Youtube buffering is driving me insane

YouTube buffering is starting to drive me insane. It happens on every computer, in many many different buildings, towns, times of day. I always watch on 360p to try and keep the bandwidth down, but it doesn't matter.

I have comcast with well over 1.0MB/s of download bandwidth. The school library is a T3 or T500 connection or something stupid fast. And yet YouTube is ALWAYS buffering. Why do they even bother having 1080p when they can't even properly buffer 360p?

Is it just me? Is this annoying other people? What's the deal here. How can the internet be the future of media when we can't even watch a video w/ out buffering issues?!

YouTube buffering is starting to drive me insane. It happens on every computer, in many many different buildings, towns, times of day. I always watch on 360p to try and keep the bandwidth down, but it doesn't matter.

I have comcast with well over 1.0MB/s of download bandwidth. The school library is a T3 or T500 connection or something stupid fast. And yet YouTube is ALWAYS buffering. Why do they even bother having 1080p when they can't even properly buffer 360p?

Is it just me? Is this annoying other people? What's the deal here. How can the internet be the future of media when we can't even watch a video w/ out buffering issues?!

Solution: Hulu. ;)

no it's not just you

youtube has gotten in more and more dissaray ever since it was bought out by google

google cares more about updating youtube then optimizing it sadly

at this point there is no hope in optimizing it, it just needs to be torn down and rebuilt from the ground up

Sounds like your ping is probably ****

This isn't just my apt. It's my parent's house. It's my girlfriend's apt. It's multiple locations around my college.

no it's not just you

youtube has gotten in more and more dissaray ever since it was bought out by google

google cares more about updating youtube then optimizing it sadly

at this point there is no hope in optimizing it, it just needs to be torn down and rebuilt from the ground up

Figures...

Thanks.

The speed on YouTube fluctuates like crazy, one day I can stream 1080p content, the next it struggles to load 360p videos.

same here makes me miss stage6 even more.

There's also that bug when the "Just watched" screen shows up seconds before the video ends. It sometimes comes up 10 seconds before the video's ended. It's so annoying.

Anyone has that happened to them before?

Same here, I thought I was the only one with this problem, but I know more than one user in this situation, Youtube doesn't reach the limit of my broadband connection, sometimes, not even the half. I don't have a fast broadband, it's just a 1mbps, wich is around 124-126kbps, it usually doesn't goes beyond the 80kbps. Before I didn't have this problem, I have around 1-2 months in this situation

same here makes me miss stage6 even more.

Well YouTube offers better quality than Stage6, but there's many more people using YouTube than there was using Stage6 (and Stage6 required a special plugin, while YouTube just uses the H.264/WebM decoding built into Flash/Browsers)

Could you post a specific youtube video your having issues with.

So for example

right click on it and show video info, example

post-14624-0-44907500-1306185651.jpg

What does the rightclick on video take speed test show you?

another example - here at work.

http://www.youtube.com/my_speed

post-14624-0-10988100-1306185734.jpg

Give us a link to a specific video that is 1080p that your having trouble with and we can tell you if just you or not. Also the video info on rightclick will give you some great details on why you might be having issues.

To be honest I don't watch alot of stuff on youtube other than like movie trailers and such, or links from reddit etc. And never had any issues with ever picking the highest available resolution.

The school library is a T3 or T500 connection or something stupid fast.

T500? Ha ha! I have T9001!!!!

Try switching DNS (don't forget to flush the DNS cache afterwards: ipconfig /flushdns).

With my ISP's DNS things would go wrong with Youtube from time to time, they did some sort of caching, but they didn't really do it well. Use Google's own DNS (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) and you'll probably notice everything better!

Bywifi Video Accelerator - Accelerates streaming video by downloading in multiple parts, similar to download managers. It's not that useful for shorter videos, but I use it when watching longer videos like documentaries. There may be some delay at the beginning, but after about 20-30 seconds, there should be no more delays.

This isn't just my apt. It's my parent's house. It's my girlfriend's apt. It's multiple locations around my college.

The college network is overloaded, probably.

Are you using wireless?

Happens to me at home with FiOS. I am getting easily 5 MB/s download 1 MB/s upload with extremely low latency and YouTube still buffers regularly on a desktop with a wired ethernet connection. As someone else mentioned, I think this has more to do with Google not really caring.

Not surprisingly, and thankfully the opposite with Hulu, the ads never seem to have trouble buffering on YouTube. I'm just happy Google got Gmail right. I use their search, I love Gmail, and I pretty much ignore everything else.

The speed on YouTube fluctuates like crazy, one day I can stream 1080p content, the next it struggles to load 360p videos.

Yes its the same for me.. I normally just let it load up for 5 mins if I want to stream 1080p content and I'm on a 50MB connection so.. I just accept it that its nice to even be able to stream that definition but I tend not to moan a lot.