeding in their matches, it was real blood; the superstar would inconspicuously cut themselves when the camera was not on them.

Professional wrestling is a very tough for the performers, and it takes its toll on the body. Many have injured themselves, some to the point of paralysis or death, trying to entertain people in this way.

What's even more ridiculous than people calling it "fake" is the people who say they "don't watch it because it's fake." It's funny because most of those people watch movies and other entertainment programmes. . . .

1. Some performers are on scripts, some are not. It depends on what they like to do and how trusted they are. Jericho, Cena, Edge, Stone Cold are all unscripted. Newer competitors, and ones not as good on the mic are usually scripted. Now, they are nearly always storyline (or kayfabe) - you have to be careful when using script and story interchangeably.

2. The ring base - at least the major promotions - isn't really that hard. Its more like a giant trampoline. Did it used to be rigid, like 15+ years ago? Yes. But around the time of the 'Attitude Era', they made it much softer and more springy.

3. Blood is not always from blading.

4. It is fake. Its just as fake as anything else on TV, excluding news and sports.

Personally cannot watch it. Literally makes me cringe watching a bunch of grown men prancing around in leotards and god knows what else, show-boating in the most ridiculous manor and pretending (very badly) to fight. Then there's all the farcical backstage drama. It's more like panto than a soap. :x

No offence to anybody that's into it, but that's honestly how I feel about it.

1. Some performers are on scripts, some are not. It depends on what they like to do and how trusted they are. Jericho, Cena, Edge, Stone Cold are all unscripted. Newer competitors, and ones not as good on the mic are usually scripted. Now, they are nearly always storyline (or kayfabe) - you have to be careful when using script and story interchangeably.

2. The ring base - at least the major promotions - isn't really that hard. Its more like a giant trampoline. Did it used to be rigid, like 15+ years ago? Yes. But around the time of the 'Attitude Era', they made it much softer and more springy.

4. It is fake. Its just as fake as anything else on TV, excluding news and sports.

I'd have to see some sources for your first three points before I believe them because my post explains the knowledge I have acquired over time, after reading dirtsheets for many years, watching documentaries about wrestling, and talking with my friend who is a pro wrestler.

As for your fourth point, referring to it as "fake" doesn't make sense to me, just like referring to movies as fake doesn't. I think it's more appropriate to refer to it as "scripted" or/and "staged."

I'd have to see some sources for your first three points before I believe them because my post explains the knowledge I have acquired over time, after reading dirtsheets for many years, watching documentaries about wrestling, and talking with my friend who is a pro wrestler.

As for your fourth point, referring to it as "fake" doesn't make sense to me, just like referring to movies as fake doesn't. I think it's more appropriate to refer to it as "scripted" or/and "staged."

First point - read interviews and books. The recent Randy Orton interview with ESPN where he slams The Rock for doing his promos on a script, while Cena does not. Jericho's recent book, Undisputed, goes into some depth about how much leeway he was given on promos, which, from day 1, was nearly total. On a side note, an amazing WWE fact over every other promotion is that they script nearly the entire match beforehand, where most places only script a few major spots that they want to it.

Second point - just watch the ring when they fall on it. It completely moves all over. The aprons are rigid, like a trampoline would be, but the center is on a gigantic spring that moves up and down. In one of the spots where UT or Kane came through the ring and pulled someone underneath 'to hell', you can see the substructure through the opening as its happening.

Third point - blood happens. Yes, as does blading. But its not always blading.

You're right, scripted is more accurate.

First point - read interviews and books. The recent Randy Orton interview with ESPN where he slams The Rock for doing his promos on a script, while Cena does not. Jericho's recent book, Undisputed, goes into some depth about how much leeway he was given on promos, which, from day 1, was nearly total. On a side note, an amazing WWE fact over every other promotion is that they script nearly the entire match beforehand, where most places only script a few major spots that they want to it.

Second point - just watch the ring when they fall on it. It completely moves all over. The aprons are rigid, like a trampoline would be, but the center is on a gigantic spring that moves up and down. In one of the spots where UT or Kane came through the ring and pulled someone underneath 'to hell', you can see the substructure through the opening as its happening.

Third point - blood happens. Yes, as does blading. But its not always blading.

You're right, scripted is more accurate.

Orton said The Rock has his lines written for him, but Cena does not; there is still a script, it's just that Cena writes a lot of (if not all of) his lines. It's the same with Jericho; there is still a script, but Jericho prepares his own lines for it. I should have made it more clear that that is what I'm getting at. I'm not sure how much of the matches are scripted beforehand in other promotions, but as you point out they're pretty much completely scripted in WWE; I'll take your word about other promotions because that makes sense.

In this video, Brock Lesnar discusses how hard the base of the ring is and talks about some of his friends' reactions after he bodyslammed them on his (which is built the same as a WWE ring).

I'll take your point on the blood then, unless I can find anything that contradicts you. I saw Flair blading himself once in about 2005, so I'm not sure whether WWE did anything else but blading. How else did they show blood without blading? Some sort of fake blood?

I'm just glad that when I hit someone with a metal chair they stay down. I'd hate for them to stay down for all of 30 seconds and then jump up and start beating me with one too. :laugh:

For people that think the ring is springy - watch a clip of Tough Enough. When someone who is not trained as a wrestler is slammed, they are in agony.

It's just a matter of training to get used to it and harden the body.

I'll take your point on the blood then, unless I can find anything that contradicts you. I saw Flair blading himself once in about 2005, so I'm not sure whether WWE did anything else but blading. How else did they show blood without blading? Some sort of fake blood?

I've heard that there are some blood packs (especially for the mouth) and for wrestlers not wanting to cut themselves, they can hide it in hair lines and just make sure to not pop it unless they need to.

I have no evidence to back that up, as it was a verbal thing.. however it does seem likely.

I dunno about your fourth point... the news (at least in America) is pretty dubious too ;)

"America is the only country where a significant proportion of the population believes that professional wrestling is real but the moon landing was faked." David Letterman